Axle connection to new frame

Hi everyone,

Could use some assistance in tracking down a thread I found that contained an alternate way of connecting a wheel axle to a new frame tube end by using an eye bolt as pictured below. If anyone can recall what thread it was in or possibly where a guy might buy these would be very helpful. Without access to a shop press and the intended frame design being similar to a frijole tube end this may be a good way to go. I have searched online and can't seem to find a place to purchase them in steel unless I provide an email address to get a quote, don't need 100, so some input would be great.

Thanks,

eye bolt.JPG

Hi Oldn:

Not exactly sure but the thread you're talking about could have mine. In any event, I thought of doing this at one time and found a part that could have perhaps worked. Go to jegs.com and put part #64157 in the search bar. This is a 5/8" rod end with jam nut.

Now...if you look at the spec details of this part, you'll see the threaded end is 3/4" (.750). Okay....so if you're thinking of slipping this into a 7/8" tube with a .083 wall you would simply have to "shave-down" the threads a bit. Reason is 7/8" minus the tube wall thickness nets a rough I.D. of .709. So, .750 (rod end thread) minus .709 and you're only talking losing .041 on those threads to be able to fit.

Obviously, you probably don't need the nut but I guess you get it anyway. Also, it looks like there should be plenty of room for welding as well.

Hope this helps, Henry

Last edited:
Thanks Sunnyknoll,

That is absolutely the item I'm looking for, :thumbsup: You just saved me having to look back through approx the first 500 threads in the General section, life saver, can't thank you enough!

The thread or build I saw it in was a new build if I'm not mistaken and I thought it was a fantastic idea to use these in lieu of a flat bar inserted inside or welded on the tube for a nice finish and as mentioned I have no access to a press so options are limited. These rod ends will add lateral support as well for the somewhat of a springer front fork I'm planning with a mono shock. I realize a person can use a horizontal piece of tubing for the same situation but I'm kind of thinking this will produce a much nicer finish. The intended tube is 1" O.D. so these will slip right in, weld em up and good to go.

ps, why did you opt out of using these?

Thank you again Henry, Cheers
Al

Al, you're welcome........glad to help. The reason why I opted out of that idea is I decided to invest some money and bought a shop press and had a die made at a friend's machine shop that enables crimping the ends of 7/8 tubing similar to that of the Lil Indians. So far so good. BTW, I probably should have put a link/picture of that Jeg's rod end up so that others could take a look......my bad!

Henry