2 Stroke Engine on Coleman CT100U

Hey guys! I just recently picked up a Coleman CT100U from Walmart since they dropped the price. The bike is great, except I can't ride it on any streets legally. What I plan to do is put a 49cc 2 stroke engine on it. The current engine is a 98cc 4 stroke 3HP. The governer limits me to only about 20 MPH.

My questions are:

1) Will a 49cc 2 stroke produce close to the same results as my current engine?

2) Where is a good place to purchase a 49cc engine?

3) Do I need to spend a lot of money on the engine or will a cheap one do the job?

This is an engine I was about to buy, but figured I would post first before I wasted my money. https://penson.us/products/new-engi...K77U5PcGh-tA4ElTvlqdGjf-woN_afU-fHBoCjenw_wcB

Any feedback is greatly appreciated for a noob like me! Thank you

I'm no expert but I thing you will be greatly disappointed with the 49cc performance, not sure of good options for making it street legal.....................Tom.

I know the engine I have has potential to be quicker (remove governor, add mods, etc.), but if a 49cc engine would be able to put me at 20-25 MPH and I could ride it on streets then I'd be happy. I'm not looking for crazy speed or anything.

I love two strokes. But mounting that engine to your mini will be far more difficult than you imagine, and it will not give the performance you're seeking.

I would love to put the Predator engine on it, but I'm trying to make it exempt from legalization laws. Of course if that doesn't work, then I'll just go big ;)

I have noticed I'll need a new chain and rear sprocket if I go the 49cc route. Is there more to it than that? Would it not just bolt on and require normal engine mounting procedures (throttle hookup, exhaust, 4 bolts on bottom)?

SAS289

Doesn't appear to be an easy bolt on by the looks of the bolt pattern on the 2 stroke. Like Tom S said you may finish up the work needed for this swap and end up very disappointed with the performance. Have you researched and found a rear sprocket that will fit on the Coleman wheel for this conversion? What gearing would be ideal? What if you find out that crazy gearing is required and you only end up with a top speed of 12 mph?

I found this engine, a few upgraded parts and seemingly similar bolt pattern to what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=2822183...17182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1219436392884&chn=ps

I've tried looking for a sprocket that would give me a similar ratio to what I have now, which I believe is 12/72. This 49cc has a 7 tooth clutch sprocket. For a some more top end speed, I think this sprocket would work.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=3613524...17182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1219508050894&chn=ps

Of course I am not opposed to putting the Predator 212 on here either if this 49cc thing isn't going to work out. Has anyone put a Predator on a CT100U? I've seen tons on the 200, but not the 100. Will it even fit?

jeez, an engine swap is a bit silly when you can literally take a phillips head screwdriver and pull the limiter back and pick up 10+ mph. lol

Mine bone stock out of the box would go 18 mph before the limiter took over. Pulling that screw back to remove the limiter would allow it to get up to 28-30 mph or so.

With some more tweaking ive gotten my little 100 to hit 33-34 mph on flat ground and up to 36-37 down a slight hill.

I havent spent a dollar by the way, just playing with whats there, throttle linkage to open TB 100%, drilled some holes in the air box, higher tire pressure.