Billet rod for the 3hp Briggs

Just checking to see if there is any interest in a billet rod for the 3hp Briggs. I have a guy making some for the doodlebug 2.8 and may get him to do some for the Briggs once I get the 2.8 and test it. The question was asked so i was just checking for those that may be interested before I spend the money and time to try to have it done.

Last edited:

joshua. c.

there is alredy a billet flywheel from arc for the briggs 3hp so making a billet rod avalable woold finaly make it safe to pull the govenor on these engines. I no longer have any briggs 3hps but i might have held on to one if i coold mod it like a 5hp. it woold make a heck of a sleeper motor and realy surprise anyone who raced against it. there have been several threds talking about modding briggs 3hps, so i think there will be some interest but how much im un sure of. id say you will need to test the rods first to make sure they hold up to high rpms, 9000rpms or so. you dont want any angry customers getting on your case after they're engines blew up. after that make a test batch say 10 or so and post half in the mini bike parts section and half on ebay and see how fast they sell and then decide if you will make more.

there is alredy a billet flywheel from arc for the briggs 3hp so making a billet rod avalable woold finaly make it safe to pull the govenor on these engines. I no longer have any briggs 3hps but i might have held on to one if i coold mod it like a 5hp. it woold make a heck of a sleeper motor and realy surprise anyone who raced against it. there have been several threds talking about modding briggs 3hps, so i think there will be some interest but how much im un sure of. id say you will need to test the rods first to make sure they hold up to high rpms, 9000rpms or so. you dont want any angry customers getting on your case after they're engines blew up. after that make a test batch say 10 or so and post half in the mini bike parts section and half on ebay and see how fast they sell and then decide if you will make more.
This is true and the kind of responses I'm looking for. They are almost impossible to get made and I found a guy willing to give it a try. Not sure if I will but asked to get input sense it has and never may be done. The last thing I need is a bunch of pissed off people for trying to make something happen. We all also know that even the billet rod will break also. Trust me I know and have broken them back in the day. I guess nothing will be perfect or unbreakable but stronger.

Last edited:

scootercat

You might sell a few for the 79cc predator that Harbor/Fright sells,a lot of People use them on Motorized Bicycles and are running them without Govs. Just asking for trouble with the stock China powered metal rods....They could use a billet flywheel too!....(A.R.C.hint,hint)...

You might sell a few for the 79cc predator that Harbor/Fright sells,a lot of People use them on Motorized Bicycles and are running them without Govs. Just asking for trouble with the stock China powered metal rods....They could use a billet flywheel too!....(A.R.C.hint,hint)...
Well I have the 2.8DB, 2.5 motovox, 3/3.5 Briggs, and the 3hp predator. I'm 39yrs old and been building engines sense I was 10. Most people want big power and pull all the smaller engines and replace them with bigger ones is why I guess no one makes anything for them. Well me and cousin which is 55 now is at a point where we are just having fun now instead of racing/speed freaks and decided to work with what we buy the bike/karts with. Also we know that if there were parts for the smaller engines people would want them because not everyone wants to go big. And we too has seen people looking for parts over the years and have herd people say " it will never be done" which was another of our main motivation.

Last edited:

fistfullabar

Mr Simmons i would like to point out that it is not just the rod and flywheel but the nature of the casting and the quality of the metal. I had the stock 2.8 db engine and the crankshaft at the keyway just kind of did this...........

....oh it worked but the clutch would not engage!!

Mr Simmons i would like to point out that it is not just the rod and flywheel but the nature of the casting and the quality of the metal. I had the stock 2.8 db engine and the crankshaft at the keyway just kind of did this...........

....oh it worked but the clutch would not engage!!
That had nothing to do with the clutch not working but understand your point. That also comes form the clutch not being tight on the shaft. The point in making these rods is because not everyone wants to put a kid on a 212 even with a governor. The 212 is just too much for a unskilled 50-90lbs rider and we all know this. There is 7 kids that me and my cousin work with ranging from 50-110lbs and with a 212 their either about to run into something from the excessive power or ripping motor plates off from the torque.

fistfullabar

The clutch worked fine until the KEY sheered OFF the KEYWAY on the crankshaft and it was on there correctly tightened plus if your worried about little kids going fast then why remove the governors and add race parts? Trust me i love billet parts but there are many reasons why i feel my money is spent on "better engines". But rock on!!!

a Briggs 3 or 3.5hp motor is perfect for the young kids, the little 2.8 Baja is barley enough. the 3.5hp motors are real fun in the Motovox, fit great & look good too.

The clutch worked fine until the KEY sheered OFF the KEYWAY on the crankshaft and it was on there correctly tightened plus if your worried about little kids going fast then why remove the governors and add race parts? Trust me i love billet parts but there are many reasons why i feel my money is spent on "better engines". But rock on!!!
The briggs is a better engine by a long shot hands down just like the 5.5/6.5 honda is better than the predator 212 but people still build them. we are just playing around with all the engines we have which are 2.5, 2.8, 3/3.5 briggs all the way up to 11/13 honda and 16hp v twin briggs. I just thought that i would post what we were doing in our spare time and sense i saw people asked about this suff a few times before i posted the question. I mean really, I know people are not going to dump a bunch of money in the 2.5/2.8 but i'm having fun doing so. anyhow I'm going back to my trailer and me and the kids going to play some more.

any updates on the Briggs 3hp billet rod? availability and price?
Still working on the price. The problem is that I'm having a small shop make them so it's not cheap at this point. I'm going to get it done so the program will be there then work the price out. The price they would be made at now they would only sell to a real gear head.