.22LR ammo question

I hear all the "SCARE" stories that there is NO .22LR ammo to be found anywhere, then the next person I talk to says "Oh, my brother says there is 550 round boxes, like 10-20 ina ll the walmart stores down in SC where he lives."

So what do you guys see in your local area? Plentiful or scarce?

Here it can be found but you usually pay good money for it unless you are one of the few that has the inside scoop when Walmart gets some in.

so I bought every box they had.
And that's why you can't find it. Folks around here are doing the same thing with all ammo. They wait at a local chain store for instance on Thursday morning, two hours before the store opens.

Then they line up at the gun counter and wait another two hours until the trucks are unloaded. (And argue about who was first)

Then they go and hang out in their garages and brag to their buddies about having XXX-thousand rounds of XXX ammo. And they'll sell it too, at a price.

Stocks aren't making it to the store inventories even.

And that's why you can't find it. Folks around here are doing the same thing with all ammo. They wait at a local chain store for instance on Thursday morning, two hours before the store opens.

Then they line up at the gun counter and wait another two hours until the trucks are unloaded. (And argue about who was first)

Then they go and hang out in their garages and brag to their buddies about having XXX-thousand rounds of XXX ammo. And they'll sell it too, at a price.

they all look like homeless people waiting for ammo!

I dont sell it.

But if I happen to walk into a store at the right time and I have the money then tough.

HOARD that shit....

https://www.biddergy.com/detail.asp...72-CCI-Quiet-22-22LR-40-Grain-Lead-Round-Nose

You know, these bullets they are selling you NOW DAYS will be worthless in ten years, because the primers go dead.. :mellow:

Ammo is ALSO STUPID EXPENSIVE BECAUSE!!!!

NOT ONLY, is there like a %60 :eek:hmy: OBAMACARE TAX on all ammo sold now...

But department of homeland security is buying it up JUST AS FAST as the hoarders...

Around here 22 is impossible to buy... well, I mean, you can buy a 50 box on internet auction sites for TEN DOLLARS A BOX!!!! :angry:

Thats why hoarders are not worried.. They bought thousands of rounds 15 years ago, when they COULD buy ammo... Because WE HAVE KNOWN THIS WAS COMING for decades now... :mellow:

We bought our kids .22 rifles for Christmas after going to a youth shoot this year and them LOVING it. Now I question if that was a good idea because finding ammo is near impossible unless you want to spend the night at Walmart OR pay $10-15 per box of 50 when somebody decides they need to make a quick buck. I have some but with it being as rare as it is I cringe when I think about shooting it.

If I have to pay $10 for 50 rounds of .22 it's almost as cheap just to shoot 9mm and they seem to be a lot easier to find!!

My Walmart hasnt had any .22lr, .22 mag or .17hmr in a very long time! They "claim" :shifty: they dont get any!! But they regularly have .45, .9mm, .40 :shrug:

Our local Dunhams has .17HMR but they want $17.99 for the same exact box that I can drive to Columbus and get for $9.99-$11.99 any day of the week. Same gun shop in Columbus had 325 round boxes of .22LR $21.99 but was limit 1 box per customer.

Anymore if I want to buy something like a gun or ammo I just get in the car and enjoy the drive. When I was looking for my M&P Shield everywhere local wanted $499-$550 so I looked at the ad in Columbus and they had the same exact one for $349. Non of the local shops would even budge on there prices. At the same time they had the M&P 15-22 on sale for $399 compare to every one else's $499-$500 price

So did you get the M&P 15-22?
No, I got my Shield but I REALLY want a M&P 15-22. They had a pink camo one there that day that my wife loved. She will probably get one before I do since I have bought 2 in new toys in about a 2 month period, LOL!

I have a GSG5-22 that I like but I do like M&P 15-22 better.

No, I got my Shield but I REALLY want a M&P 15-22. They had a pink camo one there that day that my wife loved. She will probably get one before I do since I have bought 2 in new toys in about a 2 month period, LOL!

I have a GSG5-22 that I like but I do like M&P 15-22 better.
I bought the Colt M-4 shortly after they came out. I really like it, goes with me most of the time when I go plinking!

I dont sell it.

But if I happen to walk into a store at the right time and I have the money then tough.
I wasn't accusing you specifically, just pointing out what the current mentality is regarding ammo, especially when we see:

But department of homeland security is buying it up JUST AS FAST as the hoarders.
When in reality, the US Government (including ALL agencies) have not raised their contracted requirements for AMMO in the past six years.

The RFQ's (request for quotes) are on line (Fed Biz Ops) for the various AMMO, and it's easy to see the Gov requirements and compare them.

This includes my best buddies, the IRS. Yes, even they have weapons. Scary thought that.

Once the hoarding stops, there will be plenty of AMMO for everyone, and like TRK says, in about a decade, we'll start hearing more about misfires, hangfires, and cook-offs at house fires.

Was'nt there a law passed a few years ago that restricted the sale of ammo through online/phone orders to California? Someone I know said they just got two 550 packs shipped from Cabela's! Did this law ever go into effect :shrug:

the US Government (including ALL agencies) have not raised their contracted requirements for AMMO in the past six years.
And how long has ammo been drying up? :shrug: You know, companies have contracts to the government, that they have to fill, before any ammo goes out to anybody else..

Government doesn't even use 22.... Just can't buy it because we are working our ass off to keep up with the feds desire for bullets...

I don't have to worry about it.. I HAVE plenty of bullets... The ridiculous prices are all on you.. :laugh:

And how long has ammo been drying up? :shrug: You know, companies have contracts to the government, that they have to fill, before any ammo goes out to anybody else.. [/QUOTE

No, the contracts run for five years, but are filled on an annual basis with automatic extensions each year if performance is met. There have been government contracts for ammunition since 1776.

In the past six years, the requirement hasn't changed. The ammo has been drying up for about as long as certain segments of our society have been trying to create scary monsters in our government.

Weapons (guns) sales have also increased for the same reason.