Baja DB 30 Engine Swap Help!

Hey there guys. I got a Baja Doodle Bug 30 about a year ago, and decided I need to make it faster now that I ride it more often. I know there is a guy selling the complete kits for the 6.5 HP engine and what not, but I was thinking I could possibly go a little smaller, maybe 5 or 5.5 around there. But the thing is, I dont want to have to buy a new clutch, or anything. I dont know much about engines, but I just want something that is real easy and simple to install. I also dont have a lot of money to spend, the $290 it would cost for the complete kit he is selling is a bit over my limit, but if it comes down to it I would pay it. But I was wondering if anything like this would work... Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices without having to fab an engine mount, or replacing anything. Just using what comes with that and I already have.

Thanks in advance guys :thumbsup:

Also: I was wondering if theres anything I can do to make the little thing any faster temporarily? I'd like to get a new engine and what not within this week, but temporarily I'd like a bit more speed! I heard some guy loosened a screw under his carb on the bike to give full throttle, and me having a general idea of where the carb is, I tried to find it and I think I found it... it is a screw basically on keeping the throttle cable tight? I can post a picture if needed, so you could let me know if thats the right thing I loosened! I dont want to drive it at night and have my neighbors complain to find out if that was it or not. Thanks again.

Last edited:
For some reason I cannot edit my post. I guess you may not be able to edit twice... so I apologize for the double post but I also do not understand the significance of the Horizontal Shaft measuring? I see most engines are 3/4" but from what I've seen the DB 30 is 5/8". So, what does that mean that I need to take into mind when buying an engine? Where do you measure to get this measurement? Thanks.

den35

Welcome to the group,Ericturb!:smile:

I put a 5.5hp clone on my DB30,and it's strong enough to haul my 4yr old daughter and me up some rather steep hills and fast enough to outrun the local transit bus.In other words,HUGE improvement.

I'm afraid you'll have no choice but to buy a new clutch.As you said,the crankshaft diameter on the stock engine is 5/8".But most larger engines(4hp+ I believe) have 3/4" diameter crankshafts.And you'll want to change the clutch anyways as the stock clutch is(in my opinion) SCRAP!I'm putting my stock DB30 engine on another bike with a jackshaft kit and tried to,like you,just use what I had on hand.However,I discovered that the stock clutch is just NO DAMN GOOD.It's made for children and doesn't have the grabbing force needed for any real performance.A nice Max-Torque clutch is around $25 from mfgsupply.com,and shipping is cheap.Just remember to order one to match the engine crankshaft size with a #35 chain sprocket as the stock chain is #35 size.

You don't nessessarily have to spend a lot of money on a new engine.Check your local classified listing.Some here have found old power washers or snowblowers with good engines for dirt cheap.Or look for sales.Some have posted deals from Harbour Freight for $99 engines(when they have them).

And as for more speed from your stock engine,the screw you want is at the bottom of the engine,near the cable.It is easy to spot.It has a coil spring wrapped around it and stops the throttle lever from going too far.Simply loosen it right back(or remove it if you prefer) to get the engines best RPMs.You won't get any more power,but you will have more speed.

Let us know what you decide to do.You'll find lots of help here.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hey den35, thanks alot for the help. So is it a breeze installing a new clutch? And I'd want the max-torque one as you had mentioned. I really am just starting to learn about engines (only because of this DB 30). So I dont know much about installing them or installing anything to do with them. The engine seems easy, just gotta mount it on or drill new holes for it to fit on what mount I already have. But the nice thing about Chris' complete kit (the guy from this forum) he has everything all ready to install in about an hour. Which includes a clutch, and a custom engine mount.

Another question, did your DB 30's chain slap against the chain guard while on idle and taking left turns? I was going to take a few links out, but I've never even done that :p So I'm going to give that a shot and maybe by the next time I talk to you I will have that done.

Also, exhausts. I really want it to sound better, now.. I'm going to wait till I get a new engine, but how easy is it to fit an exhaust pipe to the exhaust on an exhaust on an engine? If that makes sense. Thanks again lol..

Hey den35, thanks alot for the help. So is it a breeze installing a new clutch? And I'd want the max-torque one as you had mentioned. I really am just starting to learn about engines (only because of this DB 30). So I dont know much about installing them or installing anything to do with them. The engine seems easy, just gotta mount it on or drill new holes for it to fit on what mount I already have. But the nice thing about Chris' complete kit (the guy from this forum) he has everything all ready to install in about an hour. Which includes a clutch, and a custom engine mount.

Another question, did your DB 30's chain slap against the chain guard while on idle and taking left turns? I was going to take a few links out, but I've never even done that :p So I'm going to give that a shot and maybe by the next time I talk to you I will have that done.

Also, exhausts. I really want it to sound better, now.. I'm going to wait till I get a new engine, but how easy is it to fit an exhaust pipe to the exhaust on an exhaust on an engine? If that makes sense. Thanks again lol..
Oh, and in addition to all that (since I cant edit the post) I was wondering... I currently have a 5/8" crank shaft I believe. And the engine I'm looking at now has a 3/4" crank shaft, does that mean I should get a 3/4" Bore Clutch? Thanks.

den35

Putting a new centrifugal clutch on an engine is easy.Slide the clutch onto the shaft,line the keyway on the shaft up with the keyway on the clutch,put the key(little piece of square metal stock) into the keyway slotbetween the clutch and shaft,and tighten the set screws on the clutch.If you have a bolt that threads into the end of the shaft(most new engines don't come with one),put it in with a washer larger than the shaft,just to be safe.
And yes,a 3/4" shaft means you need a 3/4" bore clutch.

Yep.My chain hit the chainguard with either the stock or new engine.Didn't matter how tight it was.I epoxied a strip of plastic to the inside of my chainguard.Still hits,but doesn't clang like it used to.

I haven't done any exhaust work yet as I'm still teaching myself to weld with a stick welder.Sofar all mine are stock.But that keeps the neighbors happy.

Chris's kit would by far be the best choice,in my opinion.I would have ordered one myself,but he came out with it a week after I had done mine.But as long as you remember to keep a straight line between the clutch and rear sprockets,you shouldn't have much trouble drilling new mounting holes.Just remember to lay them out before you drill.As the old addage goes "Measure Twice,Cut Once"

If you look in photo gallery under my members pics,you'll see the chain tensioner mod I came up with.I found this nessessary even after removing 2 links from the chain.

Be warned.I put a 5.5hp on mine and now,if I'm not careful,it tries to smack me in the face with the front wheel.:doah:(must remember to lean forward)

Putting a new centrifugal clutch on an engine is easy.Slide the clutch onto the shaft,line the keyway on the shaft up with the keyway on the clutch,put the key(little piece of square metal stock) into the keyway slotbetween the clutch and shaft,and tighten the set screws on the clutch.If you have a bolt that threads into the end of the shaft(most new engines don't come with one),put it in with a washer larger than the shaft,just to be safe.
And yes,a 3/4" shaft means you need a 3/4" bore clutch.

Yep.My chain hit the chainguard with either the stock or new engine.Didn't matter how tight it was.I epoxied a strip of plastic to the inside of my chainguard.Still hits,but doesn't clang like it used to.

I haven't done any exhaust work yet as I'm still teaching myself to weld with a stick welder.Sofar all mine are stock.But that keeps the neighbors happy.

Chris's kit would by far be the best choice,in my opinion.I would have ordered one myself,but he came out with it a week after I had done mine.But as long as you remember to keep a straight line between the clutch and rear sprockets,you shouldn't have much trouble drilling new mounting holes.Just remember to lay them out before you drill.As the old addage goes "Measure Twice,Cut Once"

If you look in photo gallery under my members pics,you'll see the chain tensioner mod I came up with.I found this nessessary even after removing 2 links from the chain.

Be warned.I put a 5.5hp on mine and now,if I'm not careful,it tries to smack me in the face with the front wheel.:doah:(must remember to lean forward)
Hey, I appreciate the response. I'm undecided whether I want to just keep the stock engine and put on a new rear sprocket and also a 5/8" clutch that will fit the crank shaft, or if I should just get a 6.5 engine and a new clutch. I was wondering, if I get a larger sprocket, wouldnt I need a new chain? I guess I am just wondering how much faster the bike could get with a stock engine and a new clutch and sprocket. It goes pretty fast now that I loosened that throttle spring screw. How much faster do you think it could go? Would I be better of just getting a new engine? And I cant seem to find an engine that is 5.0-5.5 HP that is good price. I can get a 6.5 for $150, and the clutch for it for $25, so maybe if you knew where I could find a cheap 5.5? Thanks,

oldsledz

With the larger sprocket top speed will be less than it is now but it will take off faster.

If you have a Harbor freight store near you watch for a sale around here they have the 6.5 HP engine on sale for 99.99 The sales are not the same in all areas so it may be a while before you can get that price where you live.

Get on their mailing list for their flyers and the email list for more coupons.

With the larger sprocket top speed will be less than it is now but it will take off faster.

If you have a Harbor freight store near you watch for a sale around here they have the 6.5 HP engine on sale for 99.99 The sales are not the same in all areas so it may be a while before you can get that price where you live.

Get on their mailing list for their flyers and the email list for more coupons.
Hey Oldsledz, I really appreciate the response man. Faster take off is exactly what I want, but is the top speed lowered dramatically or even noticeably? I think tomorrow I'm gonna call Harbor Freight, and pick it up at the store. $159.99 is in my budget range, then I just need a clutch for it. And unless I'm not impressed with the take off, I wont need a new rear sprocket. And if I did, would I need a new chain? Thanks.

Hey Oldsledz, I really appreciate the response man. Faster take off is exactly what I want, but is the top speed lowered dramatically or even noticeably? I think tomorrow I'm gonna call Harbor Freight, and pick it up at the store. $159.99 is in my budget range, then I just need a clutch for it. And unless I'm not impressed with the take off, I wont need a new rear sprocket. And if I did, would I need a new chain? Thanks.
Oh, and will this sprocket work for the DB 30? I measured diameter of the stock sprocket and it is about 8" exact. Anything I need to look for in a sprocket for it to fit right? And my question still stands whether I'll need a new chain or not.

den35

I'm starting to wonder if a clutch might be all you need.I'm in the process of putting my stock DB30 engine on another bike.Just waiting on some last parts to finish it.But in early tests,even with a jackshaft kit,the stock DB30 clutch doesn't grab all that well.I've got a MaxTorque clutch coming soon(I hope),along with the rest of my order.I'm hoping that does the trick as I already put on a 60TT drive sprocket(same as the stock DB30).I'll post the results when it's rideable.

If you choose to change the sprocket on yours,you'll need to get an 80 tooth blank and machine the mounting holes yourself,as sofar,no-one makes a direct replacement for the DB30(that I know of anyways).

Last edited:
I'm starting to wonder if a clutch might be all you need.I'm in the process of putting my stock DB30 engine on another bike.Just waiting on some last parts to finish it.But in early tests,even with a jackshaft kit,the stock DB30 clutch doesn't grab all that well.I've got a MaxTorque clutch coming soon(I hope),along with the rest of my order.I'm hoping that does the trick as I already put on a 60TT drive sprocket(same as the stock DB30).I'll post the results when it's rideable.

If you choose to change the sprocket on yours,you'll need to get an 80 tooth blank and machine the mounting holes yourself,as sofar,no-one makes a direct replacement for the DB30(that I know of anyways).
Ok, so sounds like I wont be getting a new sprocket. But, last night I ordered a 5/8" #35 chain Max Torque clutch. Should it be a smoother ride? Also I think it has 11 teeth, I'm unsure how many teeth mine currently has, but maybe faster acceleration? I just hope its easy to install. I decided I needed a new one because lack of maintence on mine, has led it to be completely shot. But, like I said I really hope its something I can figure out (installing the clutch). Thanks man, and I hope the new clutch helps you out also.

Last edited:

den35

That should make a difference.The Max-Torques seem to grab much harder than the stock DB30 clutch.So you should be able to get the most out of that little 2.5hp engine.And you ordered the right size.It should drop right on where the old one came off.

That should make a difference.The Max-Torques seem to grab much harder than the stock DB30 clutch.So you should be able to get the most out of that little 2.5hp engine.And you ordered the right size.It should drop right on where the old one came off.
I havent seen how many teeth are on the stock clutch, but like I said the one I ordered has 11 teeth so I'm hoping it will accelerate faster too. As far as getting the clutch off, what do you need?

den35

A wrench to remove the end bolt,and 1 or 2 hands.Mine was a bit stiff on the crank,so I used a large screwdriver to pry lightly between the clutch and the block and gave the crank a few light taps with a hammer.You may or may not have to do that.It should just slide off once the end bolt is removed.

A wrench to remove the end bolt,and 1 or 2 hands.Mine was a bit stiff on the crank,so I used a large screwdriver to pry lightly between the clutch and the block and gave the crank a few light taps with a hammer.You may or may not have to do that.It should just slide off once the end bolt is removed.
Hey man thanks for all the followups. That sounds pretty easy, only thing I'm worried about is installing the new clutch, but I hope I have no reason to worry, and if I do I'm confident you'll help me out! How long do you think it will take to receive the clutch from MFGSupply? I ordered it Saturday night.

den35

Better listen to Strigoi on that one.I'm in Canada,so it takes a bit longer(about a week and a half) to get my orders.Only because it has to get thru customs and comes by postal service.

what guy?

if i want to get hold of someone i usually call them on the phone.

if you're talking about cjtmini, try using the search feature. it works really hahahahaing good for finding out information.

Last edited: