Another Old Briggs

Oldsalt

This old Briggs has overhead valves! The intake is "automatic", it opens by vaccum when the piston goes down. The exhaust valve is accuated by a normal cam. There is no cover for the valves. It runs but I am sure it's too weak to power a really old school mini bike. Note the kickstarter.

jeep4me

That thing is prehistoric. I like it!! Does it have any names on it like Maytag or ?? I know alot of those were used for washing machines way back in the day.

Very Cool!!

Oldsalt

That thing is prehistoric. I like it!! Does it have any names on it like Maytag or ?? I know alot of those were used for washing machines way back in the day.

Very Cool!!
I believe it is, infact, a washing machine motor that was a competitor of Maytag. It says Briggs on a brass tag. Over time I've picked up numerous old engines with kickstarters.

Oldsalt

Very cool engine! Nice profile.

I think this may be the other one you're referring to.

Yes indeed! That's a Maytag. I have one but it is not as nice as yours. I think yours has original paint. Also have a twin cylinder model that runs good. Have long wondered if the two cylinger model Maytag would pull a mini. Do you collect old engines?

I would hesitate to consider myself a collector, as that usually implies some form of strategy or sense of direction. :evil_laughter:

I have been looking for some 'older' engines to play with & to use on a mini. Something with a different profile & aesthetic, than the mostly blocky look of the B&S and Tec engines. I saw this engine advertised on Cl with a pic so tiny that all I could see was something that was red. I went & looked at it, as I had no clue what it was. Immediately upon seeing it, I realized that it was most likely not a good candidate for a mini. (Although I have heard, that several had been used in the past for karts & scooters, etc.) Still... I liked the engine & brought it home. I have yet to attempt to run it. There was some nasty stuff in the fuel tank that I have drained & flushed a few times. Currently there is no spark. I suspect that with a bit of reading up on the machine. I should have her up & running fairly easily. As far as the color... I was told that originally they were green. I don't know if the red is original or not.

There is quite a bit of info available for them on the 'net, plus a few videos on YouTube. Look for the 'Maytag Model #92 Multi-Motor' or some variation of those words.

Oldsalt

JM

I too cannot truthfully be termed a collector. I'm an accumulator. However, I have put together a group [about 20 or so] of hit and miss engines that date from 1907 to the late '30s. The smallest weighs 250 pounds and largest weighs more than a couple of tons. I "accumulate" the really old 'little' engines when I can, but I don't pay too much attention to them if they won't pull a mini.

As for your Maytag that doesn't have spark: I was given one in pieces. Completely tore down and in a box. If you can determine if your coil or condensor or points or what ever is at fault there is a good chance this parts engine has good parts. Let me know.

That engine is a Briggs FH straight fin. It was built about 1927. They are fairly collectable, are somewhat hard starting due to the suction carb and the long intake tube from the carb. If you need to work on the carb, be careful they are fairly fragile. They are also very low compression and will foul the spark plug unless they are run under power. Al

Oldsalt

astuff
Thanks for the info. I made this one run when I got it home. But it will probably not ever be started again unless it is powerfull enough to pull a really vintage mini.
Lon