1st Time Builder Questions

I ordered the Azusa Kit with 8' wheels

I'm building the bike for my 11 year old son. It comes with a 72 tooth rear sprocket and I'm wondering about different engine combos. Any info on gear ratio, torque converter and or jack shaft with the 8' tire would be great. Im just trying to figure out a tried a true set up

thanks

Does your 11 yr old have any experience on a mini bike or anything related?
That's where you need to start. If not a torque converter may be to much especially with the 72t rear sprocket. The 212 predator engines are governed and have an adjustment to decrease throttle engagement. I'd grab that and a 12t max torque clutch and try that first. You may find you need to replace rear sprocket with a 60t.

I have the smaller HF 2.5 HP engine on the bike I put together for my 11 year old grandson. Only real gripe with the set up is drum brake. I will eventually change the drum brake to something else.
The smaller engine seems to work great for learning.

The kit came with an internal drum brake that goes with the rear sprocket. Do they make other sprocket sizes that will still fit the same drum?

This is his first 2wheeler he's done the go cart thing. We have a yerf dog with a 6.5 Tecumseh and comet clutch set up but I though that might be too much after reading about everyone doing wheelies. I'm new to the ratio thing,I know the 8' wheels will change the ratio but will it make it wheelie easier? I also want to make sure that if I use a centrifical clutch it will be able to lock up and not burn it up too fast

Thanks for the quick reply I'm trying to get everything together before Christmas so he can put it together

I did use the 79cc predator engine from harbor freight. I have the brakes working but I really don't care for the kit drum brake. I have had to disassemble a couple of times and take my file to them. But they still rub and drag on high spots. I was hoping with use they would loosen up. But eventually I am going to replace with something else.
I just bought a Coleman CT100U. It has 3hp engine and a rear disc brake. I really like the brake set up on the coleman.
My personal opinion. The HF engines are so darn cheap. I like the smaller engine for the kids just learning to ride. In a year or 2 I can always upgrade and install the larger engine if needed.

olddog

The kit came with an internal drum brake that goes with the rear sprocket. Do they make other sprocket sizes that will still fit the same drum?

This is his first 2wheeler he's done the go cart thing. We have a yerf dog with a 6.5 Tecumseh and comet clutch set up but I though that might be too much after reading about everyone doing wheelies. I'm new to the ratio thing,I know the 8' wheels will change the ratio but will it make it wheelie easier? I also want to make sure that if I use a centrifical clutch it will be able to lock up and not burn it up too fast

Thanks for the quick reply I'm trying to get everything together before Christmas so he can put it together
The drum brakes on the Azusa is not good...I have a clutch band brake on mine as well...