alexander reynolds with scrub brake

Just got this for short money. The engine runs and the only thing missing is the rear fender. Anybody know the model name or year. The scrub brake appears factory. The engine is an h30 and fired right up with a squirt of starting fluid. I didn't need it but i had to have it.

Thanks buckeye but the forks appear different. they are open without a name plate and i can't tell if any of the models have a scrub brake. Anyway I already tore it done and will replace carb and gas line plug tires clutch and chain. I would like to get the paint color close to original but this was repainted at one time. the decals are available it should look good when done.

oldfatguy

that's the first Arco that I have seen without any kind of a fork plate. I wonder if those forks are original to the bike. The engine decal if original would make it 1970 or newer.

the tires are both double indian head carlilses but different tread patterns. the forks are unusual possibly not original but the fork stem is longer than most I have seen and I assume that is particular to arcos. The main thing is that this is an easy restoration as is. the seat is ripped but fixable. my kind of project.

oldfatguy

My old arco didn't have a fork plate.
do you know about what year it was made ? I know that from about 68 through 70 they had the full plate and then some time later switched to the rectangular bar. One without any plate could possibly be from the early to mid 60s. There is very little info available on the arco bikes so it's fun to try and piece together what we can figure out.

I have no idea i just assumed it was early because of the scrub brake. I will take a look at it tommorow and post any info on the engine #s and what else I can find. I love the mystery and knowing I saved something from being lost. Thanks for the replys

oldfatguy

Message - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery

there are pictures in the arco photo section that show that they did come without a fork plate. the approximate date of you bike can be determined by some of the features that it has. the shorter chain guard like yours came later than the longer full length one. Also the decals one your engine are early 1970s.

The engine #s are H39-35176J and the serial # is 32210. The engine plate has a worn number plate. It is unreadable as if someone took sandpaper to it to remove the numbers. The only thing I can see is the possible number 900 then a space and 8 then nothing is readable after that. thats all i got. I will hopefully get this done in a timely fashion.

do you know about what year it was made ? I know that from about 68 through 70 they had the full plate and then some time later switched to the rectangular bar. One without any plate could possibly be from the early to mid 60s. There is very little info available on the arco bikes so it's fun to try and piece together what we can figure out.
I had this arco since I was a kid. I didn't own it when it was new. Heck, I don't even remember where it came from:laugh: When I started cleaning the bike up a few years ago, I cut the rear tire off. It was a 1967 good year. ( I will double check that, kept the tire) The front is double indian head saw tooth. That leads me to believe the bike is "early":shrug:

Mine has the double indian head sawtooth tire on the front. I am thinking that it is a 73 based on the engine. I agree with young skinny guy. I need to replace the tires and I know it will not be easy. The rims are not split style they are one piece. Manchester did you ever rebuild that arco you have?

oldfatguy

I had this arco since I was a kid. I didn't own it when it was new. Heck, I don't even remember where it came from:laugh: When I started cleaning the bike up a few years ago, I cut the rear tire off. It was a 1967 good year. ( I will double check that, kept the tire) The front is double indian head saw tooth. That leads me to believe the bike is "early":shrug:

I think that they originally came with saw tooth Carlisle's. Do you think that your arco is about 1973 or so or older ? It's possible that the bikes without the fork plate were made by Alexander Reynolds and sold as a store brand. Sort of how they did with the Colt.
Arco also offered many different models with the lower end bikes had smaller wheels and foot brakes and the more higher end bikes came with disc brakes and 6 inch rims. It's hard to document much about the arcos from the available sales ads plus it's difficult to tell if things were changed on a bike over it's life time like engines and tires etc. It is interesting to try and piece together the info that we do know to be able to guess the approximate age of a bike or discover some undocumented feature or model .

Mine has the double indian head sawtooth tire on the front. I am thinking that it is a 73 based on the engine. I agree with young skinny guy. I need to replace the tires and I know it will not be easy. The rims are not split style they are one piece. Manchester did you ever rebuild that arco you have?
That arco is on my project list:laugh: The list is getting very long:laugh::laugh: