1959 McClean/Husky Big Wheel w/ 1966 B&S 6hp

Been awhile since I've been active here as I sold the old Rupps I had and now have a few motorcycles, but I've held on to this one. Haven't really gotten anywhere on it, so time to see if anyone is interested.

It is a 1959 McClean Big Wheel tractor, one of about 500 made in Indiana. The company is now defunct, but I have found some old information on it as well as some pictures of nice ones from collectors. It comes with a 1966 Briggs 6 hp, which, while not the original engine, is representative of what it would have had. All the parts are there. I took it apart to start cleaning it up and just never got around to it. The engine is needs a condenser, which I have sitting around somewhere, but it has not been started. The engine has been stored inside for awhile now. Updraught carb.

The pics are all somewhat older as it is taken apart at the moment. I thought I had pics, but I can't seem to find them now. I'll get some current ones in the next few days and post those. Note that the oil was penetrating oil, not from leaky seals or anything.

Pics:

What a restored one looks like:

Located in West Lafayette, IN. I might be able to work out some delivery deal if you're nearby as I have a trailer. Looking for about $100 OBO out of it, but definitely feel free to send offers.

Text/call (three 1 7) seven 0 1 83 four eight to get a hold of me, or send me a PM.

There was one at an auction I go to not long ago.. Then they had some other thing, aboutt he same deal, only it had these big ole bubble fenders on the back and stuff.. CRAZY litle things.. I always bid on them but they end up like 150 - 200 bucks non running and I can't spend that on a 30 inch mower just to have one.. :facepalm:

Cooler than hell though.. They find some WEIRD shit up there..

jeep4me

Very cool indeed.

Another member on OldMiniBikes had something very similar. But no one could identify it, maybe his was a little brother to yours.

Jeep4me, there are some interesting similarities there. The steering, for example, is done the same way with a chain. Not entirely sure what that small one would be used for though. It did take me a really long time to figure out what mine was. Considering the availability of those pulleys, it would actually be really easy to re-gear the McClean for high speed.... :thumbsup:

This one was originally destined for the scrap heap. The guy I got it from had 2 of them, but didn't want to let them go. No idea what happened to the other, but it's probably still sitting there in the corner of the yard.

Isn't that near the border? I am just under an hour strait up 69... I'd trade ya a minibike project for it.. I got a pretty nice Trail Horse beater bike, or Cheeftah with disk brakes..

Isn't that near the border? I am just under an hour strait up 69... I'd trade ya a minibike project for it.. I got a pretty nice Trail Horse beater bike, or Cheeftah with disk brakes..
It depends on which border you're talking about, but it's about an hour from Michigan, and about the same from Illinois.

Got pics? I'm really trying to thin out my collection, but I might be interested in a trade.

Ohh, so like 2 hours one way probably.. I am in michigan, almost an hour from the the MI / IN line, on 1-69

Ohhh I probably have some kind of pics.. I think I have one of the Cheeftah, with a little Briggs 3.5, flowjet carb, and INTERNAL GOVERNOR!! :eek:hmy: Oddball as hell part there on it's own... The cheeftah needs a lot of welding and help to make a nice one from it..

Runs good as hell.. I think I need to build or buy new pucks for the brakes, they work but ya have to have the adjuster adjusted in, like beyond adjusted.. Good Max Torque 35 clutch..

Probably just throw that engine on whichever roller ya wanted..

The Trail Horse has a couple ad ons, but it's a nice strait roller..
OH, and the fenders are Rupp fenders someone added, I'd probably wanna keep those..

That thing is cool as crap. :thumbsup:
Thanks man :smile:

The Restore Kid: I'm trying to thin out projects so I'll pass for the moment, but I'll definitely let you know if that changes. Gonna be moving in a few months, thus the trying to get rid of as much as possible. If anyone is interested in an old motorcycle, got one of them for sale too haha.

Yeaaahhh but I don't think I'd trade it for a mower.. :laugh:

If you get up this way I'd probably buy it from ya..
Well, I'm on vacation with the family for awhile still, thus the delayed responses here, but I'm not totally opposed to driving up and dropping it off for my asking price, depending on what the actual distance is. As much as anything, the goal is to get it out of my garage and into someone's who actually has an interest in this kind of thing, since I'm moving in a few months.

That thing is cool. I am in Monticello, I like that mower, but I do not have a yard big enough to justify a rider.

I would be interested in seeing some more recent pics. It could be fun to put a little work into and flip it.