97cc on a Scooter

Hey everyone, so me and my dad are working on converting an electric scooter to run a 97cc Baja Doodlebug Engine. Due to the fact that the rear wheel sprocket on the scooter is on the opposite side of the horizontal shaft on the engine, we are going to make a jackshaft setup to transfer the motion. We will be having an 11T Clutch with a chain going to a 24T sprocket on the side of the jackshaft near the motor, on the OTHER side of the jackshaft there will be a 17T Sprocket and a chain from that to 80T rear wheel sprocket. In all it should be a total 10:1 ratio. I'm a 185 lbs, do you think this set up will be able to give me the speed and torque i need to go up hills, not like dirt offroad hills just casual street hills? We already unscrewed the throttle limiter screw so that i wont be stuck at a 15mph stock baja speed, and keep in mind this is going on a small electric scooter, so the wheels are much smaller.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
why not just unbolt the rim and turn it around so the chain drive is on the correct side? move the brake hardware. just an idea that might be less fab work

why not just unbolt the rim and turn it around so the chain drive is on the correct side? move the brake hardware. just an idea that might be less fab work

Some of the brake mechanism is part of the frame so its not that easy, but we are also using the jackshaft to be able to increase the gear ratio for more low end power. If it weren't for that we definitely would've done what you said.

I got your PM. :thumbsup:

As for the jackshaft, hot rod minibikes sells a jackshaft that bolts onto the 97cc motor and then goes to the 72t sprocket on the doodlebug minibikes, so here is the link, it will give you the sprockets they used on the jackshaft to give you an idea, because personally I haven't used a jackshaft on my 97cc. I have heard that these jackshafts work well, allowing the bike to climb hills and take off better. Here' the link:
ProMod Jackshaft Kit

What else do you want to know, do you want to modify the motor? or what are your plans?

Well basically i know the 97cc engine on the stock doodlebug doesn't pull for crap, so i'm wondering if on a scooter and with the throttle limiter screw almost completely unscrewed and MY jackshaft setup, if it will be able to take a 185lb person such as myself up pavement hills.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am sure it will if you gear it right, and FYI removing the throttle stop screw won't really do all that much, the air filter and header will help more.