2 rod failures, synthetic oil the cause?

Anyone ever try Mil-L-23699 Military oil in a small engine? Had a friend that used it in his datsun pickup and wife's car. Would use used oil from our H-3 helicopter that had 400hours on the oil and run it for 40,000 miles before changing it and it would come out as clean as it went in. If i could get my hands on some now I would run it in all my motors.

So any pics of what happend yet?
No I've been so busy with other projects and school I haven't touched the bikes since the race. I'm flying out Wednesday to SEMA and won't be back until Saturday night and we have a big car weekend the following weekend, so it will be a while before I can pull them apart to check the damage.

I did see on 4cycle a guy is building a steel rod for the big block Honda that will be released soon, I may hold out for one of those before putting it back together.

No I've been so busy with other projects and school I haven't touched the bikes since the race. I'm flying out Wednesday to SEMA and won't be back until Saturday night and we have a big car weekend the following weekend, so it will be a while before I can pull them apart to check the damage.

I did see on 4cycle a guy is building a steel rod for the big block Honda that will be released soon, I may hold out for one of those before putting it back together.
I believe that there is an OEM rod thats steel.
Or maybe its a heavy duty component.

The guy to talk to would be Tim Isky.

I believe that there is an OEM rod thats steel.
Or maybe its a heavy duty component.

The guy to talk to would be Tim Isky.
Thanks Oldschool! I don't know of any steel connecting rods available for the GX200 but I know of two steel connecting rods available for the GX390. Honda makes a steel "tractor" rod for the GX390 (I can supply this for $120) and Jeff Mackay makes a billet chromemoly steel rod for the GX390 (about $275). Jeff Mackay can be reached at (217)498-8250. I hear that even the Honda steel rod is holding up great in kart racing. If somebody needs the Honda rod let me know soon as I am about to place an order for more Honda parts.
Tim

Last edited:
Royal Purple Oil is no good.
Nothing beats the technology of Mobil 1
This is hard to believe. We have run loads of clones in our backyard cart racing days. We used to run Mobil1 full synthetic. After blueing many a crank and rod bearing we discovered royal purple. Never EVER have anymore problems. This isn't scientific testing or dyno testing this is beating the balls off of engines that are covered in mud and overheating all the time testing.

I have run or ran Royal purple for years (there plant is just a few miles away) and had no problems.But in the last year or so I had the same problem with a gx390,My truck and a few of my friends have had problems with it. The must of changed something in the formula...

I have run or ran Royal purple for years (there plant is just a few miles away) and had no problems.But in the last year or so I had the same problem with a gx390,My truck and a few of my friends have had problems with it. The must of changed something in the formula...

A few years ago i worked at Exon in Beaumount Tx. as a I/E contractor. This was right after Ike put them 10' under water. The plant manager told everyone that we had to get the plant back up and runing as quick as we can. He said there plant is the only one in the world that makes synthetic oil. It does not matter what name,or who's name is on the bottle, the color, or the band name. He said if it says synthetic oil on the bottle, It came from Exon in Beaumount TX.

Exon or Exxon?
IMO oil is oil but it is the companies additives that is added to the oil separates them. This Oil is made by 3x ACVW gurus just for air cooled VW and AC engines as it have a high % of zinc in them:

dirt

another one . i used synthetic oil changed it each month.maybe the oil maybe it was a clone. but it was stock and got a predator for the $19.99 warrenty

ACVW engines were using Rotella (they remove the zinc recently) for the zinc additive (the GM EOS?) until the 3 ACVW guys got together together and made LAT oils for Air cooled VW's....:thumbsup: