An alternative to crimping fork tube ends

My Fimco mini has similar welded pipe ends on the fork tubes.

[MENTION=44326]Docdc[/MENTION] where do you have your chrome done?

Give me a few. My memory is horrible since the surgery, I am waiting for Fantic Freddy to come over. He will remember the name of the shop for me. Sorry, be patient with me.

Doc

Looking at the tubes I've crimped, I still think welding those extra thick washers to the inside faces could be a good thing. Might be comforting to have the "smooth" part of those axles resting on a little wider surface.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't know that welding washers on would provide any more strength than using washers in the assembly, or how the beads would impede spacers, etc. but it would probably make it stronger. Has it been an issue? I've never had issues, except for some cracking and corrosion induced issues that did require welding.

Here are the photos I took from a bike I built last year for coping in the rear axle. I ended up cutting it all back off, and going with slotted plates, but you can see what I was up to. I did use the thicker bushing material, but I purchased a 12" length of 5/8 with an OD of 1" from Ebay. Ordering specific sizes doesn't work if you're making your own stuff, and engineering widths for wheel, etc.

Coping Pattern:

Rear Frame Cut to Pattern:

Ready to Weld:

Finished- Before Cutting it Off and Starting Over Again:

Give me a few. My memory is horrible since the surgery, I am waiting for Fantic Freddy to come over. He will remember the name of the shop for me. Sorry, be patient with me.

Doc
OK, Thank God for Fantic Freddie! The name of the company is Custom Chrome in Cleveland, Ohio. Now there is another Custom Chrome in Ohio that is WAY more expensive and doesn't like messing with this small stuff. Look them up in the Cleveland area and you will have the correct company. I thin I paid $350 or $375 for what you see. I cannot tell you if that is expensive or not. That is all that I have ever chromed. I had the parts back in 10 days but I did them in the dead of winter when they had a slow spell.

I hope that helps.

Doc

Yeah, Dave, I think you got it. Nice job, and no doubt, plenty rugged with that heavy-walled tubing. Pretty good notches as well. Smart to bevel those to accept the weld.