Bad vibration when accelerating

Ok I just ran into a problem when I had my 14th max torque clutch my cousin who is 130 sad the bike would vibrate a lot like really bad, but when I rode it it wouldn't viberate, but I just put a 12th clutch on it and now it viberates really bad when it accelerates with me on it like I can't even stand it. It sucks, can anyone help me, also when I spin the front tire every turn it makes a poping sound and feeling

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
when I spin the front tire every turn it makes a poping sound and feeling

Get some wheel bearings....Remove and check them, I'm sure one is gone.

Is engine vibration there when you are off the bike ?

I am concerned by your posts.

How old are you chum?
I'm just trying to get a feel for your age and experience level.

I was lucky, well into my teens my dad was there to offer advice and technical suport to my karting days ( and he still provides me some input even today ).

I think you need a mentor.
Someone in person to help you and act as sounding board.
The right person can really help you speed up your projects and improve the quality of the end product.

Even I get help to this day when I find I am bumping up against trouble,

I am concerned by your posts.

How old are you chum?
I'm just trying to get a feel for your age and experience level.

I was lucky, well into my teens my dad was there to offer advice and technical suport to my karting days ( and he still provides me some input even today ).

I think you need a mentor.
Someone in person to help you and act as sounding board.
The right person can really help you speed up your projects and improve the quality of the end product.

Even I get help to this day when I find I am bumping up against trouble,
Who's chum? Also I am going to change the wheel bearing front and back, hopefully it's just that cause I just bought this motor and the place I got it from prolly will not take it back, and about my age I'm 16 and I usually have my uncle help me when I need help, but I also know a lot of stuff when it comes to these motors i did tons of reasearch but I could still use a lot more
Also if this helps the bike just started doing this it was never doing it before

when I spin the front tire every turn it makes a poping sound and feeling

Get some wheel bearings....Remove and check them, I'm sure one is gone.

Is engine vibration there when you are off the bike ?
Not really, I had it up on a stand and it wasn't vibrating as bad as it was with me on it

Vibration only when accelerating? And what tooth count did you have on the rear?

Really need more info.

Bad bearing can cause a vibration. I can't see the clutch causing it unless you're lugging it.

Vibration only when accelerating? And what tooth count did you have on the rear?

Really need more info.

Bad bearing can cause a vibration. I can't see the clutch causing it unless you're lugging it.
The gearing on the rear is 62 it feels like it lost some speed but that could be from me oiling up the clutch

Last edited:
When you twist the throttle the entire bike feels like it's vibrating? What happens when you lay off the throttle? Does it vibrate while decelerating? Are you using the BSP motor on the bike? check your motor plate. I had a cheap four wheeler break the front motor mounts, and the thing started vibrating like crazy.

When you twist the throttle the entire bike feels like it's vibrating? What happens when you lay off the throttle? Does it vibrate while decelerating? Are you using the BSP motor on the bike? check your motor plate. I had a cheap four wheeler break the front motor mounts, and the thing started vibrating like crazy.
Yes I'm using it on the bike, and I can't remember if it still vibrates after I let of the throttle, also the motor mounts all look fine I checked the whole frame, also I put the 14th clutch back on and now it viberates when it gets up to speed and take off is smooth, but when I had the 12th clutch on It, it would only shake shake on take off really bad but it would smooth out when it started gaining speed

And you checked the wheel bearings?
Yeah I checked them and didn't see any thing wrong with them but tomorrow I'm buying all new bearing just to check, why do you think the vibration would be worse with the 12th clutch cause when I take off with the 12th it's very violent vibration but when I take off with the 14th it dosnt vibrate at all until I hit about 25-30 but then it smoothes out

I'm not sure that it is the gearing, but the changing of the clutch seems to be what causes the vibrations. Does it only shake when you have a load on the motor? What happens if you put the minibike on something to get the wheels off the ground, and then you twist the throttle? Does it vibrate in the same way? Does it only vibrate when you're riding it? Stick a 4x4 (or something that will lift the rear up so that the wheel doesn't touch) under the frame rails to lift the rear wheel off of the ground and sit on the bike. be careful not to wind the motor up too high, but note the level of vibration. Is it similar to what you see when riding it? If so, I don't think it is the gearing. If not, then I would say that it is possible that the gearing is what is making it vibrate.

What rear sprocket are you running? Is it the kind that allows you to swap sprocket easily (similar to those on racing karts)?

If I were you, I'd keep a notebook in the garage. Write all of this down and look for patterns. This is how you build your knowledge base. Experience is a great teacher. As you tinker with this thing, you'll learn a lot. Keep information on the performance of your engines as well. If I remember right, you've been posting a lot about the build up of your engine. Write down what you've done, and what you've seen. When you build the next motor, take note of what you've done differently and how that has affected the performance. This experience will be very beneficial.

I'm not sure that it is the gearing, but the changing of the clutch seems to be what causes the vibrations. Does it only shake when you have a load on the motor? What happens if you put the minibike on something to get the wheels off the ground, and then you twist the throttle? Does it vibrate in the same way? Does it only vibrate when you're riding it? Stick a 4x4 (or something that will lift the rear up so that the wheel doesn't touch) under the frame rails to lift the rear wheel off of the ground and sit on the bike. be careful not to wind the motor up too high, but note the level of vibration. Is it similar to what you see when riding it? If so, I don't think it is the gearing. If not, then I would say that it is possible that the gearing is what is making it vibrate.

What rear sprocket are you running? Is it the kind that allows you to swap sprocket easily (similar to those on racing karts)?

If I were you, I'd keep a notebook in the garage. Write all of this down and look for patterns. This is how you build your knowledge base. Experience is a great teacher. As you tinker with this thing, you'll learn a lot. Keep information on the performance of your engines as well. If I remember right, you've been posting a lot about the build up of your engine. Write down what you've done, and what you've seen. When you build the next motor, take note of what you've done differently and how that has affected the performance. This experience will be very beneficial.
I did that and there was no vibration

Is your chain too loose/tight? You should only have about 1/2 inch of movement in the chain when you push on it, and you don't want it so tight that it is stressed. If your chain is loose, it will vibrate some. When you change the number of teeth on the clutch, it will change the tension of the chain, right? This is where adjustable axles and engine plates come in handy. I made a really cheap (basically free) chain tensioner on my doodle bug. It helped out a lot with the noise from my sloppy chain hitting the chain guard.

great read, i'm having same issues with my western flyer and like jrdragbike when it gets up to speed the vibration disappears. i actually thought it was tension on the chain but when i sat and let it just idle the chain vibrated so i cranked up my bonanza to see the difference and there was no vibration so now i'm thinking it may be the clutch (new) :shrug:

great read, i'm having same issues with my western flyer and like jrdragbike when it gets up to speed the vibration disappears. i actually thought it was tension on the chain but when i sat and let it just idle the chain vibrated so i cranked up my bonanza to see the difference and there was no vibration so now i'm thinking it may be the clutch (new) :shrug:
Can't be the clutch I tried to of them and nothing I'll buy bearing tomorrow and let you know

Do you drive a vehicle? If so..bring the bike up to the track on Sunday if the bearings or clutch do not fix your issues. I am not a mentor...but I can figure out most anything on minis.

hm well i beginning to wonder if mine has some cheap bearings on the front but in my case it seems like it would vibrate more at higher speeds but it ride smoother as speed increases.