Air compressor setups

My dad and I just got a bigger upright 60 gallon air compressor for our shop and are wondering what sort of filtration set up we need. So far I have a regulator and filter, but I see things like air dryers and lubricator as well. What is necessary? What are you guys using?

Do not use an in-line lubricator if you are going to spray paint with the same hoses.

Air dryers remove water, but a standard separator just off the tank and regular draining of the tank keeps that to a minimum.

I only use a regulator and filter, then a small disposable screw in dryer at the spray gun. Give the air tools a few drops of oil in the air inlet every so often and they should be good to go.

My compressor went out this last winter partly because of the cold, cold winter and It sets out back of my shop in Its own little compressor room, but It was about 20 years old and leaved a good life. But anyway when I bought a new compressor (60 Gal) I Installed this little automatic, electic water release valve on the bottom of the tank, now It pops off about 5 to 10 seconds on every hour.
Automatic Electronic Timed Air Tank Water Moisture Drain Valve for Compressor | eBay

Thanks for replying. :thumbsup: I don't plan on doing much painting, it will mostly be used for air tools. OND, the compressor we bought is supposed to have one of those automatic drain valves, it's to good to hear they are a good addition. Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure we were going to set things up properly.

do not lubricate the lines, if you use air tools, lube them as required. you dont want oily mist even when your useing a blow gun to clean off your mini or anything else for that matter. Get or make a good dryer air/water separator and be happy

do not lubricate the lines, if you use air tools, lube them as required. you dont want oily mist even when your useing a blow gun to clean off your mini or anything else for that matter. Get or make a good dryer air/water separator and be happy
Thanks Tex. :thumbsup: I always keep my air tools oiled, just wasn't sure if a oiler was necessary, but like you pointed out, I don't want that oily mist.

Here is my setup. Was having too much moisture so I tried to pass the air thru some radiators to cool it before going into the main tank. The blue water separator catches the water before going into main tank. I still get moisture but a lot less now. I take the air for most stuff after 1st water trap but for painting I have the Devilbiss dessacant filter at the end.

Shuts off at 130PSI. They are both AC radiators. The reason I have two is the top one which was the first one is one long tube and it is very restrictive caused the compressor to perform badly and get real hot. . The second one is a newer style with a manifold feeding all the crossflow tubes with little restriction.

Cuda54

I have the same compressor as Ole4 with out the plumbing nightmare I only have the water trap and regulator. If you need a oiler get the small ones the fit right onto the tool. Or like I do just oil the tool before use you only need to oil them once a day anyway. For the radiators to work right on Ole4 it need a fan blowing through them. I run mine all day some times it get hot too. But I do not think it really needs the radiators at all. They will blow out and hurt some one. I did buy a auto tank drain kit from Harbor freight for mine. It drain the water out of the bottom of the tank when it shuts off.

Last edited:
I would have to respectively disagree. If you run your compressor for even 1 minute and try to touch the aluminum tube going from the compressor to the tank you would burn your finger. That is the heat from compression of the air. On my setup the tube going into the tank is lukewarm after running the compressor hard for a while. Before the nightmare, I had lots of water issues. I do a lot of glassbeading of frames and parts I make. I was having issues with water spitting out of the gun and causing rust before I could get it out of the blast cabinet. I also do a lot of painting and the devilbiss dessicant filter would show Pink (replace dessicant) in one paint job. Since the cooling radiators as well as the copper wall traps I have yet to replace the dessicant filter (6 months). Now I am not telling anyone to copy my rube goldberg setup. If I had to do it again i would use only one radiator like the lower one. I do not understand your thinking on the radiator blowing out. In normal operation they handle pressures in excess of 250PSI in a cars AC. My safety valve blows off at 140PSI. After running your compressor doesn't you tank get real hot? Min used to, now it just gets warm. Also most of the water comes out of the trap tank not the compressor tank, although there is still water coming out of it as well. I think that the cooler air is what is now preventing the water I was getting out of the air hose before the setup.

Cuda54

I under stand what it does but is it a safe way to do it. And as long as you drain the tank it will remove the water. And the end that the air goes to your blast cabinet is where the water trap should be. Or add a second water trap at the cabinet. That is why I added the auto tank drain when the compressor shut off it drains the water out of the tank each time. I have seen what air does to thing not made for it. I saw what used to be a garage after the large compressor tank blew it a part. Yes my tank gets hot but it does not hurt anything. When you cool the air you get condensation.

"Yes my tank gets hot but it does not hurt anything" Incorrect when it gets hot the moisture trapped inside stays a vapor.
"When you cool the air you get condensation" Correct, so where does that happen? in your air hose. I cool the air first so the water condenses in the water trap and the tank and by the way I use two water traps, and before the contraption (radiators & water trap) I still got too much water for painting until I got the dessicant filter. If you do not have these issues you are probably not subjecting your compressor to as much continuous duty or you have it in a very dry environment. I am in central TX and relative humidity is usually around 30 to 50%.

If you live in the desert in a dry environment, you don't need to run any water separators. I seldom get any moisture out of the drain.

I imagine there is a huge difference on humidity between Texas and Iowa and Anywhere, Canada. In fact I know there is. Apples and Oranges on setups. Good info for me though. Never heard of the radiator, and heat is the ONE issue I do have.

I do think that radiator setup Ole4 has is a good idea, if I have issues I will definitely try that. It is usually really humid here in the summer, but dry during the winter so I'll have to see what happens come summer.

I have a huge problem with moisture when I use my blast cab
Been planning on building a cooler/condenser out of copper pipe but not sure if I will instal it before or after the tank

the best method is at least 25 feet of copper pipe run with a certain incline then a drop with a trap then another incline with another trap. It is installed after the tank. I did not have the room for it. There are piping diagrams on the net if you google it.

That's what I am wondering about Rob. I bought a sand blaster from princess auto a while ago and am planning to use it for the first time in the next week or so. I guess I'll see if I get moisture coming out of the gun. :shrug: