another briggs linkage issue

I have a model 135212 type 0006 01 Briggs or at least that's what it was at one time :( it had the controls and air cleaner off a generator for some unknown reason but everything looks to match the go-kart mini bike setup now. ... ON/OFF lever and CHOKE/RUN lever no throttle on the controls there (I only say this because of my issue)

and here it is.... the issue is it wont rev up.

I have the correct go-kart throttle control on it (part number 692316)

Im just not 100% sure I have the correct linkages hooked up by the carb. idles ok.. maybe a little rougher than I think it should but its been so many years for me I couldn't say for sure

is there a place with good pictures on how the stock GOV equipped go kart briggs should be hooked up? if I was still using this kart myself Id set it up for power and ditch the GOV and go with the speed junk but my kids will be using this once im done setting it up and is the reason im after the correct setup this thing came with :2guns:

If there is a big black slider on the bottom of the tank, and your cable is pulling that thing way over towards the pull rope side of the engine when you hit the throttle..

It should work... :shrug:

The governor spring might have fallen of, or be out of adjustment..

Can you actually watch the throttle on the carburetor and see that it is not throttling up? It might actually be throttled up, but be so rich, that the engines is flooding and stumbling, and not revving because of that fact too..

If it's not pulling open, that is probably your governor spring-meets governor arm-meets rotating rm thing..... problems..

I will take some pictures ... maybe a video tomorrow..

the linkage at the bottom works when I slide it. and the throttle blade does move. its odd because there is a linkage that came with it (guessing from the generator stuff) it has a nylon insert locking nut that keeps the throttle cracked upen enough to idle. if i remove it and allow the throttle blade to rest on the little screw mounted on the blade itself it will not idle. im almost wondering if I have a 3hp carb and it is starved

Hmmm yeah that all looks right best I can tell.. If the throttle plate is moving it should rev up.. The nylon locking nut is someones home made added touch probably.. The little screw you mentioned typically on those carbs WILL BE screwed in about all the damn way before it will idle.. Why the screw is 2 feet long and still screwed all the way in is beyond me, but Briggs LOVED to do that on their carbs.. :doah:

I still stand by the fuel mixture is way off... It could be a pre-jetted carb and the jet doesn't match the worn out valves, or it's adjustable, and adjusted out too far.. There is a small screw on the side of the carb RIGHT above the tank, kinda in behind your control pannel thing.. If it is a brass screw that screws in tight, it's pre-jetted.. If it's a steel screw and has a spring between the head and carb, it is an adjustable fuel screw...

If it's adjustable.. Gentility screw it in until you feel it just barely bump the carb and want to stop moving.. Don't OVER tighten it.. Just until ya feel it make contact.. Then screw it back out like 1 and 1/4 complete turns...

And see what it does...

It could be a sheared flywheel key retarding the spark, bad spark plug, messed up diaphragm flooding it out...

Hmmm yeah that all looks right best I can tell.. If the throttle plate is moving it should rev up.. The nylon locking nut is someones home made added touch probably.. The little screw you mentioned typically on those carbs WILL BE screwed in about all the damn way before it will idle.. Why the screw is 2 feet long and still screwed all the way in is beyond me, but Briggs LOVED to do that on their carbs.. :doah:

I still stand by the fuel mixture is way off... It could be a pre-jetted carb and the jet doesn't match the worn out valves, or it's adjustable, and adjusted out too far.. There is a small screw on the side of the carb RIGHT above the tank, kinda in behind your control pannel thing.. If it is a brass screw that screws in tight, it's pre-jetted.. If it's a steel screw and has a spring between the head and carb, it is an adjustable fuel screw...

If it's adjustable.. Gentility screw it in until you feel it just barely bump the carb and want to stop moving.. Don't OVER tighten it.. Just until ya feel it make contact.. Then screw it back out like 1 and 1/4 complete turns...

And see what it does...

It could be a sheared flywheel key retarding the spark, bad spark plug, messed up diaphragm flooding it out...
5hp Briggs Governor/ Throttle Spring Help!!! - DIY Go Kart Forum

Im positive the linkage is briggs as ive seen it in this thread.. plus found it on a parts break down

i hade the fly off so i know the key is good, the crank and cam gear dots alighn as well.

so the screw mounted on the throttle blade will need to be screwed almost all the way in for idle?

remove the preset linkage like this link I added says?

then the screw on the side of the carb that faces towards the controls needs to be adjusted? I looks steel and has a spring but wont budge :cursing:

then I guess I can remove the muffler and check the diaphragm:shrug:

OH Ok I see what they did there.. Yeah thats generator linkage.. You can get rid of that piece.. :thumbsup:

The rest of the stuff should already be hooked up from the factory, just not used on that application...

If the pictures on the gokart thread are yours.. It looks like you might be missing your governor spring.. :hammer: I don't know of a good diagram but we get so many requests I should get a good diagramed picture of the different ways they work.. :hammer: They are a tricky bastard.. :doah:

Yeah.. probably screwed way the hell in to idle.. :laugh:

Can you grab the throttle plate right on the carburetor, and manually crank it wide open with your fingers, and it STILL won't wind out? You should be able to go from idle to VROOM VROOM and back again pretty easily right at the carb by hand..

nope.. not my pictures but very very similar. just googled and found that.

yeah, just took that generator linkage off had to screw the throttle stop screw all the way in and its barely enough to idle.

took a big screw driver and got the idle crew to turn but its very very hard to turn. did one and a half to 1 1/4 no difference :shrug:

if i grab the throttle by hand its very sluggish acts like a car with no pump shot (accelerator pump) wondering if i have the wrong jets? or if the diaphragm is junk what do you think?

the good thing is if I can get mine working this may help others who have a question on how they are supposed to go

Last edited:
Probably fuel for some reason... Diaphragm or just mixed wrong.. If it's stumbling and won't rev up when holding it wide open by hand

Try holding it wide open by hand, then screwing the fuel mixture screw in real slowly at the same time.. When it gets leaned out it should take right off.. It's a real pain in the but to hold onto a shaking motor and make adjustments and all.. But can be done..

Yeah it could just be a bad diaphram too.. That happens alot, and is a pretty easy fix..

I replaced the diaphragm and springs since it was old and had a pin hole also tossed in a new plug. (local farm store had a common Briggs part for once!... still wondering what they have on the shelf behind the counter in the Briggs boxes since they don't have any other Briggs part in stock.. not even a muffler or side cover gasket :eek:ut:

It helped the idle ALOT I unscrewed the idle screw a bit so its no longer on the coil bind of the spring just to idle and started the mixture screw at 1.25 turn. its strange though. I can grab the go-kart control under the tank and open the throttle and it will be fine one time and the next hesitate real bad. if I grab the throttle blade on top its perfect at least each time I have tried :censure: makes no sense. the only difference between the two is a spring and the gov. can make the blade open slower and not as much. there should be no change in engine its self other than how fast the throttle opens up. which ive tried by hand as well:confused:

I think the eng. is possessed.. only thing I can say its the brand new tec I had when I was 8 would decide to idle up and engage the clutch. one time it took off and took me out!!! at least the Briggs hasten tried that

Last edited:
Fuel mixture still maybe..

Another thing to look for...

Some times the plate that is soldered onto the throttle shaft that the butterfly is bolted to...

That plate will come loose because the brass throttle shaft strips out.. :hammer: My bro in laws wood splitter has that problem..

This is what you get for keeping your governer. :hammer: Just kidding, Even though (accoring to some people :rolleyes: ) all the Briggs carbs suck, these are a pain. You could just gear it down for the kids so they dont go too fast, and not have no worry about the "g word". :laugh: