6.5 clone cam

I took out the govenor on my 6.5 clone today and when removing the cam there was some wierd looking stuff on the backside of the cam gear. Are they some sort of balancing?

You dont really need one. The average person could stilll crank it over. It just makes it Easier, which is the American way of doing everything :thefinger:

I guess the real question is, is there any performance to be gained by removing the compression release components other then a slight weight savings?

I would say no for the average person. I would rather have the easier starting as compared to the fraction of a horsepower you might gain. But for a full out race engine i would remove them cause i would have an electric starter.

I put it back together without really looking at how it worked. The only decompression setup I have seen before was on a YZ426F.
How does it work on these motors? It almost looked like a cam from a car with variable valve timing where the cam is made up of a few parts allowing the lobes of the cam to be variable in relation to the gear.

I guess the real question is, is there any performance to be gained by removing the compression release components other then a slight weight savings?
What you should be asking yourself is, "Why not raise the compression up to 14:1 to take advantage of the compression release!!"

LOL

What you should be asking yourself is, "Why not raise the compression up to 14:1 to take advantage of the compression release!!"

LOL
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA, never looked at it that way.... I sure am glad I did decide to bump the compression up a bit (12:1 or so :001_rolleyes:) glad to see there are still people who can see the other side of certain ???'s

Sure does make you think about the technologies being used today, excellent point to make Stang :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Motra

I put it back together without really looking at how it worked. The only decompression setup I have seen before was on a YZ426F.
How does it work on these motors? It almost looked like a cam from a car with variable valve timing where the cam is made up of a few parts allowing the lobes of the cam to be variable in relation to the gear.

There's a little lever on the cam gear that slightly opens the exhaust valve as the engine is building compression. This only occurs at starting speeds. Once the engine starts, the compression release lever moves away by centrifugal force so it has no effect on a running engine. I'd just leave it and let it do its thing. You'd probably pick the minibike up by the starter rope without it.