97cc baja

I read that asking how to hot rod a bike will get me banned, I'mnot doing that my sons bike goes good on flat land but the slightest hill he has to almost help push with his feet to get in to go.it has the stock carb fully rebuilt by a shop ,so my question is would it be a clutch thing or is there a governor issue I watch the carb and it seems the governor keeps it from building power it keeps closing as he's climbs its only a 10 foot rise over 50 feet he is 8 and 60 lbs just want him to be able to ride I have the speed screw at half

Report Edit

The governor shouldn't make any difference until roughly 3600rpm when it starts doing it's thing.

As for your issue, those engines are super weak. No surprise it wouldn't go up a hill like that. This hill you're talking about is a 20° grade if you're numbers are correct. That's fairly steep.

BTW, asking how to hot rod a bike improperly could potentially get you in trouble. Nothing wrong with asking about mods. The issue is doing it safely on those small engines. No one makes a billet rod or billet flywheel for them (at least to my knowledge). I'm guessing at your son's age/riding ability he may not be ready for a 6.5hp engine yet. You could always look for an old 4hp/5hp Briggs or Tecumseh flathead engine to swap into the bike. The 5hp Briggs still has a strong aftermarket support if you wanted to mod it for more power in the future.

I read that asking how to hot rod a bike will get me banned, I'mnot doing that my sons bike goes good on flat land but the slightest hill he has to almost help push with his feet to get in to go.it has the stock carb fully rebuilt by a shop ,so my question is would it be a clutch thing or is there a governor issue I watch the carb and it seems the governor keeps it from building power it keeps closing as he's climbs its only a 10 foot rise over 50 feet he is 8 and 60 lbs just want him to be able to ride I have the speed screw at half

Report Edit
One option is to gear the mini bike a bit lower. Is this Baja - 97cc Engine still on the original Baja - Doodle Bug or Dirt Bug DB30 Mini Bike they came on or is it a different brand mini bike?

Last edited:

SAS289

Report Edit
You said "it keeps closing as he climbs". That is opposite of correct governor operation. As an example, if he is at full throttle full speed on a flat road the governor is already stabilized and handling the load. As soon as the load (a hill) changes the governor should be opening the throttle to handle the load. The same would happen at a steady half throttle, not just at 3600 RPM. The governor can function at all RPM, even at idle speed. It just depends on the manual throttle position.

When you say it keeps closing. What keeps closing? Or are you saying it loses power? Sure it's not a very strong engine, but you would think it should be ok for a 60 lb rider. Like MiniBikeDan198 said you may have to change gearing for better hill climb less top speed.