5hp briggs, carb problems?

I'm new to this site, but I've gotten alot of help just by reading. But I can't get my 5hp briggs on my 70's minibike to run properly, I've cleaned out the carb, put new gaskets and a new diaphram in, and I've replaced the spark plug. The problem is, to get it running at all, I have to have the choke completely closed. If its open at all it just stalls, it should be the opposite right? It won't rev up without stalling but it idles fine with the choke closed, I've been trying to figure it out all day, it's my first minibike so I'm a little new at this and any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Im no expert on small engines but I have a briggs that did the same thing try cleaning out the fuel tank, and messing with the air screw on the carb

Had the same thing going on it was sucking air. The upper carb bolt had stripped and the carb wasn't sealing well at the head. Heli coil and some hightemp rtv fixed it right up.

Also check the diaphragm for holes and the cover for warpage. Out of three pulsajets I just rebuilt all had warped diaphragm covers.