are scrub brakes good enough?

slam49

I'm rebuilding an old mini bike and honestly ive never ridden one that i can really rememeber the brakes on..

this bike i'm building has a scrub brake which is fine but I was thinking about adding a drum brake to the rear wheel also. maybe integrate the scrub brake petal so it pulls the drum lever at the same time its scrubbing the tire.

maybe the extra brake isnt needed and scrubs work awesome?? i don't know, thats why im asking.. Ideally Id like to have all the fab work done before i paint it not have to go back and add a drum brake after its all built because it wont stop lol.

should i add a brake or just leave it alone? I will for sure have to modify the scrub brake a little bit anyway because the tire size that it came with is not really available.. not a big deal tho, i can fit it and make it work.

Last edited:
They work fair..and not at all if any moisture touches the tire. Can't ever go wrong with a good old fashion clutch brake. Well unless your chain pops.:laugh:

slam49

how good do the drum brakes work? like the cheapo azusa kind. I actually threw one on an order of parts i have comming but like i said i am unsure how good they work in general. should i just jump straight to a clutch brake or will a combo scrub and wheel drum be pretty ok?

slam49

here is a slight setback on a clutch drum, the side cover on my flathead briggs doesnt have the 4 bolt holes for accesories.

capguncowboy

You could just buy the band and fab up a bracket on the engine plate

Clutch brakes are very effective. If you're running a 6:1 gear ratio, you also get 6:1 braking power. Some have complained they grab too good.

slam49

maybe i can fab up a clutch brake that is actuated by the scrub brake pedal. I kinda want to keep all that true to the bike, the pedal and all.

here is a slight setback on a clutch drum, the side cover on my flathead briggs doesnt have the 4 bolt holes for accesories.
Older Briggs didn't have the 4 holes..and you just use spacers and the longer side cover bolts for the two holes. And I have heard many mixed opinions about those drum set ups. Personally...I don't care for drums.

capguncowboy

I have heard many mixed opinions about those drum set ups. Personally...I don't care for drums.
My biggest reason for disliking them is they don't work :laugh:

I have drums on my big-wheeled bike and it takes forever to stop

Actually, now that you mention the Briggs engines, I remember that one of the side-cover bolt holes lines up perfect for a clutch brake. No need for a bracket at all -- just get a long bolt and some extra lock nuts.

Last edited:

capguncowboy