B&S 691922 intake swap.

Sprocket86

Hi there. I was at the dump last summer and found myself a 70's Gilson front tine tiller. This thing is pretty beat up but it had a nice solid what appears to be a mid to late 70's 5hp Briggs Flatty. Picket it up for $18 in scrap weight.

The engine block and tank have that light blue metalic paint and the engine shroud is gold. Because the recoil housing is from a different engine I really cannot correctly idendify the engine block. I understand the how to break down the Model, Type and Code.

My question is, I'd like to do a Tecumseh carb swap and will the B&S pn#691922 intake work on this era of Briggs engine block?

I'll get some pics posted later tonight of this engine.

Thanks.

Sprocket86

I was reading that older post and that's where I found that part number. Another member posted that he attempted to use this 691922 intake manifold on an older Briggs 5HP and the bolt holes didn't line up on the block.

Seems like only 1990's and up Briggs flat heads can use this B&S 691922 intake for a Tec carb conversion?

CarPlayLB

You need the 3 bolt intake pattern for it to work, or drill and tap a new hole! I have an extra manifold too! Look at the intake port and if you have enogh material there, drilling and tapping a hole should not be a big deal! The hole goes in line with the two existing holes , and centerline to centerline is about 1/4-3/8" further down, in a SouthEast direction...that is if the head is due North!

Sprocket86

You need the 3 bolt intake pattern for it to work, or drill and tap a new hole! I have an extra manifold too! Look at the intake port and if you have enogh material there, drilling and tapping a hole should not be a big deal! The hole goes in line with the two existing holes , and centerline to centerline is about 1/4-3/8" further down, in a SouthEast direction...that is if the head is due North!
Himm sounds promising and thanks! I'm going to be yanking this 5hp flatty off the tiller tonight and ill post up some pics. I'm almost positive this engine dates back to 78-81 era.

It'd be sweet if that 691922 briggs intake will work as I just want to be able to have a 5 hp flat head briggs mounted flat with a Comet Tav2 not having to be clocked down to clear the fuel tank.

Sprocket86

5hp Briggs 691922 intake swap candidate with pics.

Here is some pics of the engine I was out in a snow squall unbolting it from a rototiller a few nights back lol.

I believe I'm mistaken here. I initially thought that this 5hp Briggs was much older then it is. I'm positive the engine shroud dates back to the mid 70's to early 80's but how can I tell what year the engine block is from? I think it's from the very late 80's to late 90's based off the air cleaner and the plug in the crankcase in place of the low oil shut down switch.

Upon further discovery this engine has a ball bearing PTO:thumbsup:

Could this engine possibly perhaps have a cast iron cylinder sleeve?

Is this block of a late enough date to be able to use the B&S 691922 intake?

Thanks guys.

Sprocket86

Looks like a late model engine with an early shroud to me
I've never seen a later model 5hp flat head Briggs painted in that greenish/blue color, hence why I thought it was older.

Do you think this later model block will accept the B&S 691922 intake manifold?

I'll be super happy if this $18 scrap yard find has a cast iron sleeve! Is there anyway I can tell without pulling the head and placing a magnet on the cylinder wall?

CarPlayLB

There is a chance that is an I/C motor, based on the block off plate at the front of the motor. Take the plug out and get a small magnet and lower it into the cylinder through the plug hole...make sure you can get it back out if it sticks!
Pull the shroud off and look at the intake area. I am sure this has the 3 hole mounting pattern, as the block off plate defines this as a later block

I'm going to tear into this 5hp briggs today down to the short block so I'll have the head off. This way I can inspect the cylinder wall, intake and exhaust valve seats. Clean the carbon deposits while I'm in there too!

Hopefully this engine hasn't been worked to death in it's rototiller action days.