1971 El Burro Sand-N-Sno Bike 0 hrs

This is my Super 8. It has only 5 original minutes on it. I found it at a machine shop in RI about 5yrs ago. They were going to be a dealer for these. They bought two, a Torque 5 model and this Super 8. They used the Torque 5 as a demo and this sat in the corner of the machine shop untouched from 1971 until 1978 when the two brothers needed an engine for their go cart. They fired this bike up and did 2 laps around the parking lot out back and then pulled the engine and put the bike back in the corner. The shop's main business was snowmobile manufacturing and they never had time to sell minibikes. When I found it, black soot covered the whole bike which prevented it from rust. Bad thing was it stained the paint in a few places. I had it for 3yrs until I decided to paint it. The clutch cover got lost so I would have had to paint that anyway so I took it to the paint shop had the fenders and frame color matched then Vintage Motorsports painted it as well as the NOS engine I found. Other than the clutch cover and engine, everything is orginal. I had the bars rechromed as they were a little dull and all hardware was plated. The tires still have the nubs on them and show no signs of use. No scratches or gouges in them. The brother I bought it from said other than the time they took it out in 1978 it had never been outside. He told me his dad had some dealer literature for it but I went back about a yr later and we never found any. I talked to the other brother and he told me the same story about the bike. What an interesting place. The still had all kinds of NOS parts for their sleds. I forget what brand but there was new engines,hoods tracks, seats and many other never used parts. They machines were red. He also had 3 Cushman Tracksters and a Terra Tiger 6 wheeler with almost no use on it. It was tough to sandblast the frame/fenders. Except for the small black stains the paint shined like new. I almost didn't have the fenders painted. That's how nice they were. The hubs and rear sprocket have it's original paint. Out of all my bikes. This is the nicest one. Ever since I saw my first El Burro in a hard cover book I wanted one. It took a year to find my first one and it was the closest one to my house out of all my bikes. I usually don't show pics of my bikes but with all the talk about El Burro's the last few months I thought some of the people who are interested in them would enjoy the pics and story behind it.

jeep4me

I am soooo jealous. That is one great looking bike. It's hard to believe that things like that don't ever get used. And to be found by someone who appreciates it's value and not in $$$ is certainly a rare find in itself.

Way to go Teeks!!

I need to answer a few messages I have been getting. Paint is DuPont Chromabase ? I didn't paint it so I forget what was bought. Seat height is 30". No rims. Tires are molded to hubs. These were made in Lexington MI. Those are rear passenger footpegs. I also was asked how fast does it go and someone else asked if I plan to ride it. I would say top speed would be 20-25mph. That's about how fast my Torque 5 model goes but I have no plans to ride this one unless I make it out to Pismo Beach in CA someday. I have been wanting to go there for almost 30yrs.

Not a lot of luck here. This was the only time. Most stuff I bring home my says "why did you buy that?" Even this bike she said "it's nice but it doesn't run". Now she says "get it out of the house!" It's in my 'Man Room' and that's where it will stay until I can find a show or take it to the dunes.

Last edited:
Don't for get that the State of Oregon has great sand dunes over 50 miles long and covering 32,000+ acres with over 30 lakes ,and Estuary. And of course it is OREGON . I have been many times to Pismo Beach and it is a great place to ride and climb the big dunes but it takes lots of horse power to climb the big ones. But you can have fun just riding down on the beach and enjoying the sun. Both trips would be worth doing . We must have dreams to keep us moving along in life.
Steve

Steve, I will be in Oregon in Aug. We are going to the Redwoods in CA then off to Crater Lake and then heading over to the Oregon coast to ride the dunes. We are flying in so no El Burro but someday I would like to drive cross country (I'm in MA) and go to Pismo. I know there are other spots that some say are better but ever since I was young I read all the DirtWheels mags and they all had shots of Pismo in them. I just want to putt around on the El Burro with my 1970's metalflake helmet. The best rental place I could find in Oregon is SpinReel. My kids are 10&12 and they rent 4 wheelers to kids that young so I think that's where we will rent from. Any other suggestions ? Thanks.

Last edited:
That is a nice trip itinerary and you will enjoy each place My Son went down to the Redwoods last summer and the grandkids had a blast going to the interpretive center and a trip from the tree's of mystery on their Sky Trail .
The coast trip and renting the Quads will make the kids happy . I have never been to Crater Lake Yet but will do it on my VW Trike next year.
Steve

That is a nice trip itinerary and you will enjoy each place My Son went down to the Redwoods last summer and the grandkids had a blast going to the interpretive center and a trip from the tree's of mystery on their Sky Trail .
The coast trip and renting the Quads will make the kids happy . I have never been to Crater Lake Yet but will do it on my VW Trike next year.
Steve

A trip on a VW trike sounds very nice. I hope the dunes trip is fun for them. Last year we went to San Francisco and Yosemite and they whined about looking at trees and rocks! Can't go to Disney every year.