9/11 - Where were you?

Any number opf things in the future could kill me....

Terorists however are not something I worry about.

They failed in their real goal to change me and I suspect to change any of us in any meaningful way.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

Interesting view point. But I hardly see how it was to any advantage for Osama and his band of rag heads to get the most powerful nation on earth [able to kick the ass of any combination of countries] really at war with them. Up to that time [after thirty years of terrorism] they were largely immune. Maybe it has escaped your attention that Osama is dead. They were back then welcome in Egypt and Pakistan and all Muslim countries in between. Sanctuary every where. Now they are rather confined and being hunted. Please take a look at the map. Turkey has, since the Second World War, been westward leaning. Pakistan has seen clearly enough that they cannot tolerate the anti-Christian terrorists to operate freely in their territory. With Afghanistan a hopeless cause for the Muslims that hope to bring down the Western/Christian nations and Iraq an unfriendly area Islam is effectively cut in half. Canada and a hoard of other nations [that were afraid to upset their Muslim minorities] have had to slow down their left-handed support for the terrorists. Even France [land of backward looking fools] has changed their tune since the US put its foot down.

Bottom line: Bush did exactly the correct thing. The Liberal members of Congress cried like stuck pigs but voted to FINALLY fight the greatest threat to the freedom of all peoples of the world.

As for the sadly misinformed folks that hate Bush, they hopefully had their fun voteing for Obama. He is the mishandling fool. Letting Iran become a nuclear power is insane. And will have severe consequences for the safety of the area and finally our safety. But hopefully they did not vote for him uninformed of the fact that he is a Muslim. That would have made it less fun for them.

Interesting view point. But I hardly see how it was to any advantage for Osama and his band of rag heads to get the most powerful nation on earth [able to kick the ass of any combination of countries] really at war with them. Up to that time [after thirty years of terrorism] they were largely immune. Maybe it has escaped your attention that Osama is dead. They were back then welcome in Egypt and Pakistan and all Muslim countries in between. Sanctuary every where. Now they are rather confined and being hunted. Please take a look at the map. Turkey has, since the Second World War, been westward leaning. Pakistan has seen clearly enough that they cannot tolerate the anti-Christian terrorists to operate freely in their territory. With Afghanistan a hopeless cause for the Muslims that hope to bring down the Western/Christian nations and Iraq an unfriendly area Islam is effectively cut in half. Canada and a hoard of other nations [that were afraid to upset their Muslim minorities] have had to slow down their left-handed support for the terrorists. Even France [land of backward looking fools] has changed their tune since the US put its foot down.

Bottom line: Bush did exactly the correct thing. The Liberal members of Congress cried like stuck pigs but voted to FINALLY fight the greatest threat to the freedom of all peoples of the world.

As for the sadly misinformed folks that hate Bush, they hopefully had their fun voteing for Obama. He is the mishandling fool. Letting Iran become a nuclear power is insane. And will have severe consequences for the safety of the area and finally our safety. But hopefully they did not vote for him uninformed of the fact that he is a Muslim. That would have made it less fun for them.
I editied my post because I felt it was not realy a good thing to inject too much personal opinion today.

I think the goal was to start the war they got Oldsalt.
They did but the goal was to get the arab world all in flamed as well as bleed America in wars it could not win.

They failed on one point the people in these Arab countries have risen up.
They have bled the US considerably draining resources and generaly wearing down the moral of the country. People are tired of war and sadly I think its going to go on for sometime longer before any conclusion is reached.

I don't hate bush he had some points I realy liked ( his policy towards African developemnt ).
But Invading Iraq was not very well planned or smart ( the general feeling here is it was a bullshit excuse to invade and remove a thorn from the US side and gain access to oil for US companies ).
The policies of the right to create a democratic free market nation by purging the army and Bathists from the goverment simply made the place implode.
Too little resources put into the afgan problem in the first place. This may not have been the case if they had any stratigic value or resources other iron ore.

The hardly seen hand of the USA in Lybia in contrast has helped brith regime change without all the blood and stupid that Iraq is.
This shows a little more tact and a lot more common sence. This whole thing only cost around a billion compared to Iraq ( not sure what the meter says they war has run up too now ).

In this case there are defections and accomidations being made. There are people we probably will not like in the new Libya. But if they can creat a stable country with a prospect to move forward without imploding like Iraq then thats not so bad is it.

Iran:
Who realy cares?
Paskistan, Israel and India already have the bomb.
This has not caused war but rather frozen the conditon of the boarders.
What is the advantage of nuclear weapons when you can't use them?
As long as the country is stable they are not a threat.

Pakistan however is all messed up and nuclear.
Its not getting anymore stable and without a lot of US aid ( and the invisable hand of China ) that place could spin a part and spill nuclear material and technology around.

Sooner of later you will see terorist gt nuclear material and build a weapon.
It will happen and they will use it.

So rather than worry who has them or is developing them more attention should be paid to preventing groups from getting their hands on one and actualy using it.
All in all things in the midle east are looking up.

It has not excaped me that Osama is dead.
But the idea is very much alive and well.
The idea is terorism can work if you make a big splash.
You can scare the hell out of people and make do what you want. You might not get what you barginned for though and in the long run its unlikely you will live to see your goals if at all.
Now amagine a nuke or bucket full of Small pox in NewYork, Moscow or Tokyo.
Thats exactly what the next terrorists are working on what ever they realy aim is the methods are understood.

Oldsalt

I editied my post because I felt it was not realy a good thing to inject too much personal opinion today.

But Invading Iraq was not very well planned or smart ( the general feeling here is it was a bullshit excuse to invade and remove a thorn from the US side and gain access to oil for US companies ).
Yes, I am quite aware of the general feeling in Canada when the subject is the USA.

Sounds a lot like the common opinion ballyhooed in the USA and elsewhere in the 30s. "There ain't no problem. Hitler is just talking...things will settle down. If we oppose Fascism it will only make Germany not like us. Spend money on the military?...garsh no, we are safe because of them wide oceans. Japan is just saber rattling...let them have Manchuria, it's not important and that will stop further aggressions." Fact: In 1938 the US had fewer tanks, air planes, artillery pieces, and standing army than Poland. Look it up. I'm sure Canada was happy about it at that time, but not for long. In the US, thank God, that attitude since WWII, won't wash because it is just a new brand of failed isolationism. As Canada has decided to have no military preparedness [even dropped out of NATO!!] it is easy to understand why their media says it is a good idea for every nation.

Saying all past efforts to protect the few free nations of the West from Islamic extremism was poorly done and in any case unnecessary is a foolish stance that smacks of Monday Morning Quarterbacking. When Operation Desert Storm was in full swing I was on Prince Edward Island in Sunnyside. It was almost impossible for me to make heads or tails out the medias rantings. Yes rantings. It was unbelievable, outrageously slanted, self serving garbage. Therefore I can say again: I understand, due to the large amount of time I have spent there, how it would not be difficult for a subscriber [subscriber!! No, it's the only game in town!] to actually believe, to this very day, that we went into Iraq for the oil.

The facts: The US [or US oil companies] got not ONE drop of oil. We shed out blood to capture the field before all were all set ablaze, put out the fires, maintained security of the pipe lines and did as much instant repair as possible so the people of Iraq would have a return to the much needed oil revenue. Then, when everything was in hand NOT ONE CONTACT TO REPAIR OR DEVELOP THE OIL FIELDS WENT TO A USA COMPANY!!!! Almost no US oil production equipment was ordered, except when it could not be gotten elsewhere. China and etc were given the work. In the face of all the facts to still be harping that One World Order untruth is beyond me.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong here but Iraq hod nothing to do with the world trades center attacks.

There were no weapons of mass distruction ever found.

Iraq was not in any possition to invade or attack anyone.

Sanctions in place kept it under embargo and thats about as far as the world would leagaly let you go.

Lets say for example Sadam was a mad little Hitler.
AND he committed war crimes significant enough to justify action ( and I agree he did ).
Why did you guys wait 10 years?
Why did you have him tried and hung in Kangaroo court?

Seems to me that he should have been handed over to a world court for a trial for crimes against Humanity and then sent home to be hung. Good enough for the Nazis but too much trouble for American today?

I think it would have been more embarassing for the USA to have him discuss his close relation with the USA prior to 1990 inspite of the use of chemical weapons and wars of aggression like the invation of Iran.

This is nothing in the grand skeme of things. Go all the way top Ronald Raygun and as I recall he sold traded weapons for Hostages in Iran, who was at war with your ally Iraq.....
Then funnled the money across the sea to fund an illeagal opperation to topple the goverment of Nicaragua. And the he convienetly forgot about it maybe it was the dementia acting up a REALY scary thought or he just lied.

Iraq and Sadam had a lot of secretes and lies to be covered up.

Donald Rumsfeld Shakes Hands With Saddam Hussein

So Did Ossama.
The navy seals just shot and killed him.
Dead men tells no tales.
In the mean time you still have people in held without charge in Cuba. Because its easier than trials. This should cause all Americans a lot of lost sleep because the rule of law right to a trial and human rights you hold so high are inconvinient for your goverment....

You can't tell me a bunch of heavily armed soldiers can't kick in a bedroom door and overpower Ossam and his wives?

Non of this bothers you does it?
I don't think you personaly are as interested in democracy and the rule of law and most of all the trueth as vengence.

Trueth leaves too many uncomfortable answeres to questions you would don't want asked.

So your enemies are dead now and your country is safe.
Did the means justify the end?

Its all the Soviets fault anyways.
They forced to you train and equip the people that attacked you.

Oldsalt

As pointed out before; the effort was to cut Islam in half. We did it...it worked.

By the way. I can't help but mention that you are laboring under a misapprehension if you believe that Iraq did not have WMDs. He used poison gas routinely against whole populations, men, women and children, that did not go along with his regime. That "nothing was found" mantra that is frequently chanted by the America haters is beneath you. Unfinished large caliber guns that were designed to reach Israel [everyone that cared to watch saw pictures of them being cut up]. And last, but not least, he claimed to have nuclear weapons. HE CLAIMED IT!! He was merely taken at his word.

You say Iraq was not in a position to attack anyone!!!! Millions died in his attack on Iran. Tens of thousands died as a result of his attack on Kuwait. But, as usual, the New World Order guys, only focus on what the USA lost and the number we killed. Very small in comparison. Not only was he a major supplier of technology and material and money to several terrorist groups he was absolutely set in the desire to control the area; land and sea channel. As it is obvious that our Muslim president is not really interested in preventing Iran from getting nukes. Therefore, I should think it should not be hard to imagine, with the head start Iraq had way back then, that he would now have them, and the Chinese built delivery system, if he were allowed to live. The right ting was done, and done at the right time.

As pointed out before; the effort was to cut Islam in half. We did it...it worked.

By the way. I can't help but mention that you are laboring under a misapprehension if you believe that Iraq did not have WMDs. He used poison gas routinely against whole populations, men, women and children, that did not go along with his regime. That "nothing was found" mantra that is frequently chanted by the America haters is beneath you. Unfinished large caliber guns that were designed to reach Israel [everyone that cared to watch saw pictures of them being cut up]. And last, but not least, he claimed to have nuclear weapons. HE CLAIMED IT!! He was merely taken at his word.

You say Iraq was not in a position to attack anyone!!!! Millions died in his attack on Iran. Tens of thousands died as a result of his attack on Kuwait. But, as usual, the New World Order guys, only focus on what the USA lost and the number we killed. Very small in comparison. Not only was he a major supplier of technology and material and money to several terrorist groups he was absolutely set in the desire to control the area; land and sea channel. As it is obvious that our Muslim president is not really interested in preventing Iran from getting nukes. Therefore, I should think it should not be hard to imagine, with the head start Iraq had way back then, that he would now have them, and the Chinese built delivery system, if he were allowed to live. The right ting was done, and done at the right time.
Yes he claimed to have a lot of things.

But the inspectors found nothing evebn with the help of all that intelegence from the US to lead them to these hidden weapons and systems he was reconstituting.
This would seem to sugest he was not a threat.
So as a justifiction for war assume ever story you hear is true even if the UN inspectors say there is nothing to go on....

This is not the first time the USA fabricated a justification for invading another country as I recall the American Spanish war ( the one where you invaded Cuba do I have the name right? ) was a similar mistake.

You did nopt answere my question:
The USA had no issue sending generals and politicians from Serbia to the world court for crimes against Humanity why not Sadam?
Its a cop out to say it was the will of the Iraqi people. They had no functioning goverment at the time of his capture ( and still don't realy ).
What terrorist group did he suport with connections to 911 or any other attack against the USA?

Same arguement for Ossama why kill rather than capture and put on trial?

Another question:
How many died on 911?
How many civilians died in there name in Iraq and Afganistan by accident from US weapons?
Do the ends realy justify the means?
How many people in Iraq guilty of nothing?
How many in Afganistan?

" the effort was to cut Islam in half "
Why?
Its not the religion that bombed the USA.
Its the radicals in Ossama's terroist group.

Lets kill all the jews because they were Evil.
Thats Hitler's idea, they were the real ones to blame for all Germanies troubles.....

I suported the war in Afganistan.
But we are pulling out and I suport that too.
Upon closer examination, we tried to do the right thing but like the British and Russians before us we found it was too difficlt and complicated to turn them into us.....

North Korea is a real threat the world. Why not invade them?
Iran is does suport terrorists and they are tryig to build nuclear weapons how come they get off easy?
Yemen is a failed state and full of Ossama suporters.
And don't forget your frienemies in the region where known terrorists come from or get material support the Un democratic kingdom of Saudi arabia and Pakistan ( where you can't even trust them enough to tell them you are sending troops in to kill someone ).

I don't expect you to agree with anything I say.
I would be happy with a reply like this is a very complicated situation and things probably could have been handled a lot better.
Some would argue the US is guilty of war crimes by the way these things have been handled.
I suspect if this had of been any other country doing these things ( lets say China ) the USA would take issue.

One more point:
Lets assume for a second that the USA never gave and aid and training to the " freedom fighters " in Afganistan.
Lets assume they cleaned house and imposed their bloody will on the people there.

Would Ossama Binladen still have blown up the world trade center?
I think not, but after defeating one super power I think they got it in their heads they could turn the Islamic world against the other and wipe the slate clean of both in the Islamic world.
He wanted you to attack them and start a holy war.
He wanted to bleed and weaken and humiliate the USA.
He got part of his wish......

I think Ossama Binladen was always a terrorist.
And you suported him in his first holy war.
Just as Sadam was always a murdering butcher but you suported him too when he was your attack dog on a leash fighting the Iranians.

I guess non of this is true then.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_support_for_Iraq_during_the_Iran–Iraq_war

Canada does not have clean hands.
We have done a lot of bad things too.
The difference is we except and admit what we did and why.
We went to south Africa and butchered dutchmen, we help invent the concentration camp.
And we did it for King and empire ( and shit loads of diamonds, gold silver and good stuff the empire needed )
We killed thousands of Indians with Small Pox and practicaly invented it as an intentional bio warefare agent Against them.
We even Gave Sadam the technology ( as well as the south Africans ) advanced long range Artiliry technology in the 80s.
Infact your troops faced our 155s in gulf war 1 and the big gun you mentioned was based on technology quietly rusting on a Quebec hill side.
Without a doubt these were bad ideas and bad things to do and they are taught in Canadian schools.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I was in my Senior year in High School. Sitting in my 4-hour long computer science class. We were doing some stupid project or another when all the TVs came on, and someone got on the PA telling us what was happening. Shortly after that they dismissed us all home.

Oddly enough, though, I don't remember 9-11 for the terrorist attack.

I got home from school at like 10 or 11. I went directly to my grandfather's house and we got in his truck and went down to look at a 1984 Camaro z28 for me and him to fix up. We picked it up and got it home and messed around with it. The next day he went to cleveland clinic for a surgery to help with his PAD in his legs. We met them at the hospitial the next day. He sat with us at breakfast, and he went up to pre-op. Last time I saw him alive, he never made it through the surgery.

So I am sorry to say, but I remember 9-11-2001 as the last day I spent a good day with my grandfather who was more like my best friend for 17 years, and not the WTC.

Maybe its the age or the whirlwind of emotions in other aspects of my life, I don't remember much else about it, nor it affecting any aspect of my life. I read stories about people who wouldn't let their kids go outside, or they cringed in fear of air planes flying over. I don't remember thinking much about it.

So I am sorry to say, but I remember 9-11-2001 as the last day I spent a good day with my grandfather who was more like my best friend for 17 years, and not the WTC.
Echoes of past.

You have my sympathy.

In the decades since my grandafather's passing but he left an imprint on my life and morals and convictions that I have today.

You are lucky.
Some people never get the oppertunity to spend time with grand parrents, fewer still have such men as those that leave a positive mark on our lives.

In time you will get gray and hopefuly it will be your chance to do the things your grandfather was not able to finnish with you.

I

Last edited:
I remember working at Lynn Massachusetts at the GE aircraft engine plant I believe it was. The building I was working in had a perfect view of Logan airport I remember that morning watching the airplanes flying out of Logan airport, I might have watched the airplanes leave that morning. Strange thing is we almost sent one of our guys home that morning if we did he most likely would have been on the flight to DC. Glad we decided to keep him an extra day, he had to drive back home with us but didn’t hear any complaints from him. I remember driving on the way home passing by New York seeing the giant plume of smoke coming for where the towers use to be, this was two days latter and it still looking like a volcano smoldering. I remember driving through New Jersey and they must have just lifted the grounding of all aircraft because there was a string of airplanes coming in to land that seem to go on forever. One after another the airplanes just kept on coming, it was dark now so I could see the lights in the sky like a string of pearls. It’s was a strange feeling.

jrzmac

I remember driving through New Jersey and they must have just lifted the grounding of all aircraft because there was a string of airplanes coming in to land that seem to go on forever. One after another the airplanes just kept on coming, it was dark now so I could see the lights in the sky like a string of pearls. It’s was a strange feeling.
very strange. I grew up in Belleville which is right next to Newark, so I was used to hearing and seeing planes in the sky all day. when they banned the planes, it was very weird not seeing anything up in the sky for a few day's!!

I was dropping my daughter off at school when the first plane hit. I was sitting our conference room watching the news reports on a huge screen when I saw the second one hit. I thought it was a replay of the first one until I realized this was live footage. I work for the US Army and was on an Army installation. When the plane hit the Pentagon, I must admit I started to get a little nervous being on a Army base.

Hard to believe it has been over 10 years now but I think to our current generation, 9/11 is to us like the JFK assination was to our parents.

Robby

Last edited:
I was a sophomore in high school. I was sitting in the back of my trig class. I remember it very vividly. If we could only rid the human race of religion..

MB165

I was at work when the parts girl came out and said a plane hit the first tower. We got the TV out of the lunchroom and put it in the shop. I went on the roof to but could not see any smoke from the Pentagon, im about 20 miles to the north, and 10miles from NSA/ Ft. Meade. It was really quiet afterwards. I remember seeing a AEW&C fly over at about 35 minute intervals for several days nonstop, he was up there too, maybe 30,000-40,000ft.