Band brake liner adhesive advice wanted.

Biffmini

Did you sand any "tooth" on the inside of the metal band? It looks pretty shiny and smooth.
I was thinking I should have sanded the inside of the band.
Do you think it will hold just by roughing the band? I seen others use JBWELD for this application I'm just wondering how long it holds up.

mustangfrank

Do you think it will hold just by roughing the band? I seen others use JBWELD for this application I'm just wondering how long it holds up.
Seems like a lot use JB based on past reading, I've used a 2-part epoxy I like but I don't think one is better than the other. Definitely scuffing that up will bond better, like 40 or 60 grit.

I used gorilla glue two part epoxy knowing it was not going to work….damned if it isn’t holding strong….used band on a rear wheel drum only though…not sure if a big difference or not…but as said above it’s all in the preparation…scuff the shit out of it….

I use a 2 part epoxy when re-lining Rupp 2 speed secondary clutch shoes. Don't have the specific name in front of me.
In north Carolina I purchased the stuff off of E bay. Specific to gluing brake and clutch linings. Strong stuff.
Joe51

toomanytoys

I used jb weld in 2010 on my super bronc band brake. It's still on there sold.

Sanded it down, cleaned with acetone, then after drying I applied the jb weld and brake lining.

It's held up.

kayde

I used jb weld in 2010 on my super bronc band brake. It's still on there sold.

Sanded it down, cleaned with acetone, then after drying I applied the jb weld and brake lining.

It's held up.
Basically did the same thing on mine around the same time also and it's good.

I used two bolts through the eyelets
of the band and with vise grips clamped it together tite on a old clutch drum to let it set up. I was skeptical but it's held up.

toomanytoys

Basically did the same thing on mine around the same time also and it's good.

I used two bolts through the eyelets
of the band and with vise grips clamped it together tite on a old clutch drum to let it set up. I was skeptical but it's held up.
I clamped all around with those metal clamp style vice grips

You definitely need to rough up the inside of that band.
I've used JB weld on a couple of my Super Bronc brake bands a few years ago and they've both held up. It's all about the prep. Scuff both sides real good, and use a bout a half a dozen small 2"C clamps to hold it all together. Let it cure for 24 hours and should be all set.

Last edited: