Bird Nighthawk Project

Proud owner of a nighthawk as well!

Nice bike looks like its coming along great! I have made a few adjustments on my bike but my bike runs strong with original 5hp Tecumseh motor. I have original plastics and had governor adjusted. I'm 5'5 140lbs and can do about 30+mph

no the dope I bought it from probably didn't realize he re-assembled the bike like that after his ghetto paintjob. That bike came in and out of my hands in less than 4 days. I pulled the engine and sold the bike.

Nice bike looks like its coming along great! I have made a few adjustments on my bike but my bike runs strong with original 5hp Tecumseh motor. I have original plastics and had governor adjusted. I'm 5'5 140lbs and can do about 30+mph
Mine has an HS40 on it. I had always thought it was the original engine (just because it looked as aged as the bike when I got it). Does anyone know if they sold this bike with a choice of engine size?

I painted the engine. Used engine enamel for the primer and paint. Forgot to get a picture of the painted engine, but here it is during the priming.

I went with white for the engine paint. I think it looks decent; just can't let anyone look at it too close or they will see the paint runs! :doah: I need more patience.

Almost ready to fire it up! I am pleased with how the rear sprocket turned out. Although its so large the that sprocket will hit curbs if I drop it at too sharp of an angle (from riding it briefly before I started to tear it down).

The black cover over the clutch is an old kitchen pot I am in the process of turning into a clutch cover. Thinking white with a pink ring around it.

Now to craft a throttle linkage . . .

Well, I haven't done much with my project for a while, but I did take it around the block a few times today. (Still does not have a throttle hooked up yet, but I made it work.)

YouTube - ‪2011-05-30_15-46-22_204.3gp‬‏

The good news is that it was the funnest 15 minutes I've had in a long time. The bad news is that it grenade'd. I haven't torn into it yet, but the hole punched into the case is a pretty good indicator. :doah:

Now I've got to read up on the forum on the Harbor Freight engines to see if I can make one work for this application. :censure:

Wow.........Sorry to here about your engine. :confused:
Great job you did on that bike !!!!!!

I've heard people say Tecumseh is no longer around, but there website is still up.:shrug:

So I found the HF coupon I had been waiting for and took the plunge on a Predator 6.5 ($99.00).

Any suggestions as to whether I should make a level mounting plate? As you can see, there is a pretty good angle with the stock frame/engine combo. Thanks.

I decided to mount it on the angled mounting plate without making a bracket for it. It seems to run fine with no carburetion issues. It has so much more torque than the old Tech did. The good news is that for my purposes (a bike for my wife) it has plenty of power without having to do any upgrades. I will have to make a custom muffler, though.

I made an exhaust manifold and replaced the stock muffler. Not the prettiest thing ever, but it was cheap to do and functions just fine. I'm debating whether engine paint can hold up to exhaust temperatures. The next step is to build a clutch cover.

I am in the middle of a rebuild of the exact same setup!

I have been considering installing the HF motor, could you post more pictures of how it fits and so on?

Thanks!

well that's.....pink
Yes it is. Its rattled-can pink, so it might not last too long. Seems like every time I look at it, more paint goes flying off. :doah: Its for the wife, who has yet to ride it. However, I just barely got it to the point that it is safe to ride, so I hope she gives it a shot.

I am in the middle of a rebuild of the exact same setup!

I have been considering installing the HF motor, could you post more pictures of how it fits and so on?

Thanks!
Sure, it might take a few days as I only have time to play with the bike on weekends. I can say this, though. The Predator 6.5 is actually a lot of engine for the bike. The vibration is crazy- tingly hands and feet after 5 minutes. Also, the physical size is big; the starter/blower housing sticks pretty far out on the right side of the bike (one picture shows this pretty well). And as you can see, an aftermarket/custom exhaust is absolutely necessary. The plus side is there is plenty of power stock out of the box for my purposes and it has two throttle hook-ups which made for easy work.

Finally, the bike is so light, and the wheel-base is so narrow, that even the stock engine can pull wheelies, even at moving speeds. Now I see why this one has a wheelie-bar added: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/33510-my-bird-nighthawk-build-6.html