Anyone try a Kohler 8hp???

Cool
For the true vintage look I guess a Briggs or Tecumseh is the way to go. What is your favorite/ best choice with these brands?
Thank!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That's a briggs blockzilla. That's my favorite briggs, but that's a purpose built race block. The tecumseh has a Star block the is very good as well.

i saw a kohler 18hp twin on craigslist a while ago, it looked like it would be a good large-mini-bike engine. So a 8hp sounds like it would work good

the engine slots on the older k series engines don't line up to a standard minibike engine mount plate. you should go with a briggs 5hp in my opinion (easy to work on)(easy to get parts) DON'T BUY A CLONE!!!!! PLEASE!!!!

they're dominating vintage minis and they all look the same have something unique. somebody should put an ultralight engine on a mini! now that would be fun!

I had a 7hp kohler with a starter generator off an Cub Tractor in a mini , it was heavy but was real cool with that elecrtic starter ,, It was as fast as any small engine ,, lots of low end power , I had it hooked up with a jack shaft and a clutch ,, It was ok .and with the electric to hook up a fun project . :thumbsup:

I almost went with a 8HP Kohler for my Super Bronc frame (a collection of this & that). It was going to take more modification than I wanted to do. Bolt patterns weren't even close; shaft was way to long; engine sat too high for the frame; and too long to allow for the jackshaft location. Someone had taken off the electric starter. It's a real nice engine with a heavy cast iron block. I only wish I had a use for it or something to put it in. $40 could have owned it.

Keep in mind the height of the engine as compared to the common minibike frame. Aside from being heavy, I would not be surprised that it was too tall.