6.5 NR race engine + Promod JS = wheelie machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just reading a thread from Shoe about whats not been done to a DB and i think i may have already done what most of us would like to do... I too have been working with Brad from promod to build one bad ass DB. it started with a stock engine and Brad's Jackshaft. 2 weeks later, i went onto NR racing's site and ordered a 'package 2' yellow clone engine producing 12.2 hp and 15.3 ft lbs (they break in and dyno tune the engine for you and provide the dyno sheet per your engine components/requests). Brad's engine plate adapts beautifully and NR's engines are top quality. Brad suggested a JS ratio where it is a 13t inboard (driving the rear) and a 16t outboard (to the clutch) sprocketing.. I also put on a Hilliard extreme cart racing clutch with low engaging springs and 12t sprocket. between the engine power, JS gearing, and clutch; it's challenging keeping the front wheel on the ground!! i had to feather the throttle to start off and keep the front wheel down and get to speed, and even @ about 30mph (when i thought i could full throttle it) the damn thing lifted up!!! im no BS'er either - i was actually scared.. i ride sport bikes around a track with 150+hp, and this little bike scared the crap out of me, haha.. the thing is, i like it. i love it. im gonna learn to control it's power :eek:) if you guys want to scare yourself and giggle like crazy afterward - this is the setup! hell, that's plenty of power to even gear it high and probably do 60. i have a 45 deg. hill @ the bottom of my street, and from a stand still, it climbed up it like it wasn't even there, and again; i had to let off so it wouldn't wheelie! any questions or comments about my set up, what it cost, or where to get stuff - ask away! we're all friends and i'll help you guys as i've been helped by you all.. mini bikes forever!!

p.s. i tried to upload photos but they were too darn big!! promod has the pics and may be able to fig it out for his thread and mine

Thanks for the input , Brad fixed me up with ,,,, I have a 12 tooth clutch to a 13 inboard jackshaft then to a 18 out board jackshaft to either a 72 rear sprocket or a 60 tooth rear sprocket ,, I guess time will tell ?? :smile:

72 teeth sounds like it could be borderline hitting the ground around corners, unless you have bigger tires Shoe.. so are you driving the rear sprocket with the 13t or the 18t?? Ratbike, wow, i should invest in a wheelie bar myself!! if you have one for 9.3hp, imagine 3hp more and 5500-5600 rpm! and with the NR engines, the throttle linkage is short, so the twist on the handle is very 'shallow' - literally like a 1/4 turn is full throttle, so it takes some getting use to. it's obvious it's more for carts and junior dragsters.. oh well, it fits! muuhhaaahaaahaaa

Ratbike

Wheelie Bar

72 teeth sounds like it could be borderline hitting the ground around corners, unless you have bigger tires Shoe.. so are you driving the rear sprocket with the 13t or the 18t?? Ratbike, wow, i should invest in a wheelie bar myself!! if you have one for 9.3hp, imagine 3hp more and 5500-5600 rpm! and with the NR engines, the throttle linkage is short, so the twist on the handle is very 'shallow' - literally like a 1/4 turn is full throttle, so it takes some getting use to. it's obvious it's more for carts and junior dragsters.. oh well, it fits! muuhhaaahaaahaaa
I built mine from scratch...not too hard too do. I used some shocks from another mini project and the wheel is from an old "off road" skateboard from Walmart. I originally built it with out the shocks but the transition into a wheelie was to hard and would throw you off balance. Put the shocks on and it cushions the transition! I can literally ride a wheelie as far as I can ride on a stretch. we live on gravel a road in Iowa and I can wheelie to the neighbors 1/2 mile down the road with the use of the rear pegs.YouTube - mini honda clone wheelie this is my son , sorry about the bad video but you get the idea. This was before paint etc...

you shouldn't need a wheelie bar with 12hp. check out MDB's videos of the guys pushing 20+hp. a lot of them don't run wheelie bars and just stay forward.

i've noticed in a lot of vids that people who say their bikes wheelie too easy sit too far back (like in the video, he's on the back edge of the seat to get the front up). i stay forward on mine and never have that problem. if i sit towards the back of the seat it wants to pull the wheel.

people that say their stock 6.5 won't keep the wheel down just don't know how to handle the power IMO (unless it's geared low, has a TAV or they're lightweights). i had a TAV on a 6hp OHV Tec (in a DB) and that thing always wanted to come out from under me at take off no matter how i sat on it.

Last edited:

Ratbike

you shouldn't need a wheelie bar with 12hp. check out MDB's videos of the guys pushing 20+hp. a lot of them don't run wheelie bars and just stay forward.

i've noticed in a lot of vids that people who say their bikes wheelie too easy sit too far back (like in the video, he's on the back edge of the seat to get the front up). i stay forward on mine and never have that problem. if i sit towards the back of the seat it wants to pull the wheel.
You can do it with feet forward also but look closer and you will see there are no front pegs on the mini when it was orange. Had to weld them on later as on the black and yellow pics...:hammer:Don't have to sit on the back to get the front up at all!

Last edited:
Strigoi, you already said it - you had a 6hp with a TAV and couldnt keep it down 'no matter how' you sat... i have a 12hp with a low geared jackshaft. i think it's sufficive to say no matter how i sit, it'll come up. but, like you said, i need to learn to control it's power cause i do want to wheelie and show ppl how fun our hobby really is :eek:) could i gear it up and solve the problem and go top end?? sure. do i like the low end grunt and hill climbing or trail riding capabilities? hell yeah! i just basically created this post as an optional set up for anyone who wants a peppy DB and thinks wheelies are cool! haha

I dont weigh much at all. About 130 and i have a moded 6.5 on my DB. I dont know for sure but id guess i have around 8-9 hp with my mods. I dont find it one bit hard to keep the front wheel down and i even have a very short pull throttle. If you just keep you body leaned forward when you pin it you wont have a problem. if i sit farther back, thats a different story. People that say the 6.5 is to powerful dont now how to control a motorcycle.

i dont weigh much either; 160lbs... let's say on the high side, you do have 9hp. i have over 3 more than you. as you guys know, 3hp extra on something this small is like adding 100hp more to a car - it's noticeable... i have it basically geared as low as it can be so i dont care how good someone rides - you pin this bike from a standstill, and it's lifting up! it's a race clutch with springs engaging on low rpm's and i've sat forward. unless you're 250+lbs, changing position makes no diff. i posted on promod's thread stating i'd GPS'ed it today and topped out @ 40mph (but VERY quickly); there's still plenty left with the right gearing, but not sure going much faster is worth losing that fun grunt. i'd never tell you guys whats right or wrong cause it's all about preference... i just figured i'd let you know what you were getting into with this gearing and setup... ride safe

Ratbike

i dont weigh much either; 160lbs... let's say on the high side, you do have 9hp. i have over 3 more than you. as you guys know, 3hp extra on something this small is like adding 100hp more to a car - it's noticeable... i have it basically geared as low as it can be so i dont care how good someone rides - you pin this bike from a standstill, and it's lifting up! it's a race clutch with springs engaging on low rpm's and i've sat forward. unless you're 250+lbs, changing position makes no diff. i posted on promod's thread stating i'd GPS'ed it today and topped out @ 40mph (but VERY quickly); there's still plenty left with the right gearing, but not sure going much faster is worth losing that fun grunt. i'd never tell you guys whats right or wrong cause it's all about preference... i just figured i'd let you know what you were getting into with this gearing and setup... ride safe
Set her up the way you like and let her rip!!!!:punk:

Ratbike

that's what it comes down to. it's your money and your bike so do what you want.

i think wheelie bars are lame and i'm currently working on a frame that has one welded on. :shrug:
Yeah, thats what i love about the mini's...you can do it however you want inexpensively!!!:scooter:

I built mine from scratch...not too hard too do. I used some shocks from another mini project and the wheel is from an old "off road" skateboard from Walmart. I originally built it with out the shocks but the transition into a wheelie was to hard and would throw you off balance. Put the shocks on and it cushions the transition! I can literally ride a wheelie as far as I can ride on a stretch. we live on gravel a road in Iowa and I can wheelie to the neighbors 1/2 mile down the road with the use of the rear pegs.YouTube - mini honda clone wheelie this is my son , sorry about the bad video but you get the idea. This was before paint etc...

What motor is that and whats done to it? is that the motor from AGk? looks slick! A+++

Status
Not open for further replies.