97cc predator runs rough --help

have a 97 cc predator engine . starts and idels nice , but when you get on it , seems to misfire and run rough. plug shot? carb clean out? also getting alot of clutch clatter

I for one not sure what engine you have. I think the Predator engine is 98cc ohv engine. The OEM DB30 engine is 97cc flathead engine, is that what you have?:shrug:

OK, so you have the 97cc OEM engine that originally came on the DB30. I have several of these (too many to admit to). 1st thing to do is install black clutch spring and it will solve many of the problems with this engine.

The clutch chatter is the hub bushing running dry. It needs to be lubricated or will chatter and eventually lock up.

I have never bought a new one, all mine have been used from like new condition to abused and left out in the weather. I bought 2 that were pretty abused and they both came around and run great.

All I do is change the oil until it comes out clean with 10w30 synthetic oil, install black clutch spring, clean the fuel filter, clean air filter, tighten up loose nuts/ bolts. I leave the governor, but turn out the adjustment screw so it will turn approx 5000 rpms (I have a tach I used to initially get a idea of the sound of the engine at this speed).

It's amazing, I have never bought one that didn't run great after some TLC.

where do i get the black clutch sprng from? thanks for the info!!! kinda new to the newer motors. every thing was briggs and tec back in the day