5 hp Briggs bearing cranks are JUNK!!

I swear to God I'm about to junk these SOB's... I pulled out a motor to play with today.. I forgot I even owned the thing until I got to digging.. I got it at the junkyard this past summer.. Gas tank beat all to hell, two screwdriver holes :confused: Side shield all beat to piss, dipstick tube knocked off... Shroud beat to shit... Head had some broken fins...

BUT IT LOOKED pretty sweet.. :drool: Big bearing backing plate, 3/4 bore tapped long crank, didn't even have a water pump hooked to it.. :laugh: Cast iron bore, THICK ass sleeve.. Valves, bore, guts all look like brand ass new.. :bowdown: :bowdown: I purposely got the thing JUST FOR the crank, because my dual bearing engine was exploded when I got that... :glare: SO... here I think I finally luck out..

SO...........

Today I drag this thing out of the Mothballs... Start to messing with it when I notice...

HEY... that don't look quite cricket... Roll the damn thing around and sure as shit.. Crank is BENT!!!!! I mean BENT BADLY... :angry:

HOW the :censure: do you BEND a cast iron crank... :glare:

SO........ Just a recap... Let me count these junk cranks in my bearing engines...

#1 THIS engine.. GORGEOUS condition Big bearing sleeved engine... 3/4 bore keyed tapped crank..

Crank BENT!!! :angry:

#2 Lets see.. OH... another I/C block, NOICE iron bore, gear box..

Crank 1 inch long, splined bushing PTO :angry:

#3 1980's NOICE small bearing PTO waterpump engine.. Remove the pump..

Crank damn near rusted off due to sitting unused 20 years on a waterpump... :censure:

#4 My dual bearing engine..

blown up MAJOR pickup on the rod journal.. :glare:

#5 early 90's big bearing engine... have not inspected the guts because

5/8 bore, no key, threaded crank.. :censure:

Theres more I'm sure...... :hammer: This is REEEeeeeally starting to piss me off.... I have two big bearing plates.. I guess I can run the older cranks in two engines.. :glare: Looks like we're off to the parts store to piss away more money I don't need to spend... Sure glad I got 70 engines for parts... :glare: Anyone wanna buy some bad ass Briggs BLOCKS!!! You find the rest.. :laugh:

Or...... who has a few GOOD CRANKS for trade for??? :shrug:

C9H13NO3

I swear to God I'm about to junk these SOB's... I pulled out a motor to play with today.. I forgot I even owned the thing until I got to digging.. I got it at the junkyard this past summer.. Gas tank beat all to hell, two screwdriver holes :confused: Side shield all beat to piss, dipstick tube knocked off... Shroud beat to shit... Head had some broken fins...

BUT IT LOOKED pretty sweet.. :drool: Big bearing backing plate, 3/4 bore tapped long crank, didn't even have a water pump hooked to it.. :laugh: Cast iron bore, THICK ass sleeve.. Valves, bore, guts all look like brand ass new.. :bowdown: :bowdown: I purposely got the thing JUST FOR the crank, because my dual bearing engine was exploded when I got that... :glare: SO... here I think I finally luck out..

SO...........

Today I drag this thing out of the Mothballs... Start to messing with it when I notice...

HEY... that don't look quite cricket... Roll the damn thing around and sure as shit.. Crank is BENT!!!!! I mean BENT BADLY... :angry:

HOW the :censure: do you BEND a cast iron crank... :glare:

SO........ Just a recap... Let me count these junk cranks in my bearing engines...

#1 THIS engine.. GORGEOUS condition Big bearing sleeved engine... 3/4 bore keyed tapped crank..

Crank BENT!!! :angry:

#2 Lets see.. OH... another I/C block, NOICE iron bore, gear box..

Crank 1 inch long, splined bushing PTO :angry:

#3 1980's NOICE small bearing PTO waterpump engine.. Remove the pump..

Crank damn near rusted off due to sitting unused 20 years on a waterpump... :censure:

#4 My dual bearing engine..

blown up MAJOR pickup on the rod journal.. :glare:

#5 early 90's big bearing engine... have not inspected the guts because

5/8 bore, no key, threaded crank.. :censure:

Theres more I'm sure...... :hammer: This is REEEeeeeally starting to piss me off.... I have two big bearing plates.. I guess I can run the older cranks in two engines.. :glare: Looks like we're off to the parts store to piss away more money I don't need to spend... Sure glad I got 70 engines for parts... :glare: Anyone wanna buy some bad ass Briggs BLOCKS!!! You find the rest.. :laugh:

Or...... who has a few GOOD CRANKS for trade for??? :shrug:
If you are selling some blocks, let me know.

Yeah.. I just gotta buy bearings before I can put it together.. The bearings are OK but you will never get them off without wrecking them... And the crank is BAD bad.. I gotta get me some acid or works or something and see how much I can clean the journal.. BUT I'm pretty sure she is scarred up pretty bad anyways.... It needs turned down.. :laugh:

I actually threw an older crank in the (bent crank motor) This morning...

I beat on the cam gear with a hammer on the bent crank to drive my old bearing off, then jammed that bearing back on my 1973 style crank.... I was in a hurry (freezing may ass off) and I knocked the bearing back on with no cam in the engine.. :doah:

SO.. Now there is no timing mark on the crank.. :doah: Jeeeeeesus, I put it all in.. Watch the system... Took it out, put it in, about 10 times :hammer: Lifters wanting to fall out, and ramming the piston down tight with one hand trying to twist the crank around by hand with the other to keep the rod on the crank... :doah: Then ya gotta spin it all around just so and wiggle it apart so ya can keep the teeth how ya want them (sorta) And try to wiggle it back together without losing piece of the system along the way.. :doah: trying to get it timed rite...

About 10 attempts at the wiggle system and I get it all timed rite and working... Put the backing plate back on, and the system binds up

:censure: :censure: :censure:

Works with no backing plate, binds when it's on there.. :doah:

I don't see how it can do THAT... :glare: Must be the crank and cam hit each other at some spot, like the cam doesn't have enough room for the rod cap or something when they pass.. The worst it can be is 180 degrees out....

BUT... theres no such thing.. :shrug: It's always 180 out... :laugh: It's all the same parts, just swapped the crank.. I don't know what would do it.. :confused: Must be the crank hitting the cam somehow??? :shrug:

I didn't even look.... :glare: I thought..... WELL :angry: It's gotta be somethin simple.... I better leave it to sit for a while, before I mangle it to death with an axe... :laugh:

Haven't touched it since.. :glare:

Fckt if I know... :lol: I had to plop it off to the side before I went crazy and killed it..

The bearing motors are kind of aggravating to put together. I noticed the dot on the counterweight lines up with the mark on the cam when you turn the crank right or left:eek:ut: I know that don't make much sense but if you look at one before you take it apart you'll know what I mean.Still no fun to put together with the bearings on the crank that's for sure.I just picked up another dual bearing steel sleeved 5HP Briggs.I will be making a tilly carb motor with it.

The bearing motors are kind of aggravating to put together. I noticed the dot on the counterweight lines up with the mark on the cam when you turn the crank right or left:eek:ut: I know that don't make much sense but if you look at one before you take it apart you'll know what I mean.Still no fun to put together with the bearings on the crank that's for sure.I just picked up another dual bearing steel sleeved 5HP Briggs.I will be making a tilly carb motor with it.
HEY!!! I just found your address looking for Randys and remebered your oil plug.. :lol: So I shipped ya an oil plug this morning.. :laugh:

Yeahhhh it's a bit of an :asshole: But I'll finger it out when I decide to play with it again..

Whats the deal with my bushing? :confused: It's new enough to be oil sensor block, but it also has removable front bushing.. DO they all have that after a certain year or something? :confused:

Take the crank out again? :doah: My rod cap bolts are gonna wear out.. :lol: Yeah I was gonna get a pic of my crazy wobble crank too... Wait till ya see this thing.. :eek:ut: :censure:in crank wrecking people anyways.... :glare:

Alright... :hammer: Got it workin.. It was a tooth off.. :lol: I got a pic of that bushing "kinda"

AND the sideways J on the lifter area.. :eek:hmy: What does that mean?? People usually say that means dual bearing.. :shrug: Rite here is proof thats not the case... :lol:

I'm not sure what to make of it.. :confused: It's got this goofy bushing though.. :confused: Not a great pic, but theres like a little dented out spot that fits in the oil passage to keep it in place... Then theres another probably 1/4 hole drilled in it at like 10 oclock looking at it from the inside, but it's just lined up with aluminum in the block so it doesn't do anything there...

Like 1/16 inch or so, oil brass/bronze, front bushing.. :shrug:

I couldn't say.. I have two, one bearing, one bushing... I guess I get 50/50 chances... :laugh: They both have low oil sensors, black sheet metal, and this one has mounts for the lighting coil, but no electric start mounts... :shrug:

It also had a governor arm 8 inches long... :eek:ut:

8 inch governor arm

weird bushing

lighting coil but no starter mounts

steel bore

bent big bearing crank

it's a weird one... :laugh:

It's got some hieroglyphics on the piston.. :laugh:

Raptor block? :drool: I have Raptor rods.. :drool: But whats the point, rite? :laugh:

I think this other 5/8 crank big bore bearing motor may be the same block as this one.. :hammer:

And I discovered two more bearing backing plate motors.. a 68 with a clutch stuck on it and some other one :shrug: Don't know how it got here.. :shrug: Must be a stray.. :shrug:

That is not a raptor block however because they did not have a governer.also where the carb bolts on there is an extra bolt hole on a raptor block.Not all of the Raptors were steel sleeved either.