Alsport Tri-Sport SL290/340 Kohler Bonneville Salt Flats!!

wjustice

I have an ax engine and have not run them as of yet. Years ago I had a SL converted to off road with the pipes on it. Lots of power but not 50+. I remember someone or a pamphlet listing it as 40-45hp. The as engine makes almost that without pipes. I grabbed the pipes a couple years ago when I found them, knowing they were a high damage item and not very common. I don't have the header pipes but they can be made fairly easily.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That is Awesome! You seem to know a lot about these Kohlers. I'm continuously searching for an AS Engine, Think that is the best bet for power. I thought about stitching to a modern two stroke, but whats the fun in that?

I think this is Awesome what you are doing. I have a K4402AS out of a 1974 skiroule that has very few miles on it. I have it just sitting in my shop as a spare, but its a 440 not a 340. I would try looking for one in the vintage sleds, I know John Deere and Mercury used them. I also think Rupp used the 340as in some of there sleds to. I know with my Phase III the only time I really kind of clock its speed was in 1982 and my sister had a 1980 Z28 and she said she was going 90 mph when I past her on the highway. Lol. With the tires you have you might get there with a sk3402as. I know that mine doesn't lack any power at the high speeds, its the gearing that stops it from going any faster. I hope you find a motor, I will keep watch up here incase one shows up.

wjustice

Kohler's ax engine use more of a utility engine and the as was for performance. Hence the dual carbs. I'm betting the port timing is way more aggressive too. I would guess it would respond to pipes and tuning better also. I was looking for engine when I was building my trike and I ended up building both the one in the trike and my backup from parts. I work with guys that run micro sprints and they helped a lot.

When I bought my Kohler engine from Groth Products it was rated @ 50 Hp and I had them put on a starter gear and sold me a new Starter. That catalog is somewhere here in one of hundreds of boxes yet to be opened after my move to Astoria. Back in the 1970's my TRS came with a 340 engine but a guy came in to the shop with a new Kohler 440 and a new Comet clutch that he wanted it to power a blimp and he could not get it started so I bolted it down to my work bench rigged up a gas tank and fired it off without any exhaust and he was shocked at how loud the engine was. So we had a TS with a 340 engine and Danny did a 40 mph fly-by for him to hear it. And that shattered his dream of using it for the Blimp. He wanted to sell it and I worked it out and it went onto my Race Trike. Back in those days we had no manuals or specs to tell us one from another. I know that Trike kicked butt and was a blast to drive. Of course all trikes are a blast to drive.
Steve

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Well, A couple updates....

1) I had to buy an Alsport Snow suit to race in, why you ask??? Because why wouldn't you!!
2) Just bought a 440 2AS engine!! Getting it shipped, should be in next week. I really wanted the 340 AS, but....the 440 will have to do for the time being. This thing already has the dual carbs on it, and from what I can gather it came off a Mercury snow twister that was factory rated at 65HP. Now, I do think the Factory Kohler Expansion chambers are going to work perfectly on this engine. Should broaden up the torque curve and work well with the dual carbs. But, only one way to find out!!!

Steve, thanks for the info, Having them put on a flywheel gives me hope I can do the same on this 440 I just picked up. I'm getting too old to pull that rope! and you are right, all trikes are fun, at any speed!

wjustice

I was watching that engine because I thought, damn a trike would fly with that thing on it. You can't steer either of my trike that have snowmobile engines on them when you are on full power. Let off and yes they turn fine. 65hp and if it doesn't spin the tires, then it should at least do a power wheelie. My old RTS340 would lift the front for a few seconds and then set it down. That was with pipes and I weighed a bit less.

wjustice

Will the starter gear for a 340 fit the 440? Those along with mounts and starters have shown on eBay some. I know I grabbed one and then a second setup for my backup engine. I believe those parts are available now, if they fit.

wjustice

The listing says it fits
Ring gear ebay# 401140846480
Mount bracket 131805141603
There is a starter that looks like the correct one but I believe it is the wrong rotation 322276469318. I think the part # you need is 0 001 160 003

MR. justice, Thank you!!! I have all those parts in Q now!!! I really appreciate that!! I will post some pics once I get the engine in the mail.I did not think an rts could get the wheel off the ground, that must have been crazy to ride!! Next Summer, Would really like to set something up for us east coasters to get together and ride somewhere. And I will be at the ohio flying mile in spring with this thing!

wjustice

Double check and yes you need 0 001 160 003 for the starter. The 002 is opposite rotation fits the 2t and some CCW engines.

Perfect!!!! Thanks again Mr. Justice!!! The engine shipped yesterday, might get it as early as tomorrow. I am stoked! The info you are sharing is priceless stuff!! If you ever need anything, let me know..

wjustice

I got plenty of help when I first started here, just paying forward. Some of this info just isn't available. I have a notebook from my old trike that was copied from a dealers manual back in 74. Salisbury clutches, Bosch starters, Hilton diffs, etc, I haven't been able to find it anywhere else.

No updates. Some other projects got ahead of this one. I have the 440 sitting in the garage, just patiently waiting to be worked on.... I hope to start tearing into it next month.

Unfortunately, the project has been put on hold. I just picked up an rts290 that I'm piecing together for my daughter, so the 440 swap won't happen until probably late July. Going to take my SL with the 290 and her RTS290 riding in northern Mi , then after I'll do the swap, since I anticipate breaking stuff with the added HP!