.22LR ammo question

toomanytoys

I can find it if I look. I have 100 525 boxes in the safe. Mostly federal.

Not hoarding I just pick up a box every time I see it. It's out there. I was buying a box a week between Walmart and rural king.

We usually shoot about 1000 rounds a month plinking out of various 22s probably 400 rounds of .223 out of the ar15s 200 rounds of various stuff total .308 30-06 and 17 hmr

Last edited:
Was'nt there a law passed a few years ago that restricted the sale of ammo through online/phone orders to California? Someone I know said they just got two 550 packs shipped from Cabela's! Did this law ever go into effect :shrug:
nothing to san fransicko, sacramento, or L.A. everywhere else ok

9mm is starting to become more available around here but .22 and .38 are still hard to find,unless I go to one of the local gun shows where every redneck is selling tons of it for stupid high prices.

9mm is starting to become more available around here but .22 and .38 are still hard to find,unless I go to one of the local gun shows where every redneck is selling tons of it for stupid high prices.
I walked into walmart last night had a self full of 9mm 45 40 38 357 223 762x39 and 308 so its coming back.

i have no problem getting loaded 223 from a local gunsmith. 8 bucks a box
all day long.

i also reload tons of 223 and get my once fired and bullets from Everglades Ammunition and Reloading good prices and delivery is
included in the price.

a while ago i called CCI and asked about shortages on most of their
civilian offerings. the gentleman told me they batch process ammo.
they might spend x weeks a year making stingers for the years supply.
once that is sold out there is nothing until the next batch. there is no
factory stock so after they ship the last box, thats it! he said that normally
retailers carry the inventory and sell it over the period between batchs
but when hoarding occurs retail inventories are rapidly drained and wide
spread shortages occur. i got the impression that civilian ammo fills in
gaps between runs of government orders.

sooner or later some enterprising young man will figure out to
reload rimfire!

:thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

What puzzles me is the hoarding. I can understand the people reselling it, but the ones just stockpiling it not so much.

The only real use for a .22 I see is as a SHTF ($h!t hits the fan) survival arm mostly for hunting small game. They could be used to harass hostiles at short range, but no one is going to make an effective stand against an organized enemy with one. So what the hell do people think they're going to do with 50,000 rounds of .22LR with the clock ticking on the primers? :eek:ut:

I don't get it.

And that's why you can't find it. Folks around here are doing the same thing with all ammo. They wait at a local chain store for instance on Thursday morning, two hours before the store opens.

Then they line up at the gun counter and wait another two hours until the trucks are unloaded. (And argue about who was first)

Then they go and hang out in their garages and brag to their buddies about having XXX-thousand rounds of XXX ammo. And they'll sell it too, at a price.

Stocks aren't making it to the store inventories even.
That's exactly what the clerk at Big 5 told me recently. People get there before they do and wait for the truck to get unloaded. All whopping five bricks of .22LR that they get each week are sold before they even arrive. :eek:ut:

And yet .223 (which the gooberment uses buttloads of) and 7.62x39 are on sale almost weekly.

I dont sell it.

But if I happen to walk into a store at the right time and I have the money then tough.
Just FYI, Remington bulk has a reputation for being really dirty.

Was'nt there a law passed a few years ago that restricted the sale of ammo through online/phone orders to California? Someone I know said they just got two 550 packs shipped from Cabela's! Did this law ever go into effect :shrug:
I don't think so. Someone I know in CA regularly buys ammo online with no problem.

I can usually find .22 LR on Friday afternoon when the truck comes in at the local Gander Mountain but they (the store) limits you to one box (50 or 100). Price is not too bad but still much higher than normal. There is still a line and they have a "take a number" system to keep arguments to a minimum :smile: Once in a great while they offer the large pales of .22 LR but the people line up for hours before the store opens to buy that up.

NY State "safe act" is going to require you to get a back ground check before you can even buy ammo:eek:ut: That is currently being fought and hopefully they won't drive that law down our throat...:no: I luv NYS:hammer:

Kid, you been drinking a lot of coffee lately haven't you???
It's obvious your energy level is pretty maxed!
:shrug: I'm just sayin... they murder people with predator drones... (16 year old kids AND 3 :shrug: in the middle of a crowded street) REFUSE to show ANY evidence at all WHY...

You got these NSA bastards recording EVERY damned thing ya do (people didn't believe they existed a year ago)

Obamacare.. NOT ONLY enslaving you to their high dollar worthless insurance, but at THE VERY SAME TIME writing laws protecting huge drug companies, and insurance companies, rite to do whatever they want and charge whatever they want.. :shrug:

won't say a word about it, because like Obama says (open government) and all.. :shrug:

Hell.. write this obamacare shit, CREATE 120 NEW AGENCIES!! :eek:hmy: as a side chuette of the shit.. Combine the hospitals with Department of homeland security.. The IRS..

MAKE IT A FELONY to NOT HAVE health insurance you don't need, then keep %80 of the details on the law a DAMNED SECRET!! :shrug:

Look what the magical caveman did with a tiny corner of a razor blade.. Have some (Patriot Act)

:shrug:

a "War on Terror" not TERRORISTS.. or a COUNTRY, a GROUP... Just.. War on an action.. :confused:

They create a committee (these guys will get to the bottom of 911)

Here's what happened, THIS IS the report.. YOU WILL NOT ask us all these questions which pretty well proves we knew it was gonna happen... THE HEAD of the department WENT IN FRONT OF THE WORLD!!!!

CRYING TEARS!!! I WISH I could have done a better job.. :sad: But we were railroaded, side lined, not allowed to ask questions, and TOLD WHAT TO REPORT!!!

GOD DAMN GUY STOOD THERE AND SAID!!!!!

we were not allowed to investigate.. This is the story they forced on us....

GOD DAMN!!!!! Watch the news once.. Open a fcking newspaper.. OPEN YOUR DAMN EYES once... HOLY shit.....

Government bailouts....

BANKS.. write up fcked up loans, you can never pay off.. Take YOUR HOUSE.. ALL your equity.. Everything you've slaved for.. STEAL the shit.. POCKET IT!!!

OH my company is broke because I PAID MYSELF... EVERYTHING EVERYONE HAS WORKED FOR!!!

MAKE THEM PAY TAXES to pay back the houses I have already stolen from them... :angry:

NOT!!!! Oh, I guess you screwed up.... Your company is broke.. I guess THESE HOUSES belong to these people.. :shrug: No, HEY I don't have house payments anymore.. I can spend money out the ass back INTO the economy... PLUS NOT PAY TAXES out the ass ON TOP OF buy TWO houses...
while the trillionaire bankers get ZILLIOANAIREIR... :eek:ut:

Retarded.....

For anyone that's a member of the NRA I just got my January 2014 American Rifleman magazine and there's a article about the Ammo issue right now on page 84. Ammo manufactures are running at full capacity to keep up with Consumer demand.

bandit 40

All this gouging sickens me :doah:, the days of setting up a target for plinking are over and the supply and demand is killing the :censure: fun.

All this gouging sickens me :doah:, the days of setting up a target for plinking are over and the supply and demand is killing the :censure: fun.
Agreed 110%, we took the kids to a youth shoot and I wanted to cry when I had to break open the only brick of .22lr ammo I had. The kids had a blast, learned gun safety and became very interested in the hobby. Now I just I am able to keep finding ammo so they can learn more and enjoy shooting all while getting better at it.

Haven't been able to find .22 ammo here for about a yr. The crazy expensive stuff is around, but cheap, or bulk stuff never sees the shelves. Stores that do get it in will only sell one box per customer, and it is gone as soon as they can take it out of the boxes, they don't even bother putting it on the shelf.

9mm is coming back, still harder to find, .223 is coming back, 7.62 x 39 got a bit scarce for a while, but it is mostly back.

On a happy note.....just picked up my Heritage Arms Rough Rider 4 3/4'' barrel SA w/.22/.22 magnum cylinders 6 shooter (for those not in the know that theres a cowboy gun:laugh:) My Christmas present from my wife. Not a bad deal either $166 shipped to my FFL from Buds Guns

GOD DAMN!!!!! Watch the news once.. Open a fcking newspaper.. OPEN YOUR DAMN EYES once... HOLY shit.....
You know, I do wish people would've opened their eyes. Long ago.

The US has been under direct attack from al Quida since the early 90's. But none of that counted because it was happening to Americans in far away places that most people couldn't find on a map. I was overseas watching the lackluster reporting, thinking "when will we wake up." Just wasn't that interesting, until they flew some planes into some buildings here on the "home land."

So you tell me who hasn't been watching the news over the past since December 29th, 1992?