Bit by the Doodle Bug

2SlickNick

I did it again...I purchased another Doodle Bug and will have another project.

It started with me buying my daughter her DB30 ( which I P&P, removed governor, and added a header pipe). Then I bought one for myself and renamed it the Doodle Devil ( added Devil's tail sissy bar, side mount gas tank, TC with 7" driven, street tires, 53T sprocket, removed gov, big jet and e-tube, air filter and header). I also added detachable leaner style type side car with Devil horns ( that is where my 5 year old boy with special needs will ride.

Now I needed one for the wife and my 3 year old son. I wanted to do something cool and thought I would take a wack at trike build (I use to race ATC's in the 80's and love 3 wheels).

I plan on extending about 6" and adding a dumbmy set of handle bars with foot pegs for a child to sit in front of the adult. It will have a live axle (because that is what I have at the house), torque converter, and wheelie bar. I also have a 5hp Briggs flat head with gov removed, P&P, header, and manifold to accept clone carb bigger jets.

I have a 40" axle and the wheelbase of a DB30 is approx 36" so adding 6" seems logical.

This is the place to be for MB's and trikes. Everyone has already been helpful ( " Thank you " ) so it is time for me to start this build thread.

Attachments

2SlickNick

Thanks Jdogg.

I decided not to got with an an engine adapter plate for this build. Since I am starting with a torque converter and should not need to adjust the engine side to side.
Looks a little sloppy, but not too bad for using an angle grinder. I ran out if attachments for my dremel, once I get more I can clean up the slots a bit. I am unsure if I will weld/ fill the old slots closed or not; yet.

Attachments

2SlickNick

Well, The UPS man rescheduled my delivery of my tubing ( inside plug). It should be here tomorrow (pending weather), then I can weld the extra 6" inches in.

I went ahead and welded in axle hangers. They are approximately the same height as the stock axle was. which gives me a 6-7" ground clearance with the 15" tires. I like the lower look, like on my Doddle Devil with 13" tires ( 4" ground clearance ). I might go with 13" tires in the future.

Just a few picks of rear end mach up.

Attachments

2SlickNick

Thanks...

Still waiting on the UPS man...
So I decided to not do handle bars for the child passenger, because it might get in the way.

I decided to bend up some 1/2" tubing a just make a grab bar.
Maybe I will start on some foot pegs until the UPS brown truck comes rolling in....

Attachments

2SlickNick

Pic 1: Plugs are 9" long and then the 6" long extension

Pic 2: How I will weld using rossette weld in the plugs, then weld the extensions in to the plugs and main frame.

Pic 3: The stretch... I need to grind and clean up welds still.

Pic 4 Is a handle off a surgical bone chisel and driver. I found 2 of these at my father in-laws office. They look to make the perfect foot peg for my son. They are aluminum and have a 9/16" fine thread. I will weld the bolt on then just screw pegs on.

Attachments

2SlickNick

I fabricated a band brake mount out of 3/4" angled steel (it was actually 3/4" square tube ) and a 3/8" clevis pin.
I added a 7/8" OD tube crossbar for additional support. ( it does clear chain in mock up)

Next days I get off I hope to relocate seat bracket, fab up remote fuel tank mount (under seat) , and foot peg placement.

Attachments

2SlickNick

Progress from the last 2 days consists of: Relocated seat brackets. Added the old fender hoop to the bottom of the frame - as a sprocket guard. Under seat gas tank bracket welded up and cut old foot pegs off and welded a 3/8" grade 8 bolt and added my old highway/cruising pegs from my motorcycle.

IMG_5507[1].JPG

2SlickNick

Engine came in the mail yesterday.
Went ahead and pulled governor, plugged hole, tapped the valve cover, and added air filter adapter.

The wife wanted the stock muffler left on since it is not loud, but clearance issues won't allow that.

I will use a weenie pipe that is missing the flange ( Thanks Eric ), but has screw on muffler end. I will adapt that to fit and use screw on muffler.

Also made a top plate (from 55 gallon drum) today to house the fuel pump.

2SlickNick

Okay my Walboro fuel pump is mounted.

My question is hooking it up...
Did I do it right?

I assume the " P "on pump is for pulse - right?

and the " Inlet " is from fuel tank - right?

So the blank one goes to my carb - right?