5hp stand up scooter

I'm not really into mini bikes very much, more into old hot rods and motorcycles. I just started college and needed a way to get around campus fast and have the torque to get up some insanely steep hills. I had an old scooter with a 1.5 hp robin engine on it. I cut the scooter in half and remade the rear section to accept a 5hp briggs motor. Milled a flange to mount a 53 tooth go kart sprocket. Nothing too special but works really good, does around 30 with the governor in place. Built in 2 days.

Before i put the exhaust on.

Last edited:
Nice Job! I might suggest a chain guard that will keep your legs protected from a broken chain. A good freind of mine had to get 60 stitches in his arm from one of my go-karts that broke the chain. I was running high quality racing chain also.

thanks for the feedback and yes that would hurt if the chain were to go! I actually built a chain and clutch guard out of 3/16 inch aluminum plate cut and bent to shape the following day after this picture was taken.

KB2ROCKET

very nice work I like the idea of a briggs flathead on a scooter I dont know why more people dont do this that scooter's driveline will last alot longer than those ring ga ding ding motors you usualy see on scooters
my original plan was to make a gx390 stand up scooter but even in stock form the 13 hp engine would be to much let alone 30 hp
but back to your scooter I really like it Ill bet its a blast
Be safe have fun

i built one of those last year with a 6.5 hp ohv champion engine, like you did i cut it in half and built a rear end for it. it really pulls hard, and will do 40mph governed!:scooter::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Okay so i went away to college with my scooter and literally rode it ever single day as my only transportation. It has somewhere around 500-600 miles on it. Anyways i was coming home from the beach one day and hit a huge pothole going through the intersection tweaked the stock rear end pretty severely. I was able to bend it back good enough to ride but it still wasnt perfect. I cut the rear end off and remade it a lot stronger ( compare to the first picture above). I painted it neon green to so cars can see me better.

Oh yeah and whoever thinks the gc160 is a bad motor is sadly mistaken. It starts first pull every time and i have done 40 miles nonstop at full throttle. I even get 95 miles per gallon! The only thing that sucks about the scooter in general is that it eats rear tires pretty quick. It completely balded a diamond pattern knobby tire in about 100 miles.

That is very cool. What is the legal requirements for driving it on the streets? I thought a scooter or moped had to be under a certain volume of displacement to not require registration and plates.

i think you can get a better tire for that try a go cart place or ebay, or get a bigger wheel so you can use a better tire. those street tires arent really made for everyday use. looks good though and i agree those motors are great and very very reliable!!!!!

Before i built it i talked to the cops about legality issues. They emailed me various laws and regulations which basically stated that it is legal if the motor is under 150cc and you ride it a maximum of 15 mph. I ride it around 30 all day long and no cop has ever stopped me. If they do, i have all of the information they sent me in my wallet.

Also the motor is technically 159cc but the cops would never know that

cool video! i like those honda motors but not on that scooter. the exhaust pipe is right by your ankles! that would hurt to get burned right there, but cool scooter, i wanna do some vids of mine this summer and will post when i do.

I like what you have done. I have an old Extreme XG-470 I am contemplating putting a 3 1/2 hp engine on. You have inspired me. Why not put a 5 hp on it. Nice work!

Hey guys, thanks for the posts on the scooter, its definitely a blast to ride. The best part is that cops don't hassle me like they would if it was a mini bike... In response to Bushman's comment. Yeah definetly go for the 5hp honda, it just makes it fun to ride and has the power to go anywhere. And it starts like a dream everytime

In response to SmallBikes88, yeah the pipe gets pretty hot but thermal wrapping does a great job of keeping the heat contained- i mean i can touch it after its fully warmed up and it doesn't hurt

Last edited:
Sup everyone, haven't posted in a while i got sidetracked with working on my car. I helped a buddy of mine build a scooter-literally the same exact scooter as mine but with a 5.5 clone. We geared it for top speed although it has a surprising amount of acceleration. Hes doing around 45 in this video. YouTube - High Speed Goped

Uh oh.......

The wheels are turning again and I haven't finished my big tired mini yet. Too bad I can't ride one around here, the nanny law tells me I can't. I'm gonna have to build one anyway. My wife would really dig it.