Adjustable timing?

I have a HH60 engine and it appears as if you can adjust the timing. I have seen this on a few other Tecs, but havent messed with it. Has anyone tried adjusting theres? Any tips?

I set timing on my HS40 after its rebuild. Could have put more advance in it but I want to keep it stock. I did mine by the book, but there are probably other ways of doing it. Heres a pic of my setup.

Oldsalt

cncsparky
I think I see what you are doing, with the condensor removed from the circut you can use the meter to determine where the points need to break to supply the spark at the point determined by the depth gage on top the piston. However, if the points don't open at or near where the magnet in the flywheel is at the proper place in relation to the magneto coil the spark can be very weak. So you may need an off-set key for the flywheel to make it match the new, well advanced, point setting. I'm sure there are lots of folks that can help with specific information on Briggs timing but far fewer for your Tecumseh.

Oldsalt, the points and coil are on the same bracket, so it wouldn't matter where the timing was adjusted the spark should be the same. By moving the bracket ass'y around, I can change when the spark happens, only. As mentioned earlier, I found this procedure in the tec repair manual. Its a little un-precise for me, a better way obviously would be to put a timing light on it, but there are no timing marks on the flywheel. I suppose one could go through the trouble to make some marks somehow.

Tom.

So, how many degrees before TDC does everyone run? I had to file the slots bigger to get the timing where I wanted it, which I didn't measure but instead just set it by ear and made sure it wasn't hard to start.

My HS40 isn't set by degrees, its set by so many thousandths(.001) of an inch BTDC. I forget the spec off hand for mine, I'll try to dig it up.

timing

Oldsalt, the points and coil are on the same bracket, so it wouldn't matter where the timing was adjusted the spark should be the same. By moving the bracket ass'y around, I can change when the spark happens, only. As mentioned earlier, I found this procedure in the tec repair manual. Its a little un-precise for me, a better way obviously would be to put a timing light on it, but there are no timing marks on the flywheel. I suppose one could go through the trouble to make some marks somehow.

Tom.
. you can set up a degree wheel and make timing marks on the flywheel. a very accurate way. just set it up like you would to degree a cam. and transfer the marks to the flywheel.

I know you can get timing tape to put around balancers on automotive race engines, I'm not sure if the tape would work on a flywheel for our engines or not.