Any way to convert this 3/4 crankshaft?

What is the diameter of the thread? What is the diameter of the smooth part of the shaft?
What is the overall length of the shaft and length of the threaded section?
Is there a keyway and does it run the full length of the shaft and through the threaded section?
If there is a keyway, is it 3/16" or 1/4" wide?
Please rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees and take of the keyway for us to see.

Gdiddy58

What is the diameter of the thread? What is the diameter of the smooth part of the shaft?
Is there a keyway and does it run the full length of the shaft and through the threaded section?
Total shaft length all way to the oil seal is 2 5/8.
Length of threaded portion is 9/16
Diameter of shaft is 3/4.
No key way. Was used on a water pump.
Engine has low usage and runs perfect.

Gdiddy58

Thread diameter is 5/8

Minimichael

I've seen this too and wondered the same. It looked to me like the smooth shaft is also a bushing, independent of the threaded shaft. Nevertheless, since the smooth part is already 3/4", there's no conversion that would still allow a keyway. I put it on the shelf to wait for a future replacement crank.

If available, you can replace the crankshaft with a conventional PTO end.
The only other thing that I can think of is to have the crankshaft machined down to 5/8" with a 3/16" keyway added.
If anyone else has an idea or experience, please chime in.

The easiest way would be to replace the crankshaft with one that has the PTO that you need.
You can start looking on line or stop by small engine shops, they may have used engines with a crankshaft that may work.
Good luck to you, please let us know how you make out.

Outside of a fancy taper lock adapter from keyless to keyed which i could not find, how about something like this angle grinder nut? Its 5/8-11 with 4 symetrical holes already. Could it be bolted to the center hub on a 3/4 shaft centrifugal clutch and use that as a drive dog for it? It would be a spin on clutch with no side to side adjustment however but would solve the other problem mentioned of no shoulder or "step" on the shaft but it would locate it like this positively away from wrecking the seal and bearing if so equipped. Just another idea to play off of. Good luck.

Attachments

Augiedoggie

To a centrifugal clutch with key without replacing the crankshaft? Surely someone has created a threaded collar.
Fabricating an adapter bushing is an easy operation for any competent machinist. If you had to hire a machinist at prevailing rates, you would likely find it cost prohibitive. Keyed crankshafts are as common as cow shit in a field. Simple operation to remove your threaded crank and replace it.

You could get your clutch installed and adjusted where you want it, then just weld it to the crankshaft. You might get a couple years of use out of it like that.
OR.... get a good cutoff tool and just cut a keyway into the side of your crank.

Last edited: