alsport trisport rts 340

Mac

Someday I'll figure out the VHS to YouTube thing,
so I can slap my Trisport video online.

....My RTS had the two expansion chambers, but no recoil....
so I sold it years ago.

james c

seems to be a phase 3 racer, has the 340 but the guy got rid of the expansion chambers.
has the disks and a new carb not installed yet

Don't want to burst your bubble but that is not a Phase III Racer. I had 2 sets of the factory expansion chambers they were an accessory you could just like the roll bar. What made the Phase III racer was that they had a dual tube frame that is there was two main frame rails from the back to the front head tube and they came with dual carbs and the dual disc brakes on the axles like the Street Legal 290 and 340 machines did. Biggest part was they used a different torque converter and a higher HP engine.
Don't get me wrong James your find is well worth getting and I would jump at the chance to again have one . Let me tell you the dual carbs were a big pain in the butt the twin expansion chambers worked great and sounded awesome and the dual brakes on the axle took the load off the chain that the jack shaft mounted caliper transferred to the single row chain. My race trike was set up live axle and used dual row # 40 chain and the Kelsey Hayes caliper on the jack shaft. That gave better ground clearance for the bolder strewn desert trails.
I will make you drool with the next picture I wish I could reverse this event I was selling my Rokon Trail Breaker and the Tri-Sport twin pipe 440. And of a picture of my race trike the third picture was a dual rail frame trike I later owned and sold.
Steve :scooter:

james c

this guy said he had the dual expansion chambers that he was conned out of some years back, other than that, i believe it has a single carb, i cant tell from the pics about the frame stuff.i know it has the disks, not sure about the clutch. ill know more this weekend when i pick it up. for the 275.00 i think ill be more than happy with whatever it turns out to be:thumbsup:

james c

those pics you got steve are really cool, this is comming from around the long beach area, so there is a good chance you may have sold it?

Hi James C : Well that is a possibility and one thing for you to make sure you health insurance is paid up and wear good shoes and keep you feet hard on the foot pegs. No fun letting a foot come off the peg and folding back under the trike at high speed. I like to ride with shoes that have a heal that you can put pressure against the peg. Comes natural after a while. Steve :scooter:

james c

its a single disk, and runs off the jackshaft,the pipes he had were not the race pipes
but he said it ran good before removing the carb for a rebuild then that carb was lost, carb has been bought and comes with it, just need to install. he said it was super fast and cool sounding when last ran.

James C : Most of the early RTS trikes came with the jack shaft mounted caliper and the system they used on the Street legal was the Borg Warner 100 series and were not even close to reliable.
Steve :scooter:

james c

thanks steve, im going to post pics very soon as its almost finished! spent about 50 hours so far. its a really neat 340, nothing special otherwise. trying to fix the brakes first.
have not tried to start yet as i have no brakes

You may won't to check some of the vintage snowmobile board's and site's for the correct carburetor for a Kohler 340 engine and or swapping it out to a Mikuni carb. I know Rupp switch to Kohler engines in 74 from Tohatsu engines. My Rupp American with a 440, 2 cylinder single carburetor runs a Tilltson 44mm carburetor on it from the factory.

james c

tillitson makes a pumper carb which requires a fuel return line. not not plug it off!
hd 115a sorry no one is familiar with these carbs on this site, something like the race carbs used but different model