Animal or GX200?

Lot's of talk about what OHV motor will produce the most, better yet, since HP is over rated as MDG claims which of the two or any other OHV 6.5(claimed hp)motor can produce the most torque. Further more, I know big valve heads, stroker cranks, and alcohol carbs/ignition upgrades can be done to both , but can the same mods be made to these two engine as far as serious internal engine work; ala extending the deck(1')or runing a 4.500" rod, or boreing the sleeve to accept a larger piston(.140')?

IMOthe Animal is by far the better of the two, what do you guys think?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The Honda can't be stroke. That's the Briggs advantage.

The time we talked was a long time ago.
At that time briggs were having block, and crank failures. The problem have been fixed some time ago. Back in those days was the Animal 1, and 2 blocks.

The Honda can't be stroke. That's the Briggs advantage.

The time we talked was a long time ago.
At that time briggs were having block, and crank failures. The problem have been fixed some time ago. Back in those days was the Animal 1, and 2 blocks.
What advantages do you see the new PVL giving the Animals vs the old style?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
There is no advantage because the new PVL can be used on the Honda also. My buddy even has the new PVL setup on his 13hp vanguard motor.

There is just no stroker conversion. So the Animal will go much larger because of it. If the Animal had to stay with it's stock stroke the Honda will make more power. Mainly because of the better head design.

What made briggs look bad is that Honda only took one try to make a successful motor. While the briggs is on it's 5th try, and maybe about to start a 6th. And this is from briggs racing division.

What has helped and also hurt the Honda is the clones. They have been so cheap and overly produced, they force their way into the karting population. Which made ARC jump on the band wagon quick.

There is just no stroker conversion. So the Animal will go much larger because of it. If the Animal had to stay with it's stock stroke the Honda will make more power. Mainly because of the better head design.

What made briggs look bad is that Honda only took one try to make a successful motor. While the briggs is on it's 5th try, and maybe about to start a 6th. And this is from briggs racing division.

What has helped and also hurt the Honda is the clones. They have been so cheap and overly produced, they force their way into the karting population. Which made ARC jump on the band wagon quick.
Are you working on a stroker kit for the Honda?

The Honda head is better even after an Animal head has been seriously worked? Big Valves, properly cc'd and so forth.

Did you ever doubt the Briggs R&D program?

MDB, what are your thoughts on the clone flywheels, are they designed to run safely at the RPM your cam and head kits will produce? Also are you awhare if ARC is in the works for a stroker kit for the Honda motor's, if so IYO would then the Honda motor be the best OHV motor on the racing market?

Last edited:
briggs all the way :punk:
I agree. I think the big push for Honda hop ups is due to the fact that most of the parts are interchangeable with these knock off motor. Most cheap skates go for those motor, it's a matter of time before one goes ka boom and the flywheel goes and gets stuck inside someone.

besides the blockzilla or the rhino not really. they probally were acouple before everybody got into ohv. I know that out there there are some killer open flatheads, one day i will build a killer flathead.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Nope!
I can't really explain to you Solo Cali about the head advantage. The only way you will know is if you had one of your own.

I have had both and built both so I know. The Animal needs a lot more cam to flow as well as the Honda. The briggs head will needed to be welded up and tunnel ported to flow as good as seriously modified Honda head.

The clone flywheels are no good and should never be turned higher than 5,000 RPM.

I don't know anything about ARC work.

But arent all the real fast flatheads like overbore .140 and stroker???
Also will a coolbore flathead sleeved be strong and realiable as a iron bore one??

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Jim's is standard bore.
Steve's is .100 over.

Yes it would be, and maybe stronger depending on the sleeve used and the person doing it.