1971 Arctic Cat Climber Complete Tool Kit

My first attempt at posting on here. I recently picked up a 1971 Arctic Cat Climber from under a pine tree in Rimini, MT that had been sitting there for about the last 20 years. It's in surprisingly amazing condition considering how long it has been out. I should have it running by next weekend. It basically was never molested or changed from factory before it was parked. I'm convinced the reason it got parked was due to the tank bolt failure issue that these were prone to. I pulled the head and the cylinder looks brand new. I found a really cool surprise under the seat. The tool bag appeared like it had never been opened before. Inside was the original plastic wrapped tool kit that I am 99% sure has been in there since it was packaged up in 1971. The complete tool kit and its contents seems to be a mystery on the forum subjects I have read so I thought I would contribute by documenting the contents of the tool kit and posting up the pictures to help out anyone interested. Maybe someone out there is trying to do a museum quality restoration and needs to know. I hope this helps someone. I'm always excited to find out what treasures are in the tool kits of the old bikes I find in barns....or under pine trees.

Last edited:

markus

Thanks for taking the time to load up all those pics and info! Neat to see and something to watch for if I ever come across any Arctic parts/bikes. Bike looks like a good one to work with too :thumbsup:

Awesome find. Seeing those pics confirms that I had that set back in the late 70's when I got my first Arctic. I remember the tiny pliers and using one of the yellow screwdrivers as a chisel, pounding on the end with a hammer and it shattering. I was a stupid teenager at the time and this was just a cheap set of junk tools as far as I was concerned. I've regretted that for the last 20 years. I'll have to look around for the remnants of the kit I had.

What's interesting is that these are a little different from the Saxonette factory tool kit . I've got a NOS one of those that I'll have to dig up for comparison. I think they just added the flat stock multi wrenches to cover the standard bolt sizes.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I forgot to note that the master links are y k 40 chain links. everything I have seen on the climber model told me they have a number 41 chain I don't know if these are the same? wondering if that's the modern-day 420 chain?

I'm always excited to find out what treasures are in the tool kits of the old bikes I find in barns....or under pine trees.
Rimini, MT. There is a name I have not heard in years. I grew up in Helena Valley in the sixties. Rimini was one of the many places we would go to dig around the many ghost towns in the area, speaking of treasures! Nice to see you here. I bet Rimini and everything else is much different than it was in 1967.

Ding Ding

Cool find! Your bike looks very complete. Surprised to see the original kill switch, grips, exhaust, fenders etc.

Those tool kits often never made it back on the bike once they came off. Plus they were pretty close to the exhaust which made their life somewhat limited.

I bought an original 1970 Arctic ssscat II with the original tool kit still intact. I think I was the first one to ever even open the pouch. Was a very cool find once I saw it in tact underneath the seat still.

I can check on the chain when I get home.

Kind of interesting here, I checked out the chain on my bike closely after soaking it in evaporust and discovered it is stamped yk40 which matches the 2 master links in the tool kit. I realize everything says the climber came with a 41 chain but I do know lots of old bikes had things changed up every now and again at the factory or dealer level. I'm fairly positive that tool kit had never been opened when I took it out of the pouch but I guess we will never really know. Just kind of a curious thing is all.