Arcit Cat MiniBike Retro Fit engine?

Hey guys! I picked up a little Arctic Cat Mini Bike frame. I figured out it is a 72 Prowler. Originally it would have a sachs saxonette 50cc engine. I dont have the engine and I am not looking to do a perfect restore just a little mini bike to mess around on. The saxonette engines are hard to find and expensive. I am thinking about running a Briggs or Tecuhmpse (spelling?) or something like that. The problem I see is most of the mini bikes with a chain comming right of the engine are solid with no swing arm suspension like what I have. Some arctic cats had a jack shaft type set up, but mine is not one of them. Do you guys have any advice for me? What kind of engine should I get?

Thanks!

-lynxer

den35

I've done exactly what you're thinking of doing with the same bike,only I used a honda clone engine.I'll take and post some pics of my(newly revised) setup tomorrow if you want.

I'll warn you now though.You'd better have some welding and fabricating skills,or know someone who does.It's not a simple conversion.

den35

Here's my efforts.

You'll need to fab or weld...

1.Engine mount plate
2.Jackshaft
3.Air intake
4.Exhaust pipe
5.Clutch drive cover

hey i need some of the parts you have so you might be better off selling me what i need (ill pay up if you would sell) im in need of your head light and handel bar mounts and the piece that you mount the headlight on you could still use the whole frame i am just really in need of these parts because i have 2 1971 prowlers with the engines and i really want to get them to a show room finish if you would concider this pm me and ill give you a phone number to call me at if not thats ok to:thumbsup:

Last edited:

den35

Jeff1:

I feel your pain.I wanted to go full restore as well,but the lack of parts available made that highly unlikely.Since my wife loves this bike I modded it to be a rider,and the work is still going on.Next project is to make the headlight work,followed by a seat upgrade.
Sorry I can't help you there,but I've put too much effort into this one to cannibalize it.

If ebay turns up nothing,maybe you could fabricate what you need.Most handlebar mounts are aluminium.You could grind and polish a generic set to look like the stock AC pieces.And the headlight mount is just thin plate steel cut and bent to shape.nothing fancy about it.(doing this may save you a fortune.For example,a recoil for these bikes sold on ebay for $350.)

Last edited:
i already have one complete minus the handel bar mounts!! it runs good all it needs is a good polishing and the new handel bar mounts thats why i want them so bad this bike is completely original accept this piece.the other is missing alot but still im so close so i think i should go full original and not going full original over one piece seems like a bad idea i may even bid on a brand new gas tank cuz it looks reall good and would give a brand new feel to the whole bike even though it is almost 40 years old(asuming i find mounts first) :freakout:

Last edited: