1974 mt1 b piston rings

Hey guys I'm working on a Kawasaki mt1/kv75.i need to replace the piston rings what I see for that year it says .020 oversize or .040. There both available on eBAy not sure which ones to get. Also does anyone know how much trans gear oil. I see a screw, it looks like you remove and fill until it comes out but I'm not sure. Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

How do you KNOW that you "need to replace the piston rings? What method was used to determine this? You do not purchase ANYTHING - Yet. First, the the cylinder bore will need to be precisely measured for wear, taper, and out-of-round. If it does need re-boring oversize the machine shop will tell you which O/S piston/ring set to purchase and rebore the cylinder to match.
Michael

How do you KNOW that you "need to replace the piston rings? What method was used to determine this? You do not purchase ANYTHING - Yet. First, the the cylinder bore will need to be precisely measured for wear, taper, and out-of-round. If it does need re-boring oversize the machine shop will tell you which O/S piston/ring set to purchase and rebore the cylinder to match.
Michael
Cylinder wall looks fine, the rings fell apart when I took the head off. I bike was not used for 10 years sitting in a damp shed.I just want to know what the stock rings that came with the bike.

While the "Cylinder wall LOOKS fine..." is encouraging and IS some good news, it does not tell the whole story. Yes, it rules out scoring, however, you cannot tell excessive wear, taper, or out-of-round of a cylinder by "looks" alone. If any of those conditions exist, (and would not be unusual in a 42 year old engine) just putting in a new set of rings will not result in an engine that runs properly with good power, if it even runs at all. Now is the time to check it out thorougly and correctly while you have the engine opened up. Just my .02 cents...
Michael

While the "Cylinder wall LOOKS fine..." is encouraging and IS some good news, it does not tell the whole story. Yes, it rules out scoring, however, you cannot tell excessive wear, taper, or out-of-round of a cylinder by "looks" alone. If any of those conditions exist, (and would not be unusual in a 42 year old engine) just putting in a new set of rings will not result in an engine that runs properly with good power, if it even runs at all. Now is the time to check it out thorougly and correctly while you have the engine opened up. Just my .02 cents...
Michael
That does make sense and I appreciate the good advice.i will have to find a machine shop that will work on a small engine like this.

Your location only states "Westchester" with no STATE indicated. You should edit that to show the state as well. That way, other OldMiniBikes members can recommend good shops local to you.
Michael

ok machine shop said everything fine.They told me to buy a set of standard rings and i will be good to go. I found the part number 13008-029
but can't seem to locate them. Any ideas.

I've been looking as well,for standard rings ended up,getting 20 over and will have to file them to correct size

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes