196cc clone - parts on the way - advise please?

So, I'm hoping I have made good choices for parts. I know there are lots of mod threads, but they all seem a bit different or are looking for different results. I have ordered a PVL flywheel , standard length billet rod, 10.8 pound "improved" springs, and air filter and adapter.

I have removed the governor completely, but went with the lighter springs because I'll be happy with sub 6000 rpm. Went with new flywheel and rod for safety since my boys and I will use the bike...(my fat tire bobber in the project logs). And, who knows , maybe some day I'll use the parts for another project.

I've drilled the jet to .035 , for now, and ported the intake and exhaust slightly to remove the sharp edges and round the short side radius...once I figured out what the heck that was... :laugh: I left the intake with a rough finish. I'll also lap the valves.

That's all I plan to do for now, hopefully I haven't done anything that will hurt the low end..? Or having a decent low idle? I read that the lighter flywheel could affect that. How about the 28 degree timing on the flywheel, is that even a bit much?

The bike will have 22" wheels and the gearing I'm starting with is 12.96:1 (10-24-10-54), but that's easily changed. I wanted to start low because we have some hills and rooty trails where top speed won't be too important. :smile:

How about an exhaust and carb? Are they stock? You don't HAVE to upgrade the cam. I don't think you would have benefitted from a cam without stronger springs and better flowing carb/exhaust. I would have gone with 18 lb springs, but that's not a big deal. I haven't used the PVL flywheel, but I can't wait to hear it.

How about an exhaust and carb? Are they stock? You don't HAVE to upgrade the cam. I don't think you would have benefitted from a cam without stronger springs and better flowing carb/exhaust. I would have gone with 18 lb springs, but that's not a big deal. I haven't used the PVL flywheel, but I can't wait to hear it.
The carb is stock, just drilled the jet. My plan for the exhaust is 3/4" pipe with a 3/4 thread in muffler (the Briggs style one) the pipe will probably end up being about 2 feet long. I need to keep it on the quieter side for the neighbors.

I guess the cam and springs could be replaced easily in the future, but I wanted to get the rod done now so I wouldn't have to take it completely apart again. And for safety... my one son is all throttle, all the time.. :smile:

I received the last of the parts the other day. I'll take it to work tomorrow so I can torque the rod bolts, then I can get it back together and see if it will run...

trinik7597

you would have to take it apart again to change the cam :thumbsup: but if you are not looking for big lift you could just run some 1.3 ratio rockers and leave the cam alone . then you are just into the valve cover !!

you would have to take it apart again to change the cam :thumbsup: but if you are not looking for big lift you could just run some 1.3 ratio rockers and leave the cam alone . then you are just into the valve cover !!
Okay, yeah, was just reading a bit on different ratio rockers. I had heard of them, but didn't really know what the deal was, I'll keep them in mind. I'll try it out first, with what I have, and see what happens.

thanks for the input, guys

I got the engine back together and started it up the other day. It runs well, idles nicely and the throttle response seems pretty good... it revs up quickly. I forgot to mention I soldered closed 4 of the holes on the emulsion tube.
This run was with the stock exhaust, I'll make a custom exhaust when I get further along on the bike.

From what I understand, fewer holes in the e-tube allow for more fuel to be sucked thru the jet. The 140 e-tube that is talked about on here has fewer and or smaller holes. I figured I'd try it, I can always drill out the solder if I need to.