5hp briggs raptor problem please help!

I have just rebuilt my 5hp briggs raptor engine which is on my racing go kart. Fired it up let it run for about 5 hrs to let it seat and its smoking worse can anyone help me?????

That's probably the problem.
Engine has taken a set at a low speed/no load setting. Every engine manufacturer recommends against this practice.
Should be run more or less normally, just keep the rpm on the low side for a couple of hours run time.
I generally put my rebuilds back into service immediately.

I ran it at 1800 rpms for awhile and the smoke stayed the same, so i looked around on the internet and a guy said that the raptor 3 motors have to be ran at 5800 rpms for the rings to seat we did that it still smokes but not as bad as it did. I have NO clue what to try now

What is you ring gap set at? is your crankcase vented? Is there to much oil in it? Did you check your valve guides? I assume this is a steel bore.
I just pull the motor out of my sons quarter midget. It had about 1500 laps on it @ 6300 rpms, The only break in time I give our motors is enough to warm it up & set the carb.

top and middle is .003 and oil ring is .007.yes it has the raptor 3 Oils perfect at 12oz, i think its the valve guide theres oil on the carb side, when i was rebuilding it i took the valve out and brass shavings were on it so im going to get some valve guides and see if it works. yes its a steel bore. Does yours smoke after you rebuild it? I hope its gonna stop the smoking:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

I have never heard of letting an engine run for 5hrs straight..... I usually let mine run for about 15-20 minutes around 2000 rpms until it gets to run temp, shut it down and let it cool down completely, do this again a few more times and then ride it easy with periodic wot bursts for a couple tanks and then have at it...

Nowadays, engines require almost no break-in time, if any at all.
Many, if not most, push mowers (for example) are set to run out of the box at 3,600 rpm and have no throttle control. Same thing with generators. Exceedingly rare that these engines fail due to break-in problems.
Engines that require a break-in time will tell you so.

Last edited:
Very little smoke if any, but I used .010 over rings that were used with a quick hone in a standard bore and set my ring gaps at .003. You shouldn't have any oil in the intake side or brass. After 1500 laps the motor still was not smoking out of the exhaust. We pulled the motor because we started getting blow-by and pushing oil into the catch can. If you have oil in the intake side my guess is bad valve guides and you are pulling oil past the valve on the intake stroke. This problem is not going to go away.

THe oil is from the valve guide what i was saying about brass i thought the valve guide was made from brass i pulled the valve out and i think i put a big scratch in it so im gonna try a new valve guide and telll you guys if it worked thanks for the help so far

the reason i rebuilt it was because the oil was as black as black paint and my kart as giving less and less power each week my rings are .15 on the head of the piston it said .15

How often do you change your oil? I change oil after each race. Oil is cheaper than motor work. I put a pipe nipple and a ball valve on it for quick and easy oil changes. Do You have a filter on your crank vent? We run on dirt and I've seen crankcases full of mud. Every time the piston go's down it exhaust crankcase pressure. But when the piston go's up it creates a vacuum, without a filter on your crank vent you will suck dirt into the crankcase, Also the bigger the crankcase vent the better. I see a lot of people with a single 1/4" vent. I have two 1/2" hoses on my aluminum valve cover running to a catch can and a filter.You want to try to have no pressure or vacuum in your crankcase that robs horsepower. Your crankcase has to displace the same amount of air as the piston is is sucking in. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

i race on dirt also, what tracks in pa do you race on? when i race i have hot laps 2 heats then i change the oil and air cleaner for the feature. the motor didnt have any mud in it the rings were just junk. my valve cover is just hooked to a breather. i want to get back on the trackkk so far you guys have really helped

GRE

there ius a lot of oil vapor in the breather chamber that is how the valkve spring get lube, so if the guide are worn or scorn than that is how youe oil is either getting in the intake port, or the exhaust