1970 Roadster Color

capguncowboy

I am gearing up for a restoration on my '70 Roadster. The original color looks orange, but the only color listed on the original colors is red. Does anyone have a link to the appropriate paint? Was it more orange than red?

While we're at it, does anyone want to share their opinions on whether it should be painted to an original color or not? I'm really digging this metallic green PC I found. I know it's not original, but it would look really nice with the metallic silver gas tank and engine shroud.

buckeye

As you know, I am also working on a 70 Scrambler.
Not going original paint. It's mine, I'm gonna do what I want.
You can too.:laugh:

capguncowboy

As you know, I am also working on a 70 Scrambler.
Not going original paint. It's mine, I'm gonna do what I want.
You can too.:laugh:
That's how I feel about it but I wasn't sure how it would affect the eligibility if I enter it in the vintage class buildoff.

I wanted to wait until I obtained all the parts, but it's getting close to the deadline now, so I need to know what class to enter it into.

capguncowboy

That is what they called it....personally it seems like a chevy orange to me.
I'll honestly never understand the names of the colors. I've seen one called sunburst orange. It's red. Not even a hint of yellow in it.

So, since you're here -- Original color or custom?

I'll honestly never understand the names of the colors. I've seen one called sunburst orange. It's red. Not even a hint of yellow in it.

So, since you're here -- Original color or custom?
Personally...I like the orange. But would change it to a true Chevy orange...like my bike in this pic.

joshua. c.

when you google the 1970 roadster most of the picks that come up are orange like yours, id say its origenal and even looks to be the most comon color.

delray

i think that rupp history on paint is misleading. bike came out in 1970 so it would be safe to say they use a paint from 1969 and back. for example if you look up 1969 Grabber Orange.

that color does not even come close....:doah:

one of the best things you could do is just take the bike frame to a local automotive paint shop and have them color match it. you might have to clean up couple good spots first before bring it in. the end result will be alot better then trying to pick colors off the internet.....

:thumbsup:

Early "Grabber Orange" is fairly yellow in hue.

Looking at Capgun's bike, what about "Competition Orange" from 1970?

DuPont Code 4602AH I did two Cats in that color. Looks like what that Rupp was.

9a416620.jpg

I had the Orange color for the 1969 and 1970 Rupp professionally color matched by PPG. The color came back as a perfect match to Chevy engine orange (not "Hugger Orange").

capguncowboy

I had the Orange color for the 1969 and 1970 Rupp professionally color matched by PPG. The color came back as a perfect match to Chevy engine orange (not "Hugger Orange").
That's what i was leaning towards. I appreciate all of the feedback so far. Now i just need to figure out ut i want it back to original or get creative with it.

My Ruttman in the pic is Chevy orange...seems like it doesn't match eh. That's what I thought.

joshua. c.

That's what i was leaning towards. I appreciate all of the feedback so far. Now i just need to figure out ut i want it back to original or get creative with it.
original is worth more mony but custom is more fun. Personaly I never liked the grey tank and orange frame combo so i woold change it and go with one solid color for the frame and tank with the engine painted black and decalled like the 1971 bikes.