'72 Shortster

Hello all, I'm new to this so bare with me. I just picked up a rough '72 Shortster and want to start collecting parts for it. In most of the eBay listings it refers to them as an X90 as well. Can anyone tell me where to find out what parts actually are interchangeable? I've searched through everything Shortster related I can find here.
Thanks much.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
What are your intentions for your Shortster, show bike or a nice rider? Hopefully you want a nice rider because mint parts are tough to find and expensive.
Do you have a parts manual? If not that should be your 1st purchase.
Do you have a repair manual? if not here it is: http://www.3cyl.com/hd/hdmanual.pdf

There are some X-90 parts that fit the Shortster but not all of them are correct for it.
Here is an X-90 restoration. The Shortster will be very similar. http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/851-harley-davidson-x-90-restoration.html
More info: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/i...-here-wisconsin-harley-x-90-a.html#post126481

Thanks for the info.
I guess all I'm really looking to do is get it running eventually. The problem is there's so much more missing than what's here. I've basically got a rough rolling frame and that's it. No motor or seat. I may be in for more than I can handle on this one. I'll look into whether I can find some parts before I throw up the white flag. :blink:

With the amount of parts that are missing my recommendation is to look for another bike. The parts prices are high and a totally restored, mint Shortster usually does not bring more than $2000. You will have more than that in parts to get a decent running bike.

The market for the little Harleys is goofy. They only built the Shortster in 1972 and the X-90s from 1973 - 1975, but the X-90s are worth 3 times more than a Shortster. :shrug:

Post some photos of what you have so we can check it out.

toomanytoys

With the amount of parts that are missing my recommendation is to look for another bike. The parts prices are high and a totally restored, mint Shortster usually does not bring more than $2000. You will have more than that in parts to get a decent running bike.

The market for the little Harleys is goofy. They only built the Shortster in 1972 and the X-90s from 1973 - 1975, but the X-90s are worth 3 times more than a Shortster. :shrug:

Post some photos of what you have so we can check it out.
I was going to PM you and ask what they were selling for. I was up visiting "Amish Country" and there was a really nice shortster for sale in a little junk shop, along with 2 lil indians for 4,000 and 3,000!!!

The guy claims the bike was a survivor. Had 690 miles on it. He wanted 5,000 for it. Bike was clean, but did not run. He said it hasn't been started in MANY years. He stressed MANY.

I believe this guy has watched way too many pawnstars.

Last edited:
I can snap some more pics after work but this will give you an idea of what I have. Maybe let me know how much or little it's worth.

Welcome.:thumbsup: Sorry but no appraisals given here, best way to know what it's worth is to put it on Ebay with a starting bid you can live with and go from there. I will tell you that you are hundreds of dollars away from having a running riding machine unless there is a big box of parts I'm not seeing and even then you have a ton to spend.