Alsport Tri-Sport SL290/340 Kohler Bonneville Salt Flats!!

I've got the 52t sprocket, they have a 60?! And it is the peerles. I've got an 11tooth on it now, going to order a 13t and 14t for it. I've played with the gear, engine rpm, tire diameter calculator alot!! I need to get a tach hooked up, but thinking with 5500rpm, the 19 inch tire, and a 17t Jackshaft sprocket on my 19 inch tall tire, I could potentially go 100.

Cuda54

I still think you might still needs a 2 speed or a 4 speed trans to get to 130+. Taller tires would have changed things too. Your engine will have to have the power to get you there now. But you still do not want it to blow up trying. So if you build it for torque at lower RPMs and use a tranny you will get more speed at the top end with gearing. This is just my view and I might be wrong!

Well there once was an attempt to run the Baja 1000 with a modified Tri-Sport that had a Herth engine I think it was a triple cylinder putting out over 100 HP well it was clocked at over 130 MPH but the machine hit a berm and did some flips and injured the driver so the attempt was canceled. Now that was on the off road. And last time I was out on the Bonneville Salt flats the word flats was all there was, and my 1997 Ford Econoline 150 did just fine @ 100 MPH that was fast enough for me.
With a belt driven torque converter just what is the need for a Tac. All you can do is open the throttle and go for it. Remember the increased tire diameter puts a big load on the brakes. When I changed from 8 inch wheels to 10 inch on my Street Legal the brakes started giving me issues so I went to 10 inch disc and Dual piston Draglite calipers.

Steve

wjustice

Yes you can get up to a 60t for the peerless. For a tach, Go on eBay and get the tach from a John deere spitfire. They run off of the raw alternator signal. I have them on both of mine with snowmobile engines.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mr. Justice, I'm scouring eBay, can't find them! But thanks for the heads up!

I just got my expansion chambers, and the dual makuni carbs. Does anyone know of the dual carb intakes for the 340/440 will work on the 295 kohler? I can't see why they wouldn't, about to pull the trigger on the bay of es, just seeing if anyone knows for sure, Thanks for all the input on this guys!

Staton-inc has the 60t Peerless sprockets... I have one getting ready to go on my T555 I got from them. And another I just put on another T555 we raced a couple weeks ago. Had to jack the motor up a little. Staton-inc has plenty of options.

wjustice

Kirk had them but I can't find them now either. Some of the intakes have bolts top and bottom, others have them on the sides.

SO, form what I could gather. Kohler 2AX engines never came with dual carbs. The dual carb engines were 2AS. And to the point, the AS engines had side to side bolts, and the AX were up down? Either way, I called growth. inc, and they said no listing for a 2AX engine and dual carbs...Anyone have a lead on an AS engine?

65ShelbyClone

Tried figurin out a turbo set up, but just to hard without a valve system for the intake or exhaust on the Kohler engines. Turbo pressure would just blow by.
That may be the case with a supercharger, but with turbos it is not a given. Exhaust pressure has to increase in order to drive the turbine (called turbine drive pressure). It is frequently quite a bit higher than boost pressure and tends not to change when a turbo is transplanted onto another engine.

I figure it will take north of 60hp to push that trike to 130mph, so figure on shooting for 200hp/L+ out of the aircooled 340. Not impossible with natural aspiration IMO, but not easy either. I think nitrous could be an especially unforgiving way to get there.

wjustice

No2 is possible I suppose. Are you gonna run the stock pumper carbs or switch to mikuni? You would need a way to spray the nitrous evenly and then run a power jet, maybe?

I'm currently running a mikuni, and just picked up a pair of mikuni carbs and the expansion chambers. The more I read about expansion chambers, the more I think the factory alsport ones aren't going to give me the increase in power I thought they would. I'm debating fabing a dual carb intake for the ax engines I have, but might be a wate of time and favors!

And I think I grasp the exhaust pressure building turbine speed on the turbo. But, my thought is if I introduce boost on the intake side, the added air flow would go right out the exhaust since there would be no valve to stop it. I too think 60 hp is what I need, and might be possible NA with the right exhaust and tune. As far as nos, I want to try it on a spare engine I have just to see what happens! The change in exhaust temperature due to the nos might actually be bad for the expansion chambers to work correctly, so it could be a fruitless endevure. Figure try the dual carbs, and expansion chambers, make some passes at the drag strip, and see what happens then go to the drawing board. If I don't hit 80mph in the 1/4mile, I will be very disappointed.

wjustice

I have a set of those exact same pipes. The factory listed the phase 111 as 50+ go. They used the as engine with dual mikuni. I would think with some tweaking 60 is reasonable. Without looking at the differences in compression and port timing, i can't say if the ax can produce that amount.

Wjustice, have you ran the pipes on your machine? And do have the ax or the as engine? We really should try and get a gathering of the trikes! It would be a blast to get together and ride these things on some trials!