.22LR ammo question

You know, I do wish people would've opened their eyes. Long ago.

The US has been under direct attack from al Quida since the early 90's. But none of that counted because it was happening to Americans in far away places that most people couldn't find on a map. I was overseas watching the lackluster reporting, thinking "when will we wake up." Just wasn't that interesting, until they flew some planes into some buildings here on the "home land."

So you tell me who hasn't been watching the news over the past since December 29th, 1992?
I don't pay much attention to there main stream news.. I mean ( I watch it every night) but usually just end up in a fight with the TV.. :laugh: YEAH local news is brainwash BS..

I like public broadcasting and world news.. News from other countrys..

I like Charlie Rose.. THAT GUY will tell ya some shit.. :hammer:

. 22 Mag?? :eek:hmy: I LOVE THOSE THINGS!! :lol:

Protip from someone formerly in the ammo biz:

At the current backorder rate & production speed, it would take several years for all of those orders to be filled if the orders stopped NOW.

Here's three handy tips from someone who again, did it for a living:

-Stop paying gougers. If you let me make $40 on a $20 box of ammo, you're just enabling me to go out & do it again because I have further incentive to do it. Seriously, if I offered any one of you 3x what you wanted for your mini in cash, you'd take it in a heartbeat & not look back.

-Reduce your consumption rates. Stop buying ALL of it. Guess, what, the panic is over. It gets hahahahaing ridiculous when Jimbo & Ned start talking about the world ending next week, and why they had to max out their credit cards on ammo. Is it a bad idea to have a small stockpile? No. Chances are though, 99% of everyone here is dead within their first magazine or two if introduced into a real firefight. Focus on improving your software rather than blowing your whole load on hardware. That 400 quadzillion rounds of 5.56 you have is worth jack shit if you got eaten up by Donny Deer Hunter and his single shot .243 out in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

-Stop maxing out your credit cards on heavily backordered stuff. Buy what you can find, when you can find it. If you don't shoot it, don't buy it.

Give the industry time to catch up, and stop being assholes about it (like the guy I saw load 800lbs. of propellant into the bed of his pickup from a retailer... HIGHLY illegal).

Last edited:
When ya think about it... I don't see how demad could have possibly gone up THAT MUCH ya know?? :confused:

Before it went stupid expensive, there wer RACKS of anythiing you wanted..

And not only were people hoarding ammo then.. BUT YOU COULD buy it everywhere, so people were burning the hell out of it.. :2guns:

NOW nobody wants to use a round... Even the ding dongs with 8 million bullets for everything.. STILL trying to buy, and won't shoot any....

Are people REALLY BUYING that much ammo at %500 markup?? :confused:

People WERE buying the hell out of it, and it was everywhere... Now all of a sudden it's a matter of (some showed up at the store) but, you are limited to one box per customer, because the (shipment was one box)

I can't see people buying SO MUCH ammo, that you can't even get shipments DELIVERED so it CAN BE bought out immediately.. :blink:

Ya know what I mean?? :shrug: It seams that (sure a lot of people are buying it) but there just is NOWHERE NEAR the amount being shipped as there used to be.. :mellow:

Demand has doubled.. but supply has been cut by 10.....

The just opened a brand new Bass Pro Shop in my area and they have everything, rows of black guns, all calibers of ammo (even 22's) , but they are a tad expensive. Supply and demand.

On a happy note.....just picked up my Heritage Arms Rough Rider 4 3/4'' barrel SA w/.22/.22 magnum cylinders 6 shooter (for those not in the know that theres a cowboy gun:laugh:) My Christmas present from my wife. Not a bad deal either $166 shipped to my FFL from Buds Guns
That is currently number 3 on my firearm wish-list. :thumbsup:

Your wife must LOVE you!

For anyone that's a member of the NRA I just got my January 2014 American Rifleman magazine and there's a article about the Ammo issue right now on page 84. Ammo manufactures are running at full capacity to keep up with Consumer demand.
I read that article just over the weekend.
It makes sense. I think people are hoarding .22 as an investment, and because .22 is still the most economical way to practice with live rounds. I have a little, nothing like a hoard, a few hundred rounds, but I don't hardly dare blow them. Now I am shooting my 7.62 x 54R (Mosin Nagant) a lot, it is still cheap ammo, and readily available. I bought my last 440 round spam-can for $84.

Hey, ya'll remember the good ol' days (just like 10-12 yrs ago) when you could buy the 525 rnd bulk box of Federal .22 at Wal-mart for $8.95 day in and day out? Heck, when it would go on sale for $7.95, I'd go buy 4 boxes and felt like I was hoarding ammo! LOL Back then, you could pick up SKS rifles for $99, and buy 7.62 x 39 cases of 1,000 for $89. Remember that?

When ya think about it... I don't see how demad could have possibly gone up THAT MUCH ya know?? :confused:

Before it went stupid expensive, there wer RACKS of anythiing you wanted..

And not only were people hoarding ammo then.. BUT YOU COULD buy it everywhere, so people were burning the hell out of it.. :2guns:

NOW nobody wants to use a round... Even the ding dongs with 8 million bullets for everything.. STILL trying to buy, and won't shoot any....

Are people REALLY BUYING that much ammo at %500 markup?? :confused:

People WERE buying the hell out of it, and it was everywhere... Now all of a sudden it's a matter of (some showed up at the store) but, you are limited to one box per customer, because the (shipment was one box)

I can't see people buying SO MUCH ammo, that you can't even get shipments DELIVERED so it CAN BE bought out immediately.. :blink:

Ya know what I mean?? :shrug: It seams that (sure a lot of people are buying it) but there just is NOWHERE NEAR the amount being shipped as there used to be.. :mellow:

Demand has doubled.. but supply has been cut by 10.....

Demand went absolutely freakin' insane. The companies are doing absolutely everything they can to keep up, but with the current consumption rates, they're way in over their head. They just simply can't produce enough, in a short enough time, to bridge the gap.

I have genuinely no problem with anyone who stocked thousands of rounds in advance (surprise, I did!). However, I'm more than a little pissed at the guy who brags that he already HAS 50k rounds, and then again, still raids sources everyone else is using to either continue building his stash, or for profit.

And yes, people are paying retarded prices. In CT, people are paying up to $80 a brick for cheap ass .22 bulk pack. For a while, it was over $100.

However, I didn't do that because it's flat out wrong. AR stuff on the other hand I'm gouging the shit out of because

A: I need the money.

B: CT won't let you replace it (the lower, once it's gone it's GONE). This means that once I sell you my shit, it's pretty much impossible for me to replace it.

C: I'm not handing over something I can't replace at all, at retail prices.

CT won't let you replace it (the lower, once it's gone it's GONE). This means that once I sell you my shit, it's pretty much impossible for me to replace it.
I assume you're referring to 5.56 .223 ammunition. I can't find a law in CT's books that says that.

I do see a max ten round mag capacity, but even that law has grandfathering built in.

Not losing sleep over it, but I have yet to see an actual, specific ammo ban anywhere in writing.

I gave 4 rounds to the neighbor because my bro in law found em in a truck he junked.. I figured SOMEBODY should have em.. they're like 48 dollars per bullet now days.. :laugh:

I assume you're referring to 5.56 .223 ammunition. I can't find a law in CT's books that says that.

I do see a max ten round mag capacity, but even that law has grandfathering built in.

Not losing sleep over it, but I have yet to see an actual, specific ammo ban anywhere in writing.
I think in this case he was referring to the lower receiver of an AR-15.

Doc

No no no, I'm saying AR stuff, as in, the AR15's themselves.

Once it's gone, it is GONE & cannot be replaced under SB1160.

I read that article just over the weekend.
It makes sense. I think people are hoarding .22 as an investment, and because .22 is still the most economical way to practice with live rounds. I have a little, nothing like a hoard, a few hundred rounds, but I don't hardly dare blow them. Now I am shooting my 7.62 x 54R (Mosin Nagant) a lot, it is still cheap ammo, and readily available. I bought my last 440 round spam-can for $84.

Hey, ya'll remember the good ol' days (just like 10-12 yrs ago) when you could buy the 525 rnd bulk box of Federal .22 at Wal-mart for $8.95 day in and day out? Heck, when it would go on sale for $7.95, I'd go buy 4 boxes and felt like I was hoarding ammo! LOL Back then, you could pick up SKS rifles for $99, and buy 7.62 x 39 cases of 1,000 for $89. Remember that?

I shot a buddy of mines Mosin a couple of weeks ago, there a beast, I think they must have a 25lb trigger pull. LOL but was fun. I like the fire ball that comes out the muzzle.
I went on a mission this summer to get .22lr for my Henry lever action,Ruger 10/22 and my Smith and Wesson 22s because I was down to about a 1000 rounds going into summer and I target practice with theses guns a lot. I have got about 14,000 rounds now and paid normal prices about 20-25 bucks a brick now a days. but I do agree. It was nice to just go buy some bricks when you needed them before ugly face Obama showed up to ruin America. I guess I should of listen to my Dad back in the 90's and buy more ammo. But my Dad been hoarding and reloaded for decades and has the reloading stuff for the 223, 38,357 44,45 that he shots a lot So these haven't been a issue for us. Also I store all my ammo in ammo case like the military style with the rubber seals that helps keeps your ammo fresh and keep it in the house not the basement or garage.

Just wait to see what happens when the Doe run Lead smelting plant in Missouri close this month. Last plant in the USA. 300 employees getting laid off. Obama back door that with his anti gun people using the EPA. Car batterys and Ammo is there main business. So those will be going up in price I'm sure. and Ammo harder to get.

Am I tripping...or has there been posts deleted from this thread...and if so how do you do that? Ive edited my posts before but it leaves a "last edited" sign at the bottom with a "reason for editing" :shrug: