Belt drive question!

g'day. cant find much info on this and have seen its not very popular on the net. but how would a minibike drive using a pulley from motor to a pulley on the back wheel, so 2 pulleys, 1 belt. Pro's and Con's? any info will help.:bowdown: thanks!

At one time, I saw centrifugal clutches that were for belt drives rather than chain drives. Not sure why you want to go that route, though, when the biggest two drawbacks to chain drives are "noise" (never found it a problem, personally, I kind of like the sound) and chain stretch. Chain stretch could be all but eliminated if you oversize the chain, though.

Paul

just wanted to try the belt idea for something different, but thought i would get some feedback first, you see alot of choppers that run the straight belt, so i thought i would try and adapt the idea, but couldnt gather much from the net.

people seem to think they have a tendency to slip. That would be a problem in wet or snowy conditions but id think it would be fine in the dry. especially if you use a spring loaded belt tentioner to keep it tight. I have a belt centrifical clutch id like to try on something someday. Im sure youd get more response on diygokarts.com they always use belt setups. but be warned there are alot of kids on there that dont know what the hell theyre talking about :laugh:

just wanted to try the belt idea for something different, but thought i would get some feedback first, you see alot of choppers that run the straight belt, so i thought i would try and adapt the idea, but couldnt gather much from the net.
Yeah, but those choppers do have clutches somewhere in the system to disengage the drive train from the rear wheel (I think it is found in the tranny that is run from the belt, but I don't know for sure). If you want to make something with the chopper "look" you could direct drive a jackshaft so that the belt and JS spin as the engine spins, then use a centrifugal clutch with a chain final drive, or just find a centrifugal clutch for a belt drive.

Paul

My first mini bike had belt drive and ran fine.Some people use belt clutches or weld a pulley onto an old chain drive clutch.I'd like to go to belt drive on one of my minibike projects.:grind:

My first mini bike had belt drive and ran fine.Some people use belt clutches or weld a pulley onto an old chain drive clutch.I'd like to go to belt drive on one of my minibike projects.:grind:
How did you find your mini bike went for take off and top speed, i want to be able to take off with out using my feet! did you have a big pulley on the back? cheers.

TomH

Centrifugal Clutches: Go Kart Clutches & Mini Bike Clutches

down the page they have a belt clutch. I had one when I was a kid on a go cart. It would slip when it was wet, but it would dry out and run fine. I personally think they would be less trouble than a chain setup if you can get the ratio of the pulleys right. The clutch that I had was like a TAV unit that changed the ratio as the engine speed increased. I don't know if the newer ones do that or not. You can run a 4L or 5L belt. I have no idea which one is best. My go cart had a 4L.

Last edited:
Centrifugal Clutches: Go Kart Clutches & Mini Bike Clutches

down the page they have a belt clutch. I had one when I was a kid on a go cart. It would slip when it was wet, but it would dry out and run fine. I personally think they would be less trouble than a chain setup if you can get the ratio of the pulleys right. The clutch that I had was like a TAV unit that changed the ratio as the engine speed increased. I don't know if the newer ones do that or not. You can run a 4L or 5L belt. I have no idea which one is best. My go cart had a 4L.
the one i posted is like a timing belt, i emailed the guy with the auction and he let me know that he has many sizes and shapes all the drive sprocket are standard gocart live axle bolt pattern.

these are the prices he sent
The clutch assembly without drum is $55 the drums range in price from $45-$65 depending on the number of teeth. The sprockets are $36-$42 and the belts $20-$30