79cc mods?

CarPlayLB

Take it off and bolt a bigger one on! No substitute for cubic inches ( or centimeters)! Gas engines increase rpm''s to increase HP ... To get enough power from 79cc's you'd have to spin it to 20 grand. Sorry, cant make a mountain from a molehill!

Last edited:
I have 2 of these on smaller minis for kids that could not handle the 212 as there is nothing in between.

Get new jets for the carb and the Hot Rod Minibike Jacksaft!!!

CarPlayLB

What about a 3hp Briggs for the younger riders? A ton of those around of edgers that run great...and I usually give between $30-$40 for the whole unit. I just hate to see someone throw money at that engine

But if he already has them....

Tempest's ideas are good and probably the best way to help the little motors now, unless you want to start fabricating your own parts.

CarPlayLB

But if he already has them....

Tempest's ideas are good and probably the best way to help the little motors now, unless you want to start fabricating your own parts.
Looks like all he has is the motor and is contemplating removing the governor to get some performance. You OK with that? Tempest talks about solid mods that cost real money. Unless there is an emotional attachment to a 79cc Chinese motor, I'd hate to see him throw money at an engine that has zero potential for growth with the rider! Why spend money on that? Gold plate a turd, and ya still got a turd!
Danny, here on OldMiniBikes we do not condone the removal of governors unless the proper high performance parts are used, such as billet rod and flywheel, which i don't believe either are available to you. OldMiniBikes community is about safety and fun, in that order

Last edited:
The reason I went with them is that finding a decent Briggs or Tec 3/4 hp around here that doesnt need an entire rebuild is tough. The 79 with coupn was like $75 bucks. The 212 is just too damn powerful for a little kid. Even with the throttle restricted, it will wheelie some one who doesnt weigh 150!

The bike in the pic above has a new jet and the air filter. Stock exhaust but I have a header made. With no jackshaft the bike would pull me (235) around but not a hill. Carb mods no jack shaft, better. With the jackshaft, once the mini is warmed up it pulls fine. Nothing like a 212 with a TAV but fine. Nice and slow...

With my Niece or Nephew on it , it hauls butt!

This was pre jackshaft. After jack shaft it will do same speed, but no bogging up a hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOnAf_lJL3I

Last edited:
Looks like all he has is the motor and is contemplating removing the governor to get some performance. You OK with that? Tempest talks about solid mods that cost real money. Unless there is an emotional attachment to a 79cc Chinese motor, I'd hate to see him throw money at an engine that has zero potential for growth with the rider! Why spend money on that? Gold plate a turd, and ya still got a turd!
Danny, here on OldMiniBikes we do not condone the removal of governors unless the proper high performance parts are used, such as billet rod and flywheel, which i don't believe either are available to you. OldMiniBikes community is about safety and fun, in that order
I mean I'm not coming racing with this thing I just wanted something to make it more peppy.
Forget the governor removal, because I don't need that, I can just put a slightly tougher spring an the gov arm so it kicks back at a slightly higher RPM.
So I'm guessing that's it, just carb mods and gov correct. :)

iv got 7.63:1 gearing on my 99cc and it hauls me up hills without any trouble im 150lbs top speed isnt all that much but its certainly enough for a kid. i do have the gov removed and have a hotdog muffler and homemade filter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=D8ogr_3_pqQ
Cool video.
I would tell you my gear ratio but don't know how to tell mine.
The top speed with the gov engaging is 20mph, and hauls complete ass. Did a couple of tests with weight and with about 700pounds (not exaggerating) on it, it was running beautifully, even up hills, and still hit 20mph with that weight on it.
If only I knew how to post pics from my phone. :(

Mill head .050" , install some honda valves with split keepers, 5mm valve guides , longer push rods and adjust height of rocker arms to keep valve train geometry in check , port and polish head, get a cam from AGK and curved manifold , 19mm carb. and filter , header,advance timing. These engines will make 6hp or more with these mods. and turn 7000 rpm without billet rod or flywheel all day long.
Done it !!!