1969 Tecumseh mini bike advertising brochure

markus

Heres something cool, Its the 1969 brochure for the mini bike engines :thumbsup: Shows a few things to help keep you in check if your shooting for a period correct vibe on your bike as you get an idea of what was being used prior to 1970.

some notables on the 1969 and older Tecumseh's No plastic tanks, or taylor mufflers/dog leg headers yet. That stuff did not start to appear until 1970. smooth top shrouding, (the raised ridge did start during 1969 though because they increased the head size and bolt pattern on the HS40) In the specs you'll see the fact that the 1969 and older small Frame H engines were steel sleeved, This is something that was unfortunately dropped by 1970 though.

"Accessories" shown are kinda odd, some items are typical and standard the camshaft option is confusing to me though, the H small frames never used them, they would not have been able to at that point because they have built in relief hole that bypasses the valve seat. The flyweight cam was standard on the HS40 until 1970. I don't know though if that was something that the medium frame H50 maybe could have utilized as an option (I try not to bother too much with those engines)

something really interesting is the "solid state ignition" option Who knows anything about that ????? I havent seen anything on my parts manual from that era but my interest is peaked!!!!

I was also surprised to see the prism style gas gauge cap listed this early, I have a couple of those stashed away, I never pegged them as being that old. But mine may not be, it looks a little different than the photo in the brochure, I need to check to see if mine will fit in a metal tank (the thread pitch is actually slightly different between the metal and plastic so fitment is a little off when you use a cap intended one style on the other)

this brochure is currently listed on ebay (not mine), Hopefully someone that has the ability to repop brochures will get it as it would be a neat one to have. for now I just cropped/altered the images as best I could to get the best views of it.

markus

Its amazing the HS40 weighs the same as the H25 -35 then you get to the HS50 and its 15 lbs heavier.
You mean H50 the HS50 didn't exist for another 2 years :wink:

that catalog above was for the 1969 models, this is the the brochure from 1971 introducing the HS50:

the HS50, gained a couple of pounds over the others at first, due to the larger flywheel and added tinware, but they all eventually gained some weight as they all went to the heavier flywheels

this is the 1980 specs of the HS50 off the shelf "mini bike" engine:

You mean H50 the HS50 didn't exist for another 2 years :wink:

that catalog above was for the 1969 models, this is the the brochure from 1971 introducing the HS50:

the HS50, gained a couple of pounds over the others at first, due to the larger flywheel and added tinware, but they all eventually gained some weight as they all went to the heavier flywheels

this is the 1980 specs of the HS50 off the shelf "mini bike" engine:

Ah that explains it. I didnt notice in was an H engine.