anybody have a 10hp + minibike???

I just started up a 11hp tecumseh engine I put on a minibike and it has a 11" straight pipe exhaust and it was too loud.. I was kneeling down to play with the choke and it was idling really loud and I hit the throttle to open it up almost all the way and it hurt my ear. I never thought I would need a muffler to quiet down the exhuast on a minibike but this thing is crazy loud. Sounds like a helicopter.. Anybody else running a big engine like that? Im just curious what kind of exhaust ppl might be running. Maybe I should put a 7hp engine on it instead since I have a spare. I will make a short video tomorrow.

I have straight pipe on a 3hp briggs, 3.5 brigg, 5hp tecumseh and a 7hp tecumseh but this 11hp is crazy. Its been raining almost non stop since fri night. It finally stopped raining this morning so I can post up a vid later today. I will try to get a muffler from tractor supply if they have something decent.

those big old tecumsehs are ear drum shattering even with a muffler on them. Maybe because the valve timing sucks and lets the explosions out before bdc.

Im going to say no just for the sake of making youre life easy. Put a muffler on it and call it good. youre neighbors will thank you :)

Would hand filing down the exhaust valve stem where it meets the cam lobe help? Or does the camshaft need machine work? Just curious. I probably wont do either.

I would just put a muffler on it and point the muffler at the ground :thumbsup: My 10h Tec snow blower with stock muffler is loud :doah: and it runs just fine :thumbsup:

It keeps backfiring when I rev it hard.. I have the fuel screws turned 1 1/2 out. It doesnt have an air filter housing yet so I havnt tried to tune it. I used a empty soup can for an air filter housing and all thats left to do is widen the hole a little but Im waiting for a friend to drop off a dremel tool. Im getting a muffler tomorrow and I have a pipe fitting to aim it toward the ground. Thanks for reminding me Harleys Papa, I was gonna just aim it straight back but thats a better idea. It also leaks some gas out of the carb but only after I cover the intake to stop the engine. I forgot to hook the kill switch wire up the the coil when I removed the shroud to paint it ultra high temp black. Thanks guys for all the replys. :scooter:

I didnt know that. Is there anything I can do to fix that? The engine was made in 1992.
This giant muffler I was trying to sell a while back might be just what you are looking for. Its for the 10 HP + Tecumseh's. A Taylor too. It's almost the size of a Triumph or MG car muffler. I'd like it to be put to good use. I don't own anything big enough for it. It's nos. $100.

cxbra

lol I cant wait to take this out for a ride at 2am with this exhaust.. neighbors will burn my shed down with all my minibikes inside.
I feel your pain. My last bikes had straight pipes on them, but my current bike has a bone stock Predator 212cc with "free mods" (bored out stock intake, bored out carb, bone stock muffler setup) and its definitely far from quiet even with the stock muffler, but at least its a toned down sound. 80% of my minibike rides are late at night so having a quiet bike is a plus. What I usually do anyways is cruise 10mph through my neighborhood then once im in someone elses neighborhood, its on!