1984 cushman industrial truck

Hi folks, yep another new guy, Dennis, my friends call me Den so call me Den I was driving home from a flea market in up state South Carolina last saturday and out of the corner of my eye I see this Cushman Cart sitting in a driveway where a yardsale is going on. Well of I pull a U'ee and park in front of it. Sitting there staring at it I have these wonderful flashbacks of the late 50's early 60's of my uncles cushman cart and scooter (what a blast we had on them). Turns out it's a 1984 Industrial truck Type G I think it's a 15hp engine not sure of the make model# 898463-8410. It runs good dosen't smoke the body is rusted in a few places and the plexiglass windshield is scratched a little. I bought it for $950.00 (and it may have cost me my marriage) but what the hell I got a cushman....Now for my questions..Where on line can I find parts for it, how can I find out the engine make and hp and what is an OEM# I'm no mechanic but i'm looking forward to fixing this up any info anyone can give me will be greatly appreicated..Thanks...

Hi folks, yep another new guy, Dennis, my friends call me Den so call me Den I was driving home from a flea market in up state South Carolina last saturday and out of the corner of my eye I see this Cushman Cart sitting in a driveway where a yardsale is going on. Well of I pull a U'ee and park in front of it. Sitting there staring at it I have these wonderful flashbacks of the late 50's early 60's of my uncles cushman cart and scooter (what a blast we had on them). Turns out it's a 1984 Industrial truck Type G I think it's a 15hp engine not sure of the make model# 898463-8410. It runs good dosen't smoke the body is rusted in a few places and the plexiglass windshield is scratched a little. I bought it for $950.00 (and it may have cost me my marriage) but what the hell I got a cushman....Now for my questions..Where on line can I find parts for it, how can I find out the engine make and hp and what is an OEM# I'm no mechanic but i'm looking forward to fixing this up any info anyone can give me will be greatly appreicated..Thanks...

Hi Den, Welcome to OldMiniBikes.com, congratulations on your marriage:doah: Your Cushman should have a omc engine and I think there 22 hp. Dennis Carpenter would have anything you need for it. He's in N.C. by Charlotte Mtr Spdwy. or online. you should have alot of fun with it. Post up some pics. Do you have a minibike as-well?

Randy, Thanks for the welcome and info. After having the truck for a week I finally had time today to give it a good look over. The engine is a Kohler, haven't found the serial# for it yet or hp indication. but it looks fairly new the truck was used in a plant in NC and there is a sticker from the shop that serviced it, other then some minor body damage it appears it was well taken care of. I will check to see if they are still in business tomorrow (maybe get some service records if I'm lucky). there is some vibration in the front end, though tightening down the motor mounts helped some. I'd like to remove the govenor any suggestions or help would be great. No bike yet, maybe after the divorice..ha ha ha...up date...the engine info decal is there but completly unreadable, just a blank silver decal :(...

Last edited:
when I called cushman to order a manual they told me it came with a 12 hp engine.The engine in it noe is a Kohler 16hp. think it was put in in 2002. Don't let the size fool you it has plenty of power and reaches at least 25mph..Now someone tell me how to remove the govenor...lol

16 hp sounds corect,late modle trucksters used a import 3 cyl engines they were
water coold,,you have my permision to drive on the freeways,good luck with it
they are neat to ride on.:scooter::scooter:

65ShelbyClone

My old man has one similar to that, but it has a hydraulic dump bed, hi/lo gearbox, rear PTO, and an OMC aircooled twin. I have what I think is a '60s vintage truckster with a K301 and the cast iron 3-speed trans with a column shifter. It was street legal at one time, too, but it's in a state of disrepair now.

The stock 12hp Kohler flathead would have been a K301. The 16hp flathead single in your truckster now is a K341. The OMC engines are aircooled OHV flat twins with either 18 or 22hp. Many of the later fully enclosed road-legal models got a three cylinder Daihatsu with liquid cooling.

The Kohlers have a surprisingly abundant aftermarket following thanks to the sport of garden tractor sled pulling. You can get everything from billet rods and stroker cranks to aftermarket iron blocks.

Vogel Manufacturing
Blue Ridge Machine and Motorsports

65ShelbyClone..Thanks for the engine ID and the links, although I'm not really interested in beefing it up, just want to get the most out of what I have (stock). It is street legal now, got a permint the other day so the hi/lo gearbox sounds like a good idea. I'm more of a cabinet maker then I am a mechanic, but I'd like to install a gearbox if you know where I can find instructions. Thanks again..

Were are you located. Theres a show every year at the Jay county fair grounds in Portland, Indaina in mid July that is for Cushmans, There lots of Cushmans and tons of parts there. Its a show thats over a week long. There always few truckster there. :thumbsup: